• Vance Worley Demoted to AAA-Rochester

    Immediately following today's 8-3 loss to the Braves, the Twins demoted Opening Day starting pitcher, Vance Worley, to AