Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
  • Roster Reconstruction Begins


    On Wednesday, the Twins started their offseason reconstruction by removing several players from the 40 man roster.

    First, they declined Matt Cappsí option for the 2013 season by buying it out. There is no surprise there.

    Next, the Twins drooped several players from their 40 man roster. Pitchers PJ Walters, Esmerling Vasquez, Luis Perdomo, Kyle Waldrop, Jeff Manship and outfielder Matt Carson are no longer on the 40 man roster.

    In the one semi-surprise move of the day, the Twins lost Carlos Gutierrez to the Chicago Cubs. The Twins removed their hard-throwing former first-round pick from the 40 man roster. Unlike the other players, Gutierrez was claimed by another team, the Chicago Cubs.

    Coming off of shoulder, the Twins were likely hoping to sneak Gutierrez through and keep him around in 2013. However, they also know the rules of the game and were willing to take a chance that he would be taken.

    Because Scott Baker and Carl Pavano were on the 60 Day DL, the Twins ended the season with 42 players on their 40 man roster. With these eight moves, the Twins 40 man roster currently sits at 34. Pavano will come off of the list minutes after the World Series ends and he becomes a free agent. Also, the Twins will have to make their decision on the 2013 option of Scott Baker. There is little chance that they will pick up the $9.25 million option. However, it is also possible that the Twins and Baker would agree on a new contract in which he would stay on the roster.

    In late November, the Twins will need to add minor leaguers to the 40 man roster that they want to protect from potentially being selected in the Rule 5 draft. With the roster at 32 players (by that time), the Twins could technically add as many as eight players to the 40 man roster. That isnít likely. They will likely save a spot or three for potential free agent signings and claims. Also, if they want to make a Rule 5 selection of their own, they will need to have no more than 39 on their roster.

    So, who is eligible for the Rule 5 draft? On a high level, it is anyone who signed when they were less than 19 in 2008 or if they were over 19 in 2009. Generally speaking, that means that high school players drafted in 2008 and college or junior college players drafted in 2009. Many international signings happen with 16 or 17 year olds, but occasionally there will be a 19 or 20 year old signed as well.

    Specifically, here is a list of the players that are eligible for the Rule 5 draft:
    Aaron Hicks, Kyle Gibson, Danny Santana, BJ Hermsen, Bruce Pugh, Michael Tonkin, Tom Stuifbergen, Adrian Salcedo, Evan Bigley, Danny Lehmann, Nick Blackburn, Anthony Slama, Caleb Thielbar, Bobby Lanigan, Daniel Turpen, Dan Sattler, Rene Tosoni, Nathan Hanson, Dan Rohlfing, Andrew Albers, Steve Hirschfeld, Jose Gonzalez, Dakota Watts, David Bromberg, Blake Martin, Marty Popham, Steve Liddle, Danny Ortiz, Danny Rams, Ricky Bowen, Nelvin Fuentes, Michael Gonzales, Jhon Garcia, Manuel Soliman, Rory Rhodes, Luis Nunez, Kelvin Ortiz, Wang-Wei Lin, Jairo Rodriguez, Tim Atherton, Jhonathan Arias.

    Also, six-year minor league free agents that have already signed with the Twins are also eligible. They include Deibinson Romero, Brian Dinkelman, Jhonathan Goncalves, Josmil Pinto, Edgar Ibarra and Miguel Munoz.

    In the Offseason Handbook (which is now officially available), I wrote an article giving more details on nine guys that I think should be at least considered to be added. In reality, the top five or six on that list are the players that I think will be most strongly considered.

