Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
  • Why do Twins fans boo Derek Jeter??



    Last night, in Game 1 of the ALCS, the New York Yankees lost an extra-inning game to Delmon Young and the Detroit Tigers. More important, they lost their captain Derek Jeter for the rest of the season because of a broken ankle. The news is devastating considering he is one Yankees hitter who is actually hitting. Alex Rodriguez is taking all of the heat, but Robinson Cano, Nick Swisher, Curtis Granderson and others are doing very little.


    The news is devastating to the Yankees and fans of the Yankees. It also is disappointing to fans who just want to watch greatness.

    The Yankees will go on, and they may even be able to win the ALCS and even the World Series. But to pretend that losing Jeter and replacing him with Jayson Nix at shortstop is anything but devastating is just not understanding. As Toronto Star columnist Richard Griffin tweeted on Sunday, “Jeter is to Nix as gift basket+limo is to Skittles+subway token.”

    It got me thinking again about what of the most perplexing things about some Twins fans. Why does Derek Jeter get booed so loudly when he comes to Minnesota??

    I’m going to try to answer that question, or at least propose some ideas. Maybe you have more? Feel free to voice them in the Comments.

    “He’s Overrated”


    OK, we used to hear that one all the time, but when you can make a case that he is the greatest shortstop of all time, it kind of stops meaning much. The only shortstop in big league history that I think is probably a little bit better than Captain Clutch is Honus Wager, and his final season was in 1917. I think an argument could be made for the baseball of today being a little better than that of a century ago.

    Of those playing in the last few decades, there simply aren’t many to compare Jeter to. Alex Rodriguez and Nomar Garciaparra joined Jeter as AL shortstop beasts for a while, but Jeter has far outlasted them. Garciaparra struggled with injuries before retiring several years ago. Rodriguez moved to 3B when he joined the Yankees. While Jeter has played 2,585 games at the position, A-Rod has played just 1,272 games there.

    Similarly, Hall of Famer Robin Yount played 1,479 games at shortstop before moving to the outfield when he played over 1,200 games. Ernie Banks played just 1,125 games at shortstop and 1,259 games at first base. Of course, Jeter’s career OPS (to this point) is .829, and Yount’s was .772 while Banks’ was at .830.

    Cal Ripken is the one that we can compare Jeter to as he played over 2,300 games at shortstop before finishing his career with another 675 games at the hot corner.



    Name Games H/AB BA/OBP/SLG (OPS) 2B/3B/HR RBI/Runs
    Derek Jeter 2,585 3,304/10,551 .313/.382/.448 (.829) 524/65/255 1,254/1,868 398 SB
    Honus Wagner 2,794 3,420/10,439 .328/.391/.467 (.858) 643/252/101 1,475/1,739 723 SB
    Cal Ripken 3,001 3,184/11,551 .276/.340/.447 (.788) 603/44/431 1,695/1,647
    Alex Rodriguez 2,524 2,901/9,662 .300/.384/.560 (.945) 512/30/647 1,950/1,898
    Robin Yount 2,856 3,142/11,008 .285/.342/.430 (.772) 583/126/251 1,406/1,632 271 SB
    Ernie Banks 2,528 2,538/9,421 .274/.330/.500 (.830) 407/90/512 1,636/1,305


    “Because he’s a Yankee”


    Jeter grew up in Kalamazoo, Michigan and graduated from high school in 1992. With the 6th overall pick in that draft, the New York Yankees drafted him. He became a top prospect and was up with the team by September of 1995. He became a star, and like so many others throughout history, he has stayed with the same team. Kirby Puckett stayed with the Twins his whole career. Cal Ripken is synonymous with the Baltimore Orioles. The all-time great Yankees throughout history like Lou Gehrig, Mickey Mantle, Joe Dimaggio, Whitey Ford and Yogi Berra all stayed with the team their whole career. Derek Jeter is a lifelong New York Yankee, and that’s the way it should be.

    If you don’t like the Yankees because they spend so much money, well, I guess that’s cool. Lots of fans don’t, and that’s fine. But, Derek Jeter has nothing to do with those decisions.

