• My Love for Video Games-OOTP '14

    When I was younger, my brothers and I loved to play video games. We took a liking to games of all kinds, but especially enjoyed playing baseball games together. Typically we wouldn’t “play” many of the games, we would simulate them. This allowed us to get in a number of seasons in a short amount of time. We would sit for hours in front of the television, hanging on every game in the careers of imaginary players on a screen. It sounds ridiculous, but video games gave us a hope that these players could be us one day.

    Each of us would usually take a liking to a specific guy. This guy would play a similar style to our game and we would take them from draft day to the Hall of Fame…in a few weeks time. We would imagine ourselves in his shoes, getting called on draft day, debuting in the big leagues, becoming an All Star and a hero for his team. It was wash, dry, fold, repeat.

    Every year a new game would come out and we would get our hands on it, spending hours trying to perfect our players and our squad into World Series champions.



    This has been a way for us to bond as siblings. We still try to play against each other remotely. Over the past few years we have played an online game called Strat-O-Matic Baseball. It was perfect for us because we could play in the same league and the entire game was based on simulation. Recently I stumbled upon a game called Out of the Park Baseball. It too is a game based entirely on simulation, but unlike Strat-O-Matic, it is a comprehensive package.

    OOTP 14 recently came out and I was given the chance to preview it. If you enjoy Twins Daily’s Prospect and GM Handbooks, you will enjoy this game. While you can sit and imagine what you would do if given the chance to run an organization, this game gives you that opportunity. You control every team to every detail with personalized options available for each player. You control contracts, call-ups and team strategy.

    The new game added the new rosters for 2013. Free agents can now come from a number of different places-the draft, international signings, independent ball, etc. A new interface makes navigating the game much easier and a new player development tracking system allows you to get a better grip on your farm teams.




    I thought everyone here at Twins Daily would enjoy it. If you do decide to get the game, be prepared for a possible addiction. I spent a number of hours playing the game right when I got it.

    I shared this game with my older brother and he immediately began playing. It is a fun way to feel connected to your hometown team and it can also be great way to get to know more guys in the system.

    If you are interested you can check the game out here: https://store2.esellerate.net/store/...ageCatalog.htm

    Follow AJ on Twitter @APettersen1 or email him at [email protected]
    This article was originally published in blog: My Love for Video Games-OOTP '14 started by AJPettersen
    Comments 22 Comments
    1. roger's Avatar
      roger -
      Video games notwithstanding A.J., congratulations to a hell of a beginning to your year in Fort Myers!
    1. AJPettersen's Avatar
      AJPettersen -
      Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
      Video games notwithstanding A.J., congratulations to a hell of a beginning to your year in Fort Myers!
      Thanks Roger! Hope all is well!
    1. Seth Stohs's Avatar
      Seth Stohs -
      From last night's minor league update:

      "AJ Pettersen went 2-5 to extend his hitting streak to ten games. He is hitting .370 during that stretch." Add in four walks to just three strikeouts. 3 doubles and a homer! Not too shabby!
    1. ashburyjohn's Avatar
      ashburyjohn -
      (Comments posted in the Community Blogs section don't seem to make it over here to the articles/forums area, so I'm re-posting here. Maybe RP can explain why this happens.)

      I've played OOTP enough to love it, and eventually come to critique aspects of it that are too easy to exploit. One can put the setting to higher difficulty, of course, but that seems to make it unrealistic in a different extreme. Still, as an inveterate tinkerer, I found the game very very addictive for days at a time.

      I've played Strat-O-Matic only as the dice-game version, starting way back in the 70's or so, and again when my sons were old enough to enjoy it. (Never got my daughter into it - or my wife for that matter - go figure.)

      Before we discovered SOM, by brother and I devised our own randomized game based on our baseball cards' stats. Much cruder than the commercial products that we didn't know about yet, but for kids around 10 or 12 years old it wasn't bad.

      All this is basically to say: welcome to the crowd.
    1. Steve Lein's Avatar
      Steve Lein -
      Haven't yet tried out OOTP, but have played Baseball Mogul for a while (Sports Mogul Inc.). I'd guess they're very similar, though OOTP looks quite a bit more refined as far as presentation.

      What song did you pick for your at-bat music this year, A.J.? Atmosphere "YGM"?!?! q
    1. AJPettersen's Avatar
      AJPettersen -
      Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
      Haven't yet tried out OOTP, but have played Baseball Mogul for a while (Sports Mogul Inc.). I'd guess they're very similar, though OOTP looks quite a bit more refined as far as presentation.