    So of all of those names, who do you think the Twins will add to the 40 man roster, and why? Feel free to add comments or ask questions.
    This article was originally published in blog: Roster Reconstruction Begins started by Seth Stohs
    Comments 54 Comments
    1. Seth Stohs's Avatar
      Seth Stohs -
      Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
      So a player that clears waivers cannot be good? Nothing is proven on Slama until he actually pitches in the majors, or never pitches there. But I have little doubt he will pitch for a different team next year.
      Of course. We all believe that Slama can be a decent back-of-the-bullpen reliever. My point was that, when the Twins let him become available, not one other team claimed him and he didn't lose an option year in 2012. I believe he can be solid and certainly deserves the chance, but the Twins have certainly measured him as a prospect accurately.
    1. IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
      IdahoPilgrim -
      Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
      what is the requirement for minor league Rule 5...where the Twins grabbed Marty Popham last season. They have to be A-ball or below and be added to AA/AAA rosters for the season? The Twins seem to lose a couple of guys this way each year.
      This used to always confuse me too. I finally found something that explains it. The minor league portion has two phases - AAA phase and AA phase. For the AAA phase, the player has to be AA or below, and the new club is required to keep him on the AAA reserve roster (but not necessarily on the AAA active roster) the entire season, or he goes back. For the AA phase, the player has to be A or below, with the same roster requirements (has to be on the AA reserve roster the entire season).

      That makes it slightly different than the major league phase, as players taken in that have to stay on the active roster all year and not just the reserve roster.

      For AAA teams the reserve roster can have up to 38 players; AA can have up to 37 players; A and below can have up to 35 players. For the major leagues, of course, the reserve roster is the 40-man roster.
    1. AM.'s Avatar
      AM. -
      Slama wasn't claimed last year because he was injured. He would get claimed this year, and become a reliable part of someone else's bullpen unless the Twins protect him.
    1. twinsnorth49's Avatar
      twinsnorth49 -
      Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
      Slama wasn't claimed last year because he was injured. He would get claimed this year, and become a reliable part of someone else's bullpen unless the Twins protect him.
      Why is everybody so convinced of this, despite the fact a lot of pretty knowledgeable baseball people aren't? I get giving him a chance, he does deserve it, but all these proclamations of guaranteed success is a little presumptuous.
    1. Kwak's Avatar
      Kwak -
      Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
      Slama wasn't claimed last year because he was injured. He would get claimed this year, and become a reliable part of someone else's bullpen unless the Twins protect him.
      Why is everybody so convinced of this, despite the fact a lot of pretty knowledgeable baseball people aren't? I get giving him a chance, he does deserve it, but all these proclamations of guaranteed success is a little presumptuous.
      I venture this guess--the same reason why people buy metal detectors and roam the beaches and fields.
    1. johnnydakota's Avatar
      johnnydakota -
      so its ok to give drew butera , a roster spot, but not to give slama a look?
      wasnt there a jones in san diego 30 years ago who no one thought was very good?
      anthony slama has done what ever is asked, where is the twins loyalty now?
      they brought nishi up, kept gray on the roster, manship, but not slama? hmm
    1. East Coast Twin's Avatar
      East Coast Twin -
      Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
      what is the requirement for minor league Rule 5...where the Twins grabbed Marty Popham last season. They have to be A-ball or below and be added to AA/AAA rosters for the season? The Twins seem to lose a couple of guys this way each year.
      This used to always confuse me too. I finally found something that explains it. The minor league portion has two phases - AAA phase and AA phase. For the AAA phase, the player has to be AA or below, and the new club is required to keep him on the AAA reserve roster (but not necessarily on the AAA active roster) the entire season, or he goes back. For the AA phase, the player has to be A or below, with the same roster requirements (has to be on the AA reserve roster the entire season).

      That makes it slightly different than the major league phase, as players taken in that have to stay on the active roster all year and not just the reserve roster.