    “He’s a Winner”


    In most places in society, that is considered a good thing, isn’t it? Has he been the sole reason for the five World Series championships (and two other World Series teams) that the Yankees have had in his career? Of course not, but no winning team has just one great player. Has he been a big part of those championships? Without question.

    Jeter has essentially played an extra season in his career, in the playoffs. He has played 158 playoff games and hit .308/.374/.465 (.838) with 32 doubles, five triples, 20 home runs, 61 RBI and 111 runs scored. (By the way, in case anyone is wondering, those numbers are not included in his career numbers listed above.)

    In the World Series, Jeter has been just as good. He has hit .321/.384/.449 (.832) in 58 games.

    “The Media Loves Him”


    Yup… and I can’t blame them. He’s great in interviews. He’s always been and shown tremendous class. He talks during good and bad times.

    It’s like the Brett Favre situation, or Duke basketball. Since Tim Tebow was added to the New York Jets this past summer, they certainly fit into this category too.

    I’m not sure what people want in these scenarios. What do people want Tim Tebow to do? Not be himself? Do they want him to become a jerk? Same thing with Jeter. Is he supposed to not act classy? Should he try to get in trouble with the law? He isn’t asking for all the extra attention, and he shouldn’t have to ask that people stop loving him the way they do. He’s put himself into the upper echelon of elite baseball players of all time, and he has handled it with class since day one. As a fan, that’s pretty impressive. As a parent, I would think he would be quite the role model for kids.

    He has even won the Roberto Clemente Award for community service.

    “He Dates Women that We Dream About”


    Mariah Carey. Jordana Brewster. Vanessa Minnillo. Miss Universe (Lara Dutta). Scarlett Johansson. Jessica Biel. Jessica Alba. Minka Kelly.

    Yup. He does. But let’s be honest here. If they weren’t dating Derek Jeter, they probably still would not have been dating you either.

    “If we boo him, it will distract him!”


    One of the things I’ll never understand is why home fans boo when the opposing pitcher throws over to first base on a pick-off attempt. It’s part of the game! I’ve been told that some fans do that in an attempt to distract the pitcher, and sometimes they take credit for a pitcher throwing wildly. The pitcher wasn’t distracted by the booing. He just threw wildly.

    Maybe there are some Twins fans who think that booing Jeter distracts him from hitting. Well, in 52 games at the Metrodome, he posted a .779 OPS, and in ten games so far at Target Field, his OPS is .778. So, it’s not working. Overall against the Twins, he is hitting (in 125 games) .323/.388/.470 (.857) with 32 doubles, two triples, 13 homers and 57 RBI. So yes, he is better at Yankees Stadium than he is when hitting in Minnesota, but I would venture to guess that is not unusual.

    “The Twins Can’t Develop a Shortstop”


    Since Derek Jeter took over as the Yankees shortstop at the start of the 1996 season, the Twins have used 31 players at shortstop. It may not be all that impressive, but I think we can all admit that it isn’t Jeter’s fault. In fact, the #1 on this list came to the Twins because he was never going to get a shot with the Yankees. This is a fun list to review, if only to remember some futility.

    Cristian Guzman (833), Pat Meares (433), Jason Bartlett (310), Nick Punto (248), Denny Hocking (243), Juan Castro (123), Brendan Harris (122), JJ Hardy (100), Brian Dozier (83), Alexi Casilla (77), Tsuyoshi Nishioka (60), Trevor Plouffe (55), Matt Tolbert (51), Adam Everett (44), Pedro Florimon (43), Jamey Carroll (37), Jeff Reboulet (37), Chris Gomez (17), Jason Maxwell (17), Luis Rodriguez (12), Luis Rivas (8), Augie Ojeda (7), Eduardo Escobar (6), Ariel Prieto (4), Cleatus Davidson (4), David Lamb (4), Brent Gates (2), Dave Hollins (1), Chuck Knoblauch (1), Jon Shave (1), Tommy Watkins (1).

