Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
  • The Cuts Continue, 7 Twins Reassigned

    On Sunday morning, seven players from Minnesota Twins spring training were told that they would not be on the Twins Opening Day roster. The most intriguing name of the bunch was infielder Chris Colabello. This leaves the Twins with 42 players on their spring roster.



    Here are the players sent to minor league camp:

    Chris Colabello was last year's feel-good minor league story. He has had a great past 12 months. At this time last year, he has just signed with the Twins after being named Baseball America's Independent Leagues player of the year in 2011. He made the New Britain roster and was a mainstay in the middle of their lineup all season. He received the invite to spring training and made a name for himself on a national (international?) level with some big games and big hits for Team Italy in the WBC. He returned to the Twins late last week. He will likely spend most of the season in Rochester this year, but don't be at all surprised if the Twins call his name if they have a need for a bat.

    Brian Dinkelman hit .301 for the Twins in 2011 in a part-time role. He spent all of 2012 with Rochester and didn't play a lot due to injury. He provides the Twins with depth in the corner outfield spots as well as the right side of the infield.

    Clete Thomas got some time with the Twins in 2012 after spending his entire career in the Tigers organization. He returned to the Twins on a minor league deal after hitting for power with the Red Wings. He'll return to Rochester this spring and play all around the outfield.

    Mark Sobolewski was selected by the Twins in the minor league portion of December's Rule 5 draft from the Blue Jays organization. He showed well for himself in Twins camp, displaying good defense. He likely would have competed with Deibinson Romero for playing time but Romero has still not arrived from the Dominican Republic due to visa issues.

    Deolis Guerra came off of the 40 man roster last November, but he returned on a minor league contract. He pitched very well in the Venezuelan Winter League and was excited to represent his country in the WBC. Unfortunately, shoulder pain was diagnosed as a blood clot. He will be having surgery in the near future.

    Shairon Martis was invited to big league camp after coming to the Twins in a minor trade last summer. He didn't pitch much for the Twins before joining Team Netherlands in Taiwan, and then Japan, and now in San Francisco for the WBC. He should factor into the Red Wings pitching staff this season.

    Eric Fryer got time with the Pirates the past two season. He played well in spring, but he could find himself in either New Britain or Rochester.

    The Twins now have 42 players in big league camp including 22 pitchers (5 non-roster), 4 catchers (1 non-roster), 9 infielders (3 non-roster) and 7 outfielders (2 non-roster).
    This article was originally published in blog: The Cuts Continue, 7 Twins Reassigned started by Seth Stohs
    Comments 71 Comments
    1. spideyo's Avatar
      spideyo -
      It's really all about context. Ultimately, it's really about the fact that we've basically had **** for right-handed bench bats over the last 5 years.
      I'm not saying he's gonna win a batting title or anything. Just that the fact that he's 29 and hasn't played AAA or MLB yet don't immediately mean he's a washed up piece of crap.

      And yes, he hasn't had an at bat in an official MLB game, but at least some of the pitchers he's been facing in ST and in the WBC ARE major league pitchers.


      Also, I think a lot of people would argue that Butera has never had an MLB-quality at bat
    1. Mr. Brooks's Avatar
      Mr. Brooks -
      Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
      It's really all about context. Ultimately, it's really about the fact that we've basically had **** for right-handed bench bats over the last 5 years.
      I'm not saying he's gonna win a batting title or anything. Just that the fact that he's 29 and hasn't played AAA or MLB yet don't immediately mean he's a washed up piece of crap.

      And yes, he hasn't had an at bat in an official MLB game, but at least some of the pitchers he's been facing in ST and in the WBC ARE major league pitchers.