      For AAA teams the reserve roster can have up to 38 players; AA can have up to 37 players; A and below can have up to 35 players. For the major leagues, of course, the reserve roster is the 40-man roster.
      You say a player has to be "AA or below" to be eligible for the AAA phase of the Rule 5 draft. Does that mean any draft eligible player not on the Twins 38 man AAA reserve roster?
    1. Seth Stohs's Avatar
      Seth Stohs -
      Basically there is the 40 man MLB roster. There is a 38 man AAA roster, and a 37 man AA roster. If a player is eligible, but not put on the 40 man roster, he can still be put on the AAA roster. Who is eligible for the AAA reserve list? Take the MLB rules for eligibility and subtract a year. Do the same for the AA roster. So, Alex Wimmers doesn't have to be added to the 40 man roster this year for the Twins, but he would have to be next year. That means he has to be added to the AAA roster this year. if a player is taken in the minor league portion, he stays with the other organization. None of the have-to-be-offered-back stuff. It's more difficult to know because the AAA and AA reserve lists are not made public (to my knowledge).
    1. old nurse's Avatar
      old nurse -
      [QUOTE=twinsnorth49;59905]
      Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
      .

      Why is everybody so convinced of this, despite the fact a lot of pretty knowledgeable baseball people aren't? I get giving him a chance, he does deserve it, but all these proclamations of guaranteed success is a little presumptuous.
      It is like cheering for the second string QB in football
    1. East Coast Twin's Avatar
      East Coast Twin -
      Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
      Basically there is the 40 man MLB roster. There is a 38 man AAA roster, and a 37 man AA roster. If a player is eligible, but not put on the 40 man roster, he can still be put on the AAA roster. Who is eligible for the AAA reserve list? Take the MLB rules for eligibility and subtract a year. Do the same for the AA roster. So, Alex Wimmers doesn't have to be added to the 40 man roster this year for the Twins, but he would have to be next year. That means he has to be added to the AAA roster this year. if a player is taken in the minor league portion, he stays with the other organization. None of the have-to-be-offered-back stuff. It's more difficult to know because the AAA and AA reserve lists are not made public (to my knowledge).
      Thanks.
    1. twinsnorth49's Avatar
      twinsnorth49 -
      Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
      so its ok to give drew butera , a roster spot, but not to give slama a look?
      wasnt there a jones in san diego 30 years ago who no one thought was very good?
      anthony slama has done what ever is asked, where is the twins loyalty now?
      they brought nishi up, kept gray on the roster, manship, but not slama? hmm
      Right, hmmmm, I wonder why? I did say he has earned the chance but my point is that I suspect the expectation of success a lot of people have is going to result in a lot of disappointment.

      No it's not ok to give Drew Butera a roster spot under any circumstances.
    1. mike wants wins's Avatar
      mike wants wins -
      I think you are putting words in our mouths. Most posters here admit they do not know if Slama can be good, we just want him to get the same chance some horrible veterans have received. If he succeeds, great. If not, at least they gave him a shot to show if his AAA success translates.
    1. twinsnorth49's Avatar
      twinsnorth49 -
      Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
      I think you are putting words in our mouths. Most posters here admit they do not know if Slama can be good, we just want him to get the same chance some horrible veterans have received. If he succeeds, great. If not, at least they gave him a shot to show if his AAA success translates.
      I'm not trying to do that and I get it but there have been a lot of people over numerous threads that confidently state that he would be a reliable bullpen performer for any team that picked him up. Maybe, you're not one of them.
    1. ThePuck's Avatar
      ThePuck -
      Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
      I think you are putting words in our mouths. Most posters here admit they do not know if Slama can be good, we just want him to get the same chance some horrible veterans have received. If he succeeds, great. If not, at least they gave him a shot to show if his AAA success translates.
      He strikes out a lot and he walks a lot...the exact opposite of a Twins pitcher. It's funny, they even said too many of his strikeouts are caught looking strikeouts which are, apparently, less valuable than swinging strikeouts
    1. Twins Twerp's Avatar
      Twins Twerp -
      Slama finds his way into every thread. We talk about him more than Mauer, Mornie, and Span combined. The funny thing is, most people are arguing that it isn't FAIR for him not to get a shot. Come on now, lets give him a participation medal and maybe he'll feel better about himself.