    “He shouldn’t have won (those FIVE) Gold Gloves”


    You’re probably right, but he’s certainly not the only player to win a Gold Glove because of his offense. That happens all the time. Twins fans likely still remember when Rafael Palmiero won a Gold Glove at 1B despite playing just 17 games at first base (And the rest as a DH) while Doug Mientkiewicz was making all the plays with his first baseman’s mitt. He doesn’t have much range, but it’s not like Jeter is a butcher at shortstop.

    Jeter was also the 1996 AL Rookie of the Year. He has played in 13 All Star games. He won four Silver Slugger Awards. In 2006 and 2009, he was the Hank Aaron Award winner as the top hitter in the league. Three times he has finished in the Top 3 in the league in AL MVP voting. In fact, many very wise baseball people made the strong argument that Jeter, and not the Twins Justin Morneau, should have won the 2006 award.


    So, as Derek Jeter’s 2012 playoff runs comes to an end, I can’t help but ask, “Why do Twins fans boo Derek Jeter?” Why?
    This article was originally published in blog: Why do Twins fans boo Derek Jeter?? started by Seth Stohs
    Comments 49 Comments
    1. greengoblinrulz's Avatar
      greengoblinrulz -
      He's the best player on the most hated team in MLB....pretty easy
      Just because he's booed doesnt mean he's not heavily respected just like booing doesnt have to mean hatred
    1. clutterheart's Avatar
      clutterheart -
      Jester is awesome. I love watching him play. I never understood it too.
    1. mike wants wins's Avatar
      mike wants wins -
      I don't know, but I'd guess, well, I don't know.
    1. darin617's Avatar
      darin617 -
      Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
      He's the best player on the most hated team in MLB....pretty easy
      Just because he's booed doesnt mean he's not heavily respected just like booing doesnt have to mean hatred
      I guess this must go the same for AJ Pierzynski.
    1. one_eyed_jack's Avatar
      one_eyed_jack -
      Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
      He's the best player on the most hated team in MLB....pretty easy
      Just because he's booed doesnt mean he's not heavily respected just like booing doesnt have to mean hatred
      I guess this must go the same for AJ Pierzynski.

      ---Obviously. It couldn't be because different players get booed for different reasons.
    1. jm3319's Avatar
      jm3319 -
      because Jeter IS the Yankees and Twins fans better hate the Yankees. I respect Jeter, but because he plays on the Yankees, I hate his guts. I feel bad for him getting hurt though because injuries aren't good for anybody. No sympathy towards the Yankees though.
    1. Winston Smith's Avatar
      Winston Smith -
      He plays for the Yankees what other reason do you need or is this a Minnesota nice trick question?
    1. greengoblinrulz's Avatar
      greengoblinrulz -
      Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
      He's the best player on the most hated team in MLB....pretty easy
      Just because he's booed doesnt mean he's not heavily respected just like booing doesnt have to mean hatred
      I guess this must go the same for AJ Pierzynski.
      Ive never thought that MN fans dont appreciate what AJ did here for 3 yrs.....but he's an arrogant player who takes onfield cheap shots for the Twins #1 rival. Not hard to figure out.
      Ive always personally hated Torii Hunter more as he left for nothing more than money (but claimed it wasnt) cause he was tired of MN.
      SO glad he never won anything with ANA
    1. Bark's Lounge's Avatar
      Bark's Lounge -
      First and foremost - I think Jeter is great and is the face of MLB in my private little world.

      I take issue with the statement that insinuated that none of us could date and romance the high profile women that Jeter has. In fact, I have dated all of them, and romanced some of them (after Jeter of course). Call me a "left over specialist", but a "dumpster diver" would be the more correct term - some of the aforementioned ladies were high maintenance. I am getting a headache just thinking about it.