      Also, I think a lot of people would argue that Butera has never had an MLB-quality at bat
      I'm not saying he's a washed up piece of crap.
      I'm saying lets actually see him get some real (ST and/or WBC do not count) MLB AB's, before we start making declarative statements about how he will hit.
      He could be the best RH bench bat we've had in a while, or he could be a right handed Clete Thomas, minus any defensive or baserunning value. Neither would shock me more than the other.
    1. Laroosh1's Avatar
      Laroosh1 -
      If I recall correctly last year when the twins signed Colabello it was noted that he played third base in independent ball. If that is the case he is more valuable then people think he is. He will get his time in the bigs and he will produce. There will be a lot of band wagon people who will say why didn't they have him play from opening day.
    1. Mr. Brooks's Avatar
      Mr. Brooks -
      Quote Originally Posted by Laroosh1 View Post
      If I recall correctly last year when the twins signed Colabello it was noted that he played third base in independent ball. If that is the case he is more valuable then people think he is. He will get his time in the bigs and he will produce. There will be a lot of band wagon people who will say why didn't they have him play from opening day.
      He made 41 errors in 115 games at 3B. I doubt anyone is putting him at 3rd in a major league game.
      I find it interesting that there are people who can make absolute, declarative statements about a guy who has yet to play a MLB game.
    1. ashburyjohn's Avatar
      ashburyjohn -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
      I'm saying lets actually see him get some real (ST and/or WBC do not count) MLB AB's, before we start making declarative statements about how he will hit.
      Someone's going to make declarative statements about all the players who don't make the final roster - that's how these decisions get made. Granted, "we" won't be making those statements, but if that's your point, just about 99% of the forum threads here could face the same criticism.
    1. Mr. Brooks's Avatar
      Mr. Brooks -
      Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
      Someone's going to make declarative statements about all the players who don't make the final roster - that's how these decisions get made. Granted, "we" won't be making those statements, but if that's your point, just about 99% of the forum threads here could face the same criticism.
      I disagree. Most people in these threads say things like, "I dont think this guy can do x, and here is why..."
      Or, "I really think player x is going to have a great year, and here is why."
      Those are opinions, which is what this is all about.
      Saying something like, "Its safe to say that Cobello IS going to be the best RH bat we've had in years", or "he's gonna play, and he's gonna produce" is a completely different thing.
      Unless a person has a crystal ball, I just dont know how any of us can make statements like that about anyone, much less someone who has never played an MLB game before.
    1. ashburyjohn's Avatar
      ashburyjohn -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
      Unless a person has a crystal ball, I just dont know how any of us can make statements like that about anyone, much less someone who has never played an MLB game before.
      What I'm reacting to is that early in the thread you said that bringing Colabello north would be a novelty act on a par with the Saint Paul Saints. And then near the end of this thread you say "lets actually see him get some real (ST and/or WBC do not count) MLB AB's, before we start making declarative statements about how he will hit." Can't do that if he's cut. And you have to make some guess about how someone will hit before he ever gets his first chance at some MLB ABs.
    1. Mr. Brooks's Avatar
      Mr. Brooks -
      Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
      What I'm reacting to is that early in the thread you said that bringing Colabello north would be a novelty act on a par with the Saint Paul Saints. And then near the end of this thread you say "lets actually see him get some real (ST and/or WBC do not count) MLB AB's, before we start making declarative statements about how he will hit." Can't do that if he's cut. And you have to make some guess about how someone will hit before he ever gets his first chance at some MLB ABs.
      What I'm saying is that based on his age, position, and AA numbers, I dont think he's one of the 25 best guys on the team.
      My "novelty" statement was based on the idea of bringing him north because, "he would be a nice feel good story".
      If you are bringing a guy north not because he's one of your 25 best players, but because he's a feel good story, that IS a novelty.
      If you were to continue to read my posts on this topic you would notice that I say that if they think that he IS one of the 25 best players, then by all means take him north. That's not a novelty.
    1. spideyo's Avatar
      spideyo -
      Yeah what ashburyjohn said. Colabello has actual skills, so if they did add him to the major league roster, it wouldn't be as a novelty act or a "feel good" story.

      Also, if you go back to my original post, I originally had said you could ARGUE that he would be our best Right-handed bench bat. After that I may have gone overboard with my statements in my attempts to defend myself, but my original intent wasn't to anoint him, but simply point out that based on potential and small sample size alone, he looks pretty darn good when you set him against the bench options Gardy has had in the past.
    1. Mr. Brooks's Avatar
      Mr. Brooks -
      Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
      Yeah what ashburyjohn said. Colabello has actual skills, so if they did add him to the major league roster, it wouldn't be as a novelty act or a "feel good" story.

      Also, if you go back to my original post, I originally had said you could ARGUE that he would be our best Right-handed bench bat. After that I may have gone overboard with my statements in my attempts to defend myself, but my original intent wasn't to anoint him, but simply point out that based on potential and small sample size alone, he looks pretty darn good when you set him against the bench options Gardy has had in the past.
      Well everyone in professional baseball has some kind of actual skills. They wouldnt get paid to play baseball if they didnt.
      There is nothing in his AA numbers last year that impresses me, given his age and position, thats all i'm saying.
      I have already said that its not a novelty if they bring him north for the right reasons. My original "novelty" statement was in regards to a couple of posters who said it would be a feel good story if he were brought north. After that it kind of went of the rails a bit, and I think some people have been led to believe that I feel bringing him north for any reason is a "novelty", which is not the case.
    1. Halsey Hall's Avatar
      Halsey Hall -
      Things looking better for Hicks with Benson being optioned today to AAA. I'm liking it.
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.