      Lets remember that this is a business, the currency is wins, and if the guy was good enough, he would have been called up.
    1. ThePuck's Avatar
      ThePuck -
      Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
      Slama finds his way into every thread. We talk about him more than Mauer, Mornie, and Span combined. The funny thing is, most people are arguing that it isn't FAIR for him not to get a shot. Come on now, lets give him a participation medal and maybe he'll feel better about himself.

      Lets remember that this is a business, the currency is wins, and if the guy was good enough, he would have been called up.
      He's got a minor league career ERA under 2.00 (this last season 1.24). He's averages over 12 Ks per 9IP (13.9 this year). He doesn't give up the long ball (1 HR allowed this year). The only knock on him is he walks a bit too many which is the kiss of death for a Twins prospect.

      People see numbers like that, they understandably ask why. I don't see why that's such a bad question. The argument is, if he was worth bringing up they would have? Why? Because the Twins have shown themselves to be great judges of pitching talent lately?
    1. old nurse's Avatar
      old nurse -
      Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post

      Lets remember that this is a business, the currency is wins, and if the guy was good enough, he would have been called up.
      . The argument is, if he was worth bringing up they would have? Why? Because the Twins have shown themselves to be great judges of pitching talent lately?
      88 mph fastball for a reliever is kind of slow. Great at deception in the minors. He will get a shot at ST. If a club wants him for 50K it will because they looked at the slash line, not the scouting reports.
    1. twinsnorth49's Avatar
      twinsnorth49 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
      Slama finds his way into every thread. We talk about him more than Mauer, Mornie, and Span combined. The funny thing is, most people are arguing that it isn't FAIR for him not to get a shot. Come on now, lets give him a participation medal and maybe he'll feel better about himself.

      Lets remember that this is a business, the currency is wins, and if the guy was good enough, he would have been called up.
      He's got a minor league career ERA under 2.00 (this last season 1.24). He's averages over 12 Ks per 9IP (13.9 this year). He doesn't give up the long ball (1 HR allowed this year). The only knock on him is he walks a bit too many which is the kiss of death for a Twins prospect.

      People see numbers like that, they understandably ask why. I don't see why that's such a bad question. The argument is, if he was worth bringing up they would have? Why? Because the Twins have shown themselves to be great judges of pitching talent lately?
      He cleared waivers and wasn't selected as a Rule 5, apparently every other team is showing to have the same judgment as the Twins.
    1. ThePuck's Avatar
      ThePuck -
      He was coming off injury, wasn't he?
    1. johnnydakota's Avatar
      johnnydakota -
      Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Forever34 View Post
      Bummer about losing Gutierrez. Didn't see Delois Guierra (spl?) on the list. Does that mean the crown jewel is safe and they no longer need to waste a roster spot for him? I thought there was some rule about how long a guy can stay on the 40-man without making the major league roster. I'm not an expert on all these roster rules.

      Doubt Slama will be put on the roster. The only good thing about that is that if that happens we will know once and for all whether he is the prospect we all think he is. If no one bites, clearly the Twins FO is right to think of him as a non-major league caliber pitcher. My gut tells me at least one team will since he is as finished a prospect as you can get and some bad team will be able to keep him on their 25-man all year.
      Guerra is out of options, so (unless something changes later in the offseason) he will head to spring training. He will have to make the Twins 25 man roster and stay on it. Or, he'll have to be DFAd and put through waivers. If he clears, he can go back to Rochester. If he is claimed, that team will have to keep him on their active roster.

      As for Slama, the FO has already been proven right as he cleared waivers a year ago and wasn't selected in the Rule 5. That's not to say that he couldn't be claimed in the Rule 5, but we'll see.
      do you know if anthony is hurt? according to mazalans website he hasnt been pitching lately----3 games 2 innings0-00 era
      im planning on going to watch him on the 2nd if hes still there and not hurt, thanks for any info you have
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.