Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
  • Terry Ryan: Twins Will Chase "Pretty Darn Good" Pitcher

    Terry Ryan is serious about improving the team's pitching.In our TwinsCentric Offseason Handbook, we’re including a transcript from a 45-minute meeting "State of the Twins" interview with Terry Ryan. As you can imagine, an 8000-word interview covers a lot of topics, including:

    • the strengths of the new coaching staff,
    • Joe Mauer’s future at catcher,
    • additional offseason priorities beyond starting pitching,
    • how Twins approach waiver wire or minor league free agents,
    • thoughts on the state of the Twins minor leagues,
    • his evaluation of the Twins middle infield,
    • whether Trevor Plouffe can stay at third base,
    • how the Twins will fit Chris Parmelee into the lineup,
    • and of course how the Twins will try to fix their starting rotation.


    One encouraging note, at least in my opinion, is that Ryan seems to be open to adding free agent pitchers who are a few cuts above Jason Marquis, who the Twins signed to a one-year, $3M.

    TWINSCENTRIC: As you look at the pitchers who are likely to become free agents or are scheduled to be free agents, do you think it’s a deep free agency class?
    TERRY RYAN: Thin.
    TWINSCENTRIC: You think it’s thin?
    TERRY RYAN: Sure. You tell me who you’re thinking about. I can’t comment on who is out there. There’s a few guys out there who are pretty darn good.
    TWINSCENTRIC: Are you likely to be chasing some players who are pretty darn good?
    TERRY RYAN: We better.
    TWINSCENTRIC: So you’re looking to add a top of the rotation, maybe not a #1 guy, but maybe a #2 guy or a top half of the rotation?
    TERRY RYAN: We’ll see. We’ll figure out how many years he’s looking for and how many dollars they want to get.
    TWINSCENTRIC: Are you willing to give multi-year deals to pitchers?
    TERRY RYAN: You aren’t going to get a pitcher unless you give a multi-year deal.

    So who qualifies as a “pretty darn good” pitcher? Despite Ryan’s characterization of the market as thin, there are no shortage of candidate that could be viewed as an asset to a rotation. Beyond ace Zach Greinke, the following will all likely get a contract in excess of $20 million dollars this offseason: Jake Peavy, Ryan Dempster, Dan Haren, Anibal Sanchez, Edwin Jackson, and Kyle Lohse. Another half dozen could get contracts in excess of $10 million: Hideki Kuroda, Brandon McCarthy, Hisashi Iwakuma, Ervin Santana, Joe Saunders, Jeremy Guthrie and Shaun Marcum. That’s fourteen pitchers, most of whom would raise the eyebrows of even the most skeptical Twins fan.

    However, Ryan was also hesitant to commit to a payroll number and again emphasized that the Twins rotation woes won’t be solved solely through free agency. Does this mean the Twins may only have the funds to make one major signing and look to fill the other spots via other means?

    We likely won’t need to wait too long to find out. Ryan hinted that he plans to be aggressive with players that they think are going to be a good fit. That is consistent with the Twins approach last offseason, when players like Ryan Doumit and Jamey Carroll were signed even though there were still players in higher demand available.

    ~~~

    After this last season, don't you deserve to enjoy the offseason?

    The full interview (as well as profiles of all the above pitchers) will be available in the TwinsCentric Offseason Handbook, which comes out tomorrow. You can still get it at its presale discount price through the World Series. And if you’re still on the fence, you can download a sample here.
    This article was originally published in blog: Terry Ryan: Twins Will Chase "Pretty Darn Good" Pitcher started by John Bonnes
    Comments 79 Comments
    1. Ultima Ratio's Avatar
      Ultima Ratio -
      Thin?!?! Good lord almighty.
    1. USAFChief's Avatar
      USAFChief -
      Is there a bit more substance in the rest of the interview than the "answers" Ryan provided in this sample?

