Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Blog Comments

  1. Thrylos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegrin
    I am disappointed that Brett Lee was not on your list. Even though he is currently on the DL, he has been a consistent starter in CR last year and with the Miracle this year.
    This is a very deep system and more talented pitchers than Lee have been omitted as well. His k rate is sub par and his WHIP is about average his stuff is not great as well and he has been average age for the leagues he was playing. Situational lefty is his ceiling I am afraid. Wheeler and Melotakis, fellow FSL LHPs are better prospects and also left out.
  2. Thrylos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard
    I like that you're high on Minier, but there were reports that he tore his labrum in his throwing shoulder and might not play much, if at all, this season. Even if he did, I can't imagine he wouldn't have some lingering issues.
    I am aware of his procedure. He is not a pitcher. 90% of hitters who have this procedure return to normal levels within 6 months. His was mid February so look at him to play mid August and winter ball. Similar situation with Sano. No long term effects Google batter's shoulder and pubmed and look at the first 2-3 studies if you don't believe me. I am really high on him like I have been with Vargas and Pinto the past 2-3 years.
  3. Thegrin's Avatar
    I am disappointed that Brett Lee was not on your list. Even though he is currently on the DL, he has been a consistent starter in CR last year and with the Miracle this year.
  4. Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    I like that you're high on Minier, but there were reports that he tore his labrum in his throwing shoulder and might not play much, if at all, this season. Even if he did, I can't imagine he wouldn't have some lingering issues.
  5. tarheeltwinsfan's Avatar
    Thanks. I enjoyed reading this. It took lots of time to study and arrange and write. I admire you for being willing to suffer the slings and arrows of our fellow posters. Good stuff.
  6. Thrylos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt
    Little high on some of the new guys(especially Clay), also might need to see if they sign first. Gordon is already signed, so should have a place.
    Nice entertaining list though.
    I assume that the other 3 sign. Only one of them might be an issue and that was indicated.

    Do you mean I ranked Clay too high or too low? (smaller numbers are higher.)
  7. beckmt's Avatar
    Little high on some of the new guys(especially Clay), also might need to see if they sign first. Gordon is already signed, so should have a place.
    Nice entertaining list though.
  8. Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    I also think Perkins has the inside track. Gardenhire was named a bench coach and he and Perk seem pretty tight, so if Gardy has any sway it might be Perkins (provided he maintains the numbers). OTOH adding a former Yankee might be a fun bit of schadenfreude for a Boston manager. On the third hand, if Dozier continues hitting (say he somehow reaches 20/20 at the break) it will be tough to leave him off. And obviously I am just guessing about all of this
  9. Sconnie's Avatar
    The All-Star for the Twins should be Hughes or Dozier, but I think it will be Perkins.

    i was optimistic about the signing, and am further heartened by the start. I hope he can continue his duchess as the data suggests he could. Being in a larger park really did help his performance. Imagine what a real major league outfielding defense could do.

    Not a high bar, but he has been the Twins' best pitcher this season. Even with the rotation shaping up over the last 3 weeks or so, he has continued to be their best pitcher.
  10. Thrylos's Avatar
    The fans do not vote for pitchers

    And the Twins need a representative. And if nobody is voted by the fans, one will be chosen by John Farrell. I suspect that Cano and Pedroia will be ahead of Dozier, so Hughes will likely make it...
  11. h2oface's Avatar
    I guess I would reserve the word "great" for greatness, and not goodness. The first three starts still count. Certainly just about all great pitchers will have a few real rotten outings each year. 3 out of 5 and I am not ready to anoint Hughes an All-Star. He has time to become one, I guess, since the All-Star designation, especially with the fans voting as they do, has become quite fickle, and is only usually based on a hot start each year. If the All-Stars were picked and voted on for a whole season's work, the teams would rarely look like the same teams, and especially the pitchers.
    Updated 05-18-2014 at 01:14 PM by h2oface
  12. tarheeltwinsfan's Avatar
    MVP...MVP...MVP
  13. Sconnie's Avatar
    Thanks Thrylos, I'm curious about him as well, and hope he can prove the detractors wrong.
  14. clutterheart's Avatar
    His Fastball sat all night between 94 and 96 mph, touching as high as 97 and as low as 92 on occasion, and was a ball that he threw all over the zone. Inside and out and up and down
    Do you mean to say he doesn't have good command of the FB?