      One of Jeter's unmentioned past girlfriends - Veronica - I ended up dating and getting married to. We're still together and life is a joy. We even have a portrait hanging of Derek in our sleeping quarters - at her request I must admit. I am not too sure of the significance of the portrait - but I like it... it is a nice portrayal of Derek Jeter... it looks sharp.
    1. John Bonnes's Avatar
      John Bonnes -
      Quick questions - I also dislike Aaron Rodgers. Is that allowed?
    1. Seth Stohs's Avatar
      Seth Stohs -
      Great response, Bark!! I enjoyed it, and I am sorry to have presumed that none of the Twins Daily readers would be able to date one of Jeter's exes!!! Ha!
    1. ScottyB's Avatar
      ScottyB -
      Quote Originally Posted by jm3319 View Post
      because Jeter IS the Yankees and Twins fans better hate the Yankees. I respect Jeter, but because he plays on the Yankees, I hate his guts. I feel bad for him getting hurt though because injuries aren't good for anybody. No sympathy towards the Yankees though.
      This. I don't personally boo Jeter, but only because I refuse to go to a Yankee game. I would boo EVERY yankee, not just Jeter. But he OWNS the Twins, I think we've retired him about twice in his career. Maybe its his smirk that irritates me. I'm so glad that the Tigers are up 2-0. The Yankees have missed the playoffs just once since the ALDS came into existance. Oh for the good old days of just the ALCS. My favorite period in Yankee history was from 1965 to 1976, when they sucked.
    1. kirbyelway's Avatar
      kirbyelway -
      To be rich, good-looking, be pretty much the most loved athlete in NYC and to have the common sense to remain single. THE SMARTEST SOB EVER, BAR NONE!!!!!!
    1. edavis0308's Avatar
      edavis0308 -
      Simply put, I'm tired of hearing the media gush about him. It's hard not to hate a guy even if you do respect the guy as a great player if you try to watch any baseball coverage on tv, let's say on ESPN, that isn't a Yankees game, but yet they tie half their information in their coverage to Jeter or the Yankees. I would love to know the percentage of time ESPN spends talking about the Yankees and Red Sox compared to every other team combined. I was watching NFL network this morning before the games started and I had to sit through a Jeter segment. Do you know how annoying that is? And your argument that he has been loyal and stayed with the same team his whole career is flimsy at best. They can pay out the nose for his declining production (defense counts too) and have it not be a burden like most teams would. You can't tell me that if Jeter came up with the Royals, you would be using the whole loyalty argument. Yes, he's the model of consistency and performance when it matters most. But to think that people hate him because of who he dates etc is completely missing the point.
    1. jm3319's Avatar
      jm3319 -
      Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
      Quick questions - I also dislike Aaron Rodgers. Is that allowed?

      It's not only allowed, it's encouraged. Well done, sir. Same thing: Good player, most hated team for Minnesota, respect his ability and him (kinda, i personally think he is a bit of a tool though) and love to see him get sacked 8 times in a half and lose as often as possible.
    1. Fire Dan Gladden's Avatar
      Fire Dan Gladden -
      As a fan who is sick and tired of the Jeter "mystic", let me say this: He is overrated. You may think it hard to say that a player with 3300 hits is overrated, but it is actually pretty simple:

      - He has played on a team that constantly has all-star players batting around him, which can only make his job that much easier.
      - At any given time, he was never considered the best current player at his position (Tejada, A-Rod, Nomar, Rollins, Ramirez).
      - He has only led the league in PA (5 times), AB (once), Runs (once) and hits (twice). Not exactly dominating numbers considering what he supposedly brings to the table.
      - Never an MVP
      - While he has 5 GG, every defensive metric under the sun shows him to be a sub-par to atrocious defender.
      - His biggest plus is that he rarely misses a game. Now that isn't a bad thing, but we don't have any problem destroying compiliers, why does Jeter get a pass in this area.

      Let's talk about Cap'n Jetes "ability" to lead a team:
      - Refused to even discuss moving from short when the team acquired A-Rod, though at the time A-Rod was a superior defensive player.
      - He plays the media to make himself look better. When A-Rod struggles, Jeter is mysteriously silent. But if others struggle, Jeter will publicly support them. He's done this to others as well.
      - Refused to discuss moving to the outfield, though it would make the team better. Yount, Biggio... Cabrera moved back to 3B this year to accomidate Fielder. Jeter just has to look to his right for somebody willing to sacrifice for the team.