      We learned nothing from these quotes.
    1. killertwinsfan's Avatar
      killertwinsfan -
      Avoid Loshe like the plauge. His only 2 good years were in the N.L. and they were supported by very low BABIP and HR rate, doubtfull he can maintain that
    1. johnnydakota's Avatar
      johnnydakota -
      so?who gives a rats A** what curly chases he to old and to cheap to catch any decent #1 or #2 pitcher
      but with waddlin ronnys need to carry 3 catchers , maybe its time to bring the PRICK back ,and sign aj to a 2 year contract ?
      1 thing this team has lacked is a vocal leader a prick and straight forward im gonna kill you leader... a j isnt well like by foe but is well recieved by his teamates, his balls in your face, old school play is some thing the twins have lacked for a very long time ...
      with justin all but shoved out the door why not sign aj to replace morneaus lefthanded power and then you can rotate the 3 catchers between home 1st and dh
    1. greengoblinrulz's Avatar
      greengoblinrulz -
      Id like to know why he thinks Pedro Florimon is a starting SS in the majors when the other 31 teams passed on a free shot at him
    1. mgraves's Avatar
      mgraves -
      Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
      Id like to know why he thinks Pedro Florimon is a starting SS in the majors when the other 31 teams passed on a free shot at him
      Florimon was a waiver pickup. Unless he fell all the way through waivers, then the Twins had first crack at him last winter, so he would not have had to be passed on by the other 29 teams.
    1. SenatorsGuy's Avatar
      SenatorsGuy -
      Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
      so?who gives a rats A** what curly chases he to old and to cheap to catch any decent #1 or #2 pitcher
      but with waddlin ronnys need to carry 3 catchers , maybe its time to bring the PRICK back ,and sign aj to a 2 year contract ?
      1 thing this team has lacked is a vocal leader a prick and straight forward im gonna kill you leader... a j isnt well like by foe but is well recieved by his teamates, his balls in your face, old school play is some thing the twins have lacked for a very long time ...
      with justin all but shoved out the door why not sign aj to replace morneaus lefthanded power and then you can rotate the 3 catchers between home 1st and dh

      There is nothing the matter with being negative on the Twins FA history or Ryan's methods - and it certainly is fine to be a fan of AJ. But you do yourself a deservice when you say things like AJ has been well received by his teammates. You simply haven't been paying attention.
    1. Fire Dan Gladden's Avatar
      Fire Dan Gladden -
      Quote Originally Posted by SenatorsGuy View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
      so?who gives a rats A** what curly chases he to old and to cheap to catch any decent #1 or #2 pitcher
      but with waddlin ronnys need to carry 3 catchers , maybe its time to bring the PRICK back ,and sign aj to a 2 year contract ?
      1 thing this team has lacked is a vocal leader a prick and straight forward im gonna kill you leader... a j isnt well like by foe but is well recieved by his teamates, his balls in your face, old school play is some thing the twins have lacked for a very long time ...
      with justin all but shoved out the door why not sign aj to replace morneaus lefthanded power and then you can rotate the 3 catchers between home 1st and dh

      There is nothing the matter with being negative on the Twins FA history or Ryan's methods - and it certainly is fine to be a fan of AJ. But you do yourself a deservice when you say things like AJ has been well received by his teammates. You simply haven't been paying attention.
      Unless I have missed something recently, everything I have read about AJ is that his teammates love him, and everybody else hates him. He plays agressive and borderline cheap, he never gets hurt, he protects hisn pitchers and teammates, and he is consistantly productive. I would welcomwe him back to this team in a heartbeat if it wasn'y for the fact there isn't a spot for him on the roster (he needs to play almost every day, he is not a good fit for Butera's spot)
    1. Twins Twerp's Avatar
      Twins Twerp -
      I'm glad TwinsDaily doesn't push the offseason handbook on it's users
    1. nick5253's Avatar
      nick5253 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
      I'm glad TwinsDaily doesn't push the offseason handbook on it's users
      Offseason Handbook? That sounds interesting. Where might I get one of those? I've heard nothing about it and I haven't seen any annoying banner ads all over Twins Daily.
    1. JB_Iowa's Avatar
      JB_Iowa -
      Since Terry Ryan never tips his hand at anything, the contents of this excerpt aren't surprising .... but then, I wouldn't expect him to say anything meaningful in the entire interview.

      Great for the speculation game but everyone will just have to wait and see what he does before learning anything definitive.
    1. Boom Boom's Avatar
      Boom Boom -
      TR keeps saying the pitching market is "thin", but it looks like one of the thickest I've seen in the past several years.
    1. mike wants wins's Avatar
      mike wants wins -
      The snarky comments about ads and the handbook are uncalled for. These guys put up this site, they can run it however they want. You know they have ads, you know they are selling their book. Yet you choose to come here. Why complain?

      On topic, if this pitching market is thin, what would a thick one look like?
    1. Winston Smith's Avatar
      Winston Smith -
      The pitching market is probably thin because we are a last place team. Quality players like to win. Or if they can't win get paid really really well. After the last two years what pitcher would look at the Twins and say here is my chance to win it all?

      My guess is that in order to get quality pitching they will have to over pay, history has shown that bad teams have had to over pay for any free agents. That makes most of these guys look less attractive because they cost much more than they are worth.

