• Oswaldo Arcia To Be Called Up On Monday

    According to Phil Miller, the Star-Tribune's Minnesota Twins beat reporter, Oswaldo Arcia will be called up on Monday to fill-in for Wilkin Ramirez, who will go on paternity leave. Twins Daily ranks Arcia as the #4 prospect in the Twins system, is only 21 years old and is currently hitting .414 with a .793(!) slugging percentage in Rochester. According to Miller, he will be the youngest player to debut for the Twins since Joe Mauer.

    How much playing time he'll have remains to be seen. Ramirez is a bench bat, but the Twins are unlikely to be calling up Arcia to sit on the bench. He has played mostly right field for the last two years, but Chris Parmelee is relatively young and healthy and also hits left-handed, like Arcia. The other corner outfield, Josh Willingham is a veteran who hit 35 home runs last year. It seems most likely Arcia will serve in one of those spots or as designated hitter, and the positions will rotate, giving Parmelee, Willingham, Joe Mauer, Ryan Doumit or Justin Morneau some time off.

    It's also unclear how long he will remain with the team. Ramirez should only be gone for a few games. For Arcia to remain much longer would require an injury, some serious roster re-shuffling or a change in position.

    Last year in AA-New Britain, Arcia did play 10 games in center field and played their full time in rookie league. His move to a corner spot supposedly had more to do with the organization's depth than his inability to play the position. So the Twins could try for a game in center field.

    If he can handle the position defensively, it might make things interesting for the Twins. Current center fielder Aaron Hicks has struggled from the left side of the plate in the past and has just two hits and two walks versus 17 strikeouts from that side this year. The Twins could platoon the two as they learn the ropes their rookie years.
    Comments 87 Comments
    1. Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
      Twins Daily Admin -
      You can view the page at http://www.twinsdaily.com/content.ph...d-Up-on-Monday
    1. Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
      Brock Beauchamp -
      I don't know how I feel about this move. At this point, my gut instinct might be to put Arcia in CF and send Hicks to Rochester. Oswaldo had quite a bit of time in CF and while he's not going to be good in the position, there's simply nowhere else to put him in the field and DH is crowded already.
    1. John Bonnes's Avatar
      John Bonnes -
      On the one hand, this feels a lot like rushing him through AAA, the same way the have Hicks and Hendricks and Dozier and Revere and ....

      On the other, Arcia has never really stumbled. And I love the message it sends - those that are doing well will get their shot.

      And, candidly, I'm just excited to see the kid live. I'd be especially excited if they gave him some time in CF.
    1. Seth Stohs's Avatar
      Seth Stohs -
      It's 3 days... He should play RF twice and DH once and give days off to Parmelee, Doumit and Morneau (or Mauer).
    1. Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
      Brock Beauchamp -
      Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
      On the other, Arcia has never really stumbled.
      That's the key for me. I was wary of Hicks coming to Minnesota for a few reasons... First, he stumbled badly every time he was promoted... To ask him to skip a level was expecting quite a bit from the kid. Second, his numbers in AA were good but they weren't eye-popping, especially when compared to the younger Arcia.

      Arcia hasn't struggled to hit anywhere in several years. I don't worry about his brief stint in AAA too much... The kid just rakes wherever they send him.
    1. Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
      Brock Beauchamp -
      Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
      It's 3 days... He should play RF twice and DH once and give days off to Parmelee, Doumit and Morneau (or Mauer).
      But given Hicks' below-.050 BA, are we really sure it's just three days?

      I think there's a good chance we see Hicks go down and Arcia stay up.
    1. Badsmerf's Avatar
      Badsmerf -
      Very excited to see Arcia! Hopefully he can keep his composure and put some pressure on the Twins to keep him up. I've only seen clips of him hitting, and can't wait to actually see the whole package.
    1. IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
      IdahoPilgrim -
      Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
      On the one hand, this feels a lot like rushing him through AAA, the same way the have Hicks and Hendricks and Dozier and Revere and ....

      On the other, Arcia has never really stumbled. And I love the message it sends - those that are doing well will get their shot.

      And, candidly, I'm just excited to see the kid live. I'd be especially excited if they gave him some time in CF.
      I saw him in New Britain last year. Only two games, but man, it was exciting. I saw one of his long homers - the kind where the outfield doesn't even bother moving.
    1. John Bonnes's Avatar
      John Bonnes -
      Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
      It's 3 days... He should play RF twice and DH once and give days off to Parmelee, Doumit and Morneau (or Mauer).
      I think that's the most probable scenario. Also, I wouldn't blame them for not wanting him to be learning a new position when he's trying to adjust to big league pitching.