      Many other things he gets credit for crack me up:
      - All-Star selections are meaningless. It's a popularity contest.
      - Yes, Derek Jeter dates "dream" women. So does virtually every other MLB player. Seriously, have you seen the wives of most of these guys? Also, do you suppose they all got the Derek Jeter date package left for them in the backseat of the car the morning after?

      Derek Jeter is an elitist, self-centered, egomaniac. I boo Derek Jeter because he is a Yankee and because I believe him to be overrated. If he played for the Royals his whole career, would you put him over George Brett? I wouldn't.

      The Jeter legend is driven solely by the media. Put him on a midwestern team and he becomes Craig Biggio. Not a bad player, just not a "greatest of all time"
    1. Boom Boom's Avatar
      Boom Boom -
      I always thought it was because the Twins have had such a rough time with the Yankees in the Gardenhire era. Jeter has been killing the Twins for a long time. Why should Twins fans cheer that?
    1. Riverbrian's Avatar
      Riverbrian -
      I don't boo Jeter. I boo Yankees. He happens to be one. Put Jeter in a Twins uniform and my booing would halt. Put Revere in a Yankee Uniform and I'll boo his ass!
    1. one_eyed_jack's Avatar
      one_eyed_jack -
      Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
      As a fan who is sick and tired of the Jeter "mystic", let me say this: He is overrated. You may think it hard to say that a player with 3300 hits is overrated, but it is actually pretty simple:

      - He has played on a team that constantly has all-star players batting around him, which can only make his job that much easier.
      - At any given time, he was never considered the best current player at his position (Tejada, A-Rod, Nomar, Rollins, Ramirez).
      - He has only led the league in PA (5 times), AB (once), Runs (once) and hits (twice). Not exactly dominating numbers considering what he supposedly brings to the table.
      - Never an MVP
      - While he has 5 GG, every defensive metric under the sun shows him to be a sub-par to atrocious defender.
      - His biggest plus is that he rarely misses a game. Now that isn't a bad thing, but we don't have any problem destroying compiliers, why does Jeter get a pass in this area.

      Let's talk about Cap'n Jetes "ability" to lead a team:
      - Refused to even discuss moving from short when the team acquired A-Rod, though at the time A-Rod was a superior defensive player.
      - He plays the media to make himself look better. When A-Rod struggles, Jeter is mysteriously silent. But if others struggle, Jeter will publicly support them. He's done this to others as well.
      - Refused to discuss moving to the outfield, though it would make the team better. Yount, Biggio... Cabrera moved back to 3B this year to accomidate Fielder. Jeter just has to look to his right for somebody willing to sacrifice for the team.

      Many other things he gets credit for crack me up:
      - All-Star selections are meaningless. It's a popularity contest.
      - Yes, Derek Jeter dates "dream" women. So does virtually every other MLB player. Seriously, have you seen the wives of most of these guys? Also, do you suppose they all got the Derek Jeter date package left for them in the backseat of the car the morning after?

      Derek Jeter is an elitist, self-centered, egomaniac. I boo Derek Jeter because he is a Yankee and because I believe him to be overrated. If he played for the Royals his whole career, would you put him over George Brett? I wouldn't.

      The Jeter legend is driven solely by the media. Put him on a midwestern team and he becomes Craig Biggio. Not a bad player, just not a "greatest of all time"
      ---His defense is somewhat overrated. He wouldn't get as much hype and exposure had he spent his career in KC or Cleveland. And yeah, the whole St. Jeter thing gets old. However, you're going way too far in other other direction here by ignoring the amazing career he's had dismissing him as a compiler. The guy is a first ballot HOFer for sure.
    1. Montecore's Avatar
      Montecore -
      Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
      He's the best player on the most hated team in MLB....pretty easyhe Yankees suck
      Just because he's booed doesnt mean he's not heavily respected just like booing doesnt have to mean hatred
      The Yankees suck, that's why exactly. As far as "Because he dates women we dream about" - there's only one woman on that list I'm halfway attracted to (Scarlett J.). The rest aren't much more than floozies.
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.