      With half or more of the teams (15-20) looking for pitching and maybe 8-10 guys that are decent starters thin seems like a good word for what is out there.
    1. dabecka's Avatar
      dabecka -
      Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
      I'm glad TwinsDaily doesn't push the offseason handbook on it's users
      I'm sorry, but why would Twins Daily crew be researching, generating unique content, editing, and publishing a e-book...then giving it away...for free.

      Last time I checked, we lived in America.
    1. Winston Smith's Avatar
      Winston Smith -
      This is the crop of FA starters. Some others may have options declined or released or just wouldn't likely fit, rumored trouble makers or injured.
      When nearly every team needs pitching this is a very thin list.

      2012 war based on 80+ innings
      Erik Bedard (34) 1.3
      Joe Blanton (32) 2.4
      Kevin Correia (32) .8
      Ryan Dempster (36) 3.3
      Zack Greinke (28) 5.1
      Dan Haren (32) 1.8
      Edwin Jackson (29) 2.7
      Hiroki Kuroda (38) 3.9
      Kyle Lohse (34) 3.6
      Paul Maholm (31) 2.5
      Shaun Marcum (31) 1.4
      Brandon McCarthy (29) 1.8
      Kevin Millwood (38) 2.0
      Anibal Sanchez (29) 3.8
      Ervin Santana (30) -.9
      Joe Saunders (32) 2.5
    1. John Bonnes's Avatar
      John Bonnes -
      No, it's not. Or at least not when you include those players whose options are going to be declined.

      How one wants to evaluate how "deep" a market it is open to debate, but it seems to me the best way is by evaluating the dollars they're likely to draw. That would at least give a sense of whether the teams think this is a deep market.

      And what we're going to see is that this is the deepest market, demanding the most dollars, as there has been in several years. I wrote about this a few weeks ago.

      http://www.twinsdaily.com/content.ph...reak-For-Twins

      There are as many as 11 pitchers who could garner a $20M offer from a team. In the first draft of TwinsCentric’s Offseason GM Handbook (which you’ll be able to order soon, I promise), I count six that are virtually locks to make that money There are five more that might, and each will almost certainly get at least $10 million guaranteed. That’s deeper than any class since 2006.
    1. Winston Smith's Avatar
      Winston Smith -
      Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
      No, it's not. Or at least not when you include those players whose options are going to be declined.

      How one wants to evaluate how "deep" a market it is open to debate, but it seems to me the best way is by evaluating the dollars they're likely to draw. That would at least give a sense of whether the teams think this is a deep market.

      And what we're going to see is that this is the deepest market, demanding the most dollars, as there has been in several years. I wrote about this a few weeks ago.

      http://www.twinsdaily.com/content.ph...reak-For-Twins

      There are as many as 11 pitchers who could garner a $20M offer from a team. In the first draft of TwinsCentric’s Offseason GM Handbook (which you’ll be able to order soon, I promise), I count six that are virtually locks to make that money There are five more that might, and each will almost certainly get at least $10 million guaranteed. That’s deeper than any class since 2006.
      Isn't it a supply and demand thing? Nearly ever team needs pitching. When nearly every team needs pitching the demand is high. The number of "quality" available pitchers is finite so those pitchers will be in a higher demand and likely demand a higher cost. When Ryan says we need 3 pitchers and the market has maybe 15 or so pitchers that may be above replacement level and maybe 20 teams are looking to add pitchers that seems to make the demand much higher than the supply.
      Of course in the past we've done the "trickle down" free agent signing pitchers that were left over after everyone else has picked the bones. Getting 2-3 starters out of whatever list you want to use will be very hard considering that we have maybe 25m to do it, imo.
      What do we really have of value to trade for a starting pitcher of any quality? Span is the most likely, Willingham would leave a big hole in the lineup and nobody else has much value. Do you want to start shopping Sano or Hicks types? What teams need a center fielder and have excess pitching? List is very short, Rays, Mets, Braves and maybe the Reds? So can you get Shields from the Rays? Maybe Bailey from the Reds, or Niese from the Mets would that do it?
      Trading for or signing 3 solid starting pitchers this winter will be very hard.
    1. Teflon's Avatar
      Teflon -
      I'm putting together a deal to make a "Moneyball" sequel based on Terry Ryan and the Twins. One of my favorite scenes is when Ryan (Kurtwood Smith) tells Billy Smith (Joel Murray) to go sign the Greek God of Walks and Smith signs the Greek God of Balks by mistake.


      P.S. Who is this pitcher Will Chase?
    1. ThePuck's Avatar
      ThePuck -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
      Thin?!?! Good lord almighty.
      Telling us it's thin is a way to prepare us for what we end up with...cause, you know, 'we'll be competing with so many other teams also looking for pitching and it's just such a thin market, teams are gonna overpay...and we just can't see doing that.'
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.