      What song did you pick for your at-bat music this year, A.J.? Atmosphere "YGM"?!?! q
      I was going to tweet at you, but I forgot. I went with your suggestion!
    1. TheLeviathan's Avatar
      TheLeviathan -
      I'm a mogul player and actually run an online league if there is any interest. Three (real time) years and going strong! I liked OOTP, but just too involved for me to find time to invest in it.
    1. snepp's Avatar
      snepp -
      I couldn't even begin to count how many hundreds of seasons I've run through OOTP, in dozens of leagues in all sorts of configurations. I never play with the MLB setup though, the structure, the teams, or the players, it's all about the fictional setup for me.
    1. Alex's Avatar
      Alex -
      Great game. As Snepp hints, there is probably a lot more flexibility, depth, and customization than in Mogul.
    1. TheLeviathan's Avatar
      TheLeviathan -
      No doubt it has more depth. I utilize mogul as an online interactive sim as opposed to single player. Single player mogul is a joke next to OOTP.
    1. Alex's Avatar
      Alex -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
      No doubt it has more depth. I utilize mogul as an online interactive sim as opposed to single player. Single player mogul is a joke next to OOTP.
      Online play offers the same kinds of experiences, too, but if you like Mogul, there's nothing wrong with that either.
    1. TheLeviathan's Avatar
      TheLeviathan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
      Online play offers the same kinds of experiences, too, but if you like Mogul, there's nothing wrong with that either.
      I tried OOTP solo and that's where the sheer overwhelming nature of OOTP turned me off. The user interface for that game was like a damn schematic to me at first and by the time I had it down some of the quirks of it just got annoying to me. It's one thing to make a game challenging to succeed at, it's another to make it mind numbing to even do menial tasks. I hear this was improved since I tried (3-4 years ago) so I might have to give it another crack.
    1. ashburyjohn's Avatar
      ashburyjohn -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
      I tried OOTP solo and that's where the sheer overwhelming nature of OOTP turned me off. The user interface for that game was like a damn schematic to me at first and by the time I had it down some of the quirks of it just got annoying to me. It's one thing to make a game challenging to succeed at, it's another to make it mind numbing to even do menial tasks. I hear this was improved since I tried (3-4 years ago) so I might have to give it another crack.
      You do have to play it enough so that certain routine operations become rote. Which can become a circular argument, if you don't quite reach that threshold.
    1. PseudoSABR's Avatar
      PseudoSABR -
      Top notch game. I think some of the older iterations of OOTP are available for free or dirt cheap, if you want to wet your toe. As Levi says the game can be overwhelming, but the depth is unrivaled and worth the investment.
    1. Alex's Avatar
      Alex -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
      I tried OOTP solo and that's where the sheer overwhelming nature of OOTP turned me off. The user interface for that game was like a damn schematic to me at first and by the time I had it down some of the quirks of it just got annoying to me. It's one thing to make a game challenging to succeed at, it's another to make it mind numbing to even do menial tasks. I hear this was improved since I tried (3-4 years ago) so I might have to give it another crack.
      Yeah, I get that. You can have the computer manage a lot of things for you to start and then add in things you'd like to do slowly. If you get back into it, I can certainly give you some ideas if you need them.

      As far as making it more challenging, I've found that the more realistic you make the game the more challenging it becomes. For example, make scouts less reliable and/or do a "stats" only type of league.
    1. FlsPrpht's Avatar
      FlsPrpht -
      Lolz..."an online game called Strat-O-Matic Baseball" that games's been out since the 70s I think as a previous commenter said with dice.
    1. Steve Lein's Avatar
      Steve Lein -
      Quote Originally Posted by AJPettersen View Post
      I was going to tweet at you, but I forgot. I went with your suggestion!
      Sweet! It's a high-energy intro that kinda amps me up, looks like it might be doing the same for you! Keep it up man, you guys are doing great!
    1. SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
      SgtSchmidt11 -
      Game is pretty fun, but I had to turn the injuries down to very low. I played as the Rangers and lost every starter except Darvish and Moreland to injury. Kinda weird that everybody would get injured for a long period of time, Mark DeRosa couldn't carry the slack...
    1. PseudoSABR's Avatar
      PseudoSABR -
      Quote Originally Posted by SgtSchmidt11 View Post
      Game is pretty fun, but I had to turn the injuries down to very low. I played as the Rangers and lost every starter except Darvish and Moreland to injury. Kinda weird that everybody would get injured for a long period of time, Mark DeRosa couldn't carry the slack...
      I think the classic setting works just fine. Like the Twins last year, your team just became crippled. I doubt the issue was league wide or from season to season.
    1. notoriousgod71's Avatar
      notoriousgod71 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
      (Comments posted in the Community Blogs section don't seem to make it over here to the articles/forums area, so I'm re-posting here. Maybe RP can explain why this happens.)

      I've played OOTP enough to love it, and eventually come to critique aspects of it that are too easy to exploit. One can put the setting to higher difficulty, of course, but that seems to make it unrealistic in a different extreme. Still, as an inveterate tinkerer, I found the game very very addictive for days at a time.

      I've played Strat-O-Matic only as the dice-game version, starting way back in the 70's or so, and again when my sons were old enough to enjoy it. (Never got my daughter into it - or my wife for that matter - go figure.)

      Before we discovered SOM, by brother and I devised our own randomized game based on our baseball cards' stats. Much cruder than the commercial products that we didn't know about yet, but for kids around 10 or 12 years old it wasn't bad.

      All this is basically to say: welcome to the crowd.
      Strato makes life worth living.
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.