      But I still hope they think out of the box a little on this one. If he can play center field - and that's a fairly easy thing to find out - then I'd love to give him a trial there at this level. Otherwise, his path is blocked barring trade or injury.
    1. gunnarthor's Avatar
      gunnarthor -
      I think we're all getting ahead of ourselves here. He'll get a couple starts in RF and be sent back down. Glad to see him get the call up - sends a good message to him but also to Benson.
    1. Badsmerf's Avatar
      Badsmerf -
      Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
      I think that's the most probable scenario. Also, I wouldn't blame them for not wanting him to be learning a new position when he's trying to adjust to big league pitching.

      But I still hope they think out of the box a little on this one. If he can play center field - and that's a fairly easy thing to find out - then I'd love to give him a trial there at this level. Otherwise, his path is blocked barring trade or injury.
      Blocked? By a guy that has strike outs in 50% of his PA? If the Twins will try it, I'd be all for it. Shoot, with way Buxton is hitting he might be the opening day CF in 2014 lol.
    1. Mr. Brooks's Avatar
      Mr. Brooks -
      Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
      Blocked? By a guy that has strike outs in 50% of his PA? If the Twins will try it, I'd be all for it. Shoot, with way Buxton is hitting he might be the opening day CF in 2014 lol.
      He said he's blocked if they are not willing to try him in CF.
    1. biscuit's Avatar
      biscuit -
      Hey. Doumit and Hicks combined are batting .218. How can it hurt to have Arcia fill in for either one of them?
    1. YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
      YourHouseIsMyHouse -
      Yeah, my immediate reaction was that this doesn't sound good at all for Hicks. I think the Twins would play Arcia in RF and DH Parmelee. Doumit has been terrible too, so Parm should get plenty of ABs in that role. Mastroianni would become the starting CF. Maybe there isn't a big chance that's how they go forward, but I'd approve of it.
    1. JB_Iowa's Avatar
      JB_Iowa -
      The only conclusion I can draw is that the Twins have decided that they aren't going to play the service clock game this year.

      Excited to see Arcia.
    1. Mr. Brooks's Avatar
      Mr. Brooks -
      Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
      Yeah, my immediate reaction was that this doesn't sound good at all for Hicks. I think the Twins would play Arcia in RF and DH Parmelee. Doumit has been terrible too, so Parm should get plenty of ABs in that role. Mastroianni would become the starting CF. Maybe there isn't a big chance that's how they go forward, but I'd approve of it.
      If Arcia can play CF at even a non embarrassing level, he should.
      Doumit has a track record. If he's healthy, he's going to hit okay. His bat will come around.
    1. Mr. Brooks's Avatar
      Mr. Brooks -
      Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
      The only conclusion I can draw is that the Twins have decided that they aren't going to play the service clock game this year.

      Excited to see Arcia.
      If he's only staying up for 3 days (not that we know that for sure at this point), then his service time isnt going to be affected much by this.
    1. JB_Iowa's Avatar
      JB_Iowa -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
      If he's only staying up for 3 days (not that we know that for sure at this point), then his service time isnt going to be affected much by this.
      Perhaps not but it just seems like in other years, there's no way we would see some of these youngsters (despite injuries, etc. on the major league club).
    1. Mr. Brooks's Avatar
      Mr. Brooks -
      Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
      Perhaps not but it just seems like in other years, there's no way we would see some of these youngsters (despite injuries, etc. on the major league club).
      I'm not saying there isn't a change in philosophy though I think it's too early to say, but part of this is that we haven't typically had a roster with so many bad to mediocre players on it.
      Its easier to call up youngsters with this roster then it was with some of our better rosters in the mid to late 2000's.
    1. Pitz's Avatar
      Pitz -
      Willingham in LF, Arcia in CF, and Parm in RF sounds like a really slow outfield. Given the Twins' low K pitching staff, I'm not sure I'd want to see that (but I guess I don't really get to watch many games anyway).
      On the other hand, maybe it's in the better interest of the Twins to just say, 'The heck with pitching and defense, let's see if we can out-slug some teams 65 times this year.'
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.