Each week here at Twins Daily, we will be taking a look at how players in the Twins organization are faring in the Winter Leagues. The Twins have players in the Arizona Fall League, in Venezuela, in the Dominican Republic, in Mexico, in Puerto Rico and in Australia. A week of numbers is fairly small sample, but it does give a look at who is playing well of late. So, lets walk through each of the leagues and name a Twins player of the week followed by a look at the rest of the Twins players.
ARIZONA FALL LEAGUE
Player of the Week Nate Roberts, OF
Roberts has been the story of the Fall League for the Twins, and it was another great week for him. He played in four games and went 7-14 with four walks to go with just one strikeout. He got one base at least twice in all four games he played and scored seven runs. He also hit his first home run of the season. In 16 games in the Fall League, he is 25-53 with 10 walks and just five strikeouts. Hes hitting .472/.592/.623 (1.214) with five doubles, a home run and ten RBI.
- Evan Bigley 5 Games 5-16 (.313) with a double, a triple and 2 walks.
- Dan Rohlfing 2 Games 4-8 (.500) with two walks.
- Logan Darnell 1 Game, 4 IP, 0 runs, 1 hit, 0 walks, 5 strikeouts.
- Kyle Gibson 1 Game Started, 5 IP, 4 earned runs, 5 hits, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts.
- Caleb Thielbar 2 Games, 2.2 innings, 4 earned runs, 6 hits, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts.
- Michael Tonkin 2 Games, 4.2 innings, 1 earned run, 2 hits, 1 walk, 1 strikeout. (First run hes allowed in regular season games)
VENEZUELAN WINTER LEAGUE
Player of the Week Dakota Watts, RHP
Watts missed time early in the season due to some tendonitis, so he is getting some extra innings in Venezuela. This past week, he pitched 6.1 innings in four games. He gave up no runs on one hit. He walked none and struckout eight and recorded two saves. After giving up four runs in his first 3 games (2.1 innings), he has not allowed a run in his past seven games.
- Oswaldo Arcia 6 Games, 7-25 (.280), 3 BB, 5 K, 3rd home run in one game, he was 4-5 with a walk and HR.
- Eduardo Escobar 4 Games, 1-12 (.083), 1 BB
- Deolis Guerra 3 Games, 3 innings, 1 hit, 0 runs, 0 walks, 5 strikeouts. 1-0 with 1 save.
- Edgar Ibarra 1 Game Started, 3.1 innings, 4 hits, 4 earned runs, 3 walks, 1 strikeout.
- Angel Mata 1 Game, 1.1 innings, 2 hits, 1 earned run, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts.
- Bruce Pugh 2 Games, 0.1 innings, 2 hits, 0 runs, 1 walk.
Over the past week, Aaron Hicks and David Bromberg have returned to the United States.
MEXICAN WINTER LEAGUE
Player of the Week Chris Colabello, 1B
Colabello had a huge week last week, but this week was even bigger. In six games, he went 8-24 (.333) with two walks and seven strikeouts. The week started out very hot, with six home runs in five games. Overall on the season, Colabello is now hitting .304/.356/.652 (1.009) with eight doubles and eight home runs.
- Anthony Slama 4 Games, 4.2 innings, 6 hits, 1 earned run, 2 walks, 8 strikeouts. 3 saves.
- Gonzalo Sanudo 2 Games, 3.1 innings, 2 hits, 1 earned run, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts.
DOMINICAN WINTER LEAGUE
Player of the Week Miguel Sano, 3B
After a terrific season at Beloit, Sano went to the Twins Florida Instructional League. Although he was the top pick in the DWL draft, he eased his way back into the schedule. After playing in just three games coming into this week, he played in five games this past week. In those games, he went 4-15 (.267) with two home runs and four RBI. He walked three times and struckout three times.
- Jhonathan Arias 4 Games, 2-8 (.250) with 2 walks and 3 strikeouts
- Pedro Florimon 3 Games, 3-9 (.333) with a double, a walk and a strikeout
- Luis Perdomo 2 Games, 4.2 innings, 5 hits, 1 earned run, 1 walk and 5 strikeouts.
PUERTO RICO WINTER LEAGUE
The Puerto Rican league got started over the weekend and there are several Twins players from the island to follow.
Player of the Week Eddie Rosario, OF
Rosario was the #3 hitter on the Beloit roster that included Miguel Sano and Kennys Vargas. In Puerto Rico, his roster includes Vargas and outfielder Danny Ortiz. After spending most of the season playing second base, he played centerfield for the Snappers throughout the season. Through four games, he has played only right field. The Royals Irving Falu has been playing second base. Either way, Rosario is a hitting machine who got off to a nice start. He went 6-15 (.400) with a double and three RBI.
- Jorge Fernandez The Twins 7th round pick, a catcher, has pinch run in one game and scored a run.
- Angel Morales 2 Games, 2-7 (.286), BB, 2B, HR. The two games epitomize the last couple of seasons for Morales. In the first game, he went 2-3 with a walk, a double and a home run. In the second game, he went 0-4 with three strikeouts.
- Daniel Ortiz 4 Games, 1-9 (.111), 3 walks and one strikeout.
- Kennys Vargas 4 Games, 2-14 (.143), home run, 3 walks, 2 strikeouts.
- Nelvin Fuentes 1 Game, 0.2 innings, 3 hits, 3 earned runs, 1 walk, one strikeout.
- Josue Montanez 1 Game, 2 innings, 1 hit, 1 run, 0 earned run, 1 walk.
AUSTRALIAN BASEBALL LEAGUE
Player of the Week Jacob Younis, 2B
Younis played in two of three games and went 4-8 with a walk and two RBI. He has spent the past two seasons with the GCL Twins. Unfortunately, he played very little in 2012 due to injury.
- JD Williams 3 Games, 2-10 (.200), 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
- Logan Wade 2 Games, 2-6 (.333), 1 walk, 1 strikeout
- Sam Gibbons 1 Game, 3 innings, two hits, 1 earned run, no walks, 1 strikeout.
- Tyler Herr 1 Game, 2.1 innings, 2 hits, no runs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout.
Feel free to discuss or ask any questions that you like. Also, feel free to pick a player of the week. Here were the nominees:
Arizona Nate Roberts
Venezuela Dakota Watts
Mexico Chris Colabello
Dominican Miguel Sano
Puerto Rico Eddie Rosario
Australia Jacob Younis