    Great write up, great pics. Thanks!
  15. Sconnie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bear333
    There is such a lack of leadership, enthusiasm and cohesion with this lineup that it really doesn't matter that they brought in some old alumni that can't hit. This looks like a team that has set itself to loose 100 games. The league is full of ex Twins that are better than anything we are fielding right now. I have lost all confidence in Gardenhire as a manager. I hope they bring in someone else, next year. Paul Molitor?
    you mean to tell me that the prank on Pelfrey could possibly be ineffective at "good cop/bad cop" model of team building? There's a reason most managers don't survive three 90 loss seasons in a row, and the ones that do, get fired mid season in their 4th.

    I'm not on the fire Gardy band wagon. He isn't the GM and can't make his own roster decisions. He can only do his best with Bartlett, which is to make him the fire alarm. He should have a box surrounding him in the dugout that reads "break glass in case of emergency"
  16. bear333's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie
    I'm with you Thrylos. At the end of the day, Bartlett is the emergency backup. He isn't going to be on the field much, so I'm not so worked up about him or his position, so much as what he means to the team as a figurehead.

    Do you think there is something to the notion that the reason Kubel and Bartlett are on this team right now, is to teach the kids "The Twins Way" kind of player life-coaches?

    I don't have a problem with Kubel or Bartlett so much as what they could represent. If this roster remains somewhat intact throughout this season, I'm disappointed because it points to nostalgia and apathy. Just waiting for reinforcements to arrive in 2016, then 2017...

    If those two are on this team because management sees them as player coaches, and a significant number of veterans on the opening day roster are planned to be traded (ie, Willingham, Florimon, Plouffe, Dozier, Duensing, Correia) and we successfully see a big youth movement this season, I'm all for it.
    There is such a lack of leadership, enthusiasm and cohesion with this lineup that it really doesn't matter that they brought in some old alumni that can't hit. This looks like a team that has set itself to loose 100 games. The league is full of ex Twins that are better than anything we are fielding right now. I have lost all confidence in Gardenhire as a manager. I hope they bring in someone else, next year. Paul Molitor?
  17. gil4's Avatar
    "Yesterday Eddie" - nice.

    The only thing I like about the idea of Bartlett and Kubel making the team is nostalgia, and that is mainly applies to Kubel. Bartlett was a decent player in his prime and was a whole lot better than Brendan Harris, but hopefully the nice things I said sound like damning with faint praise. He was an adequate SS who was undervalued by his team and traded for an inadequate one.

    Kubel his hard to think about without wondering what might have been if he hadn't blown his knee out, but what he became was still pretty good for a while.
    Updated 03-28-2014 at 01:14 PM by gil4 (wasn't quite done)
  18. Sconnie's Avatar
    I'm with you Thrylos. At the end of the day, Bartlett is the emergency backup. He isn't going to be on the field much, so I'm not so worked up about him or his position, so much as what he means to the team as a figurehead.

    Do you think there is something to the notion that the reason Kubel and Bartlett are on this team right now, is to teach the kids "The Twins Way" kind of player life-coaches?

    I don't have a problem with Kubel or Bartlett so much as what they could represent. If this roster remains somewhat intact throughout this season, I'm disappointed because it points to nostalgia and apathy. Just waiting for reinforcements to arrive in 2016, then 2017...

    If those two are on this team because management sees them as player coaches, and a significant number of veterans on the opening day roster are planned to be traded (ie, Willingham, Florimon, Plouffe, Dozier, Duensing, Correia) and we successfully see a big youth movement this season, I'm all for it.
  19. Blackjack's Avatar
    Yikes!!! Grim report!!

    Instead of extra practice for the offenders, how about wind sprints or laps for the whole team?? Gardy needs to make them all realize that he's serious!!
  20. Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    I disagree with the patience given to Plouffe by this organization, but that sort of thing is just a symptom of a larger problem. We can hope the pitching is so good (or good enough) that the quality of play rises overall and we get some wins, and build on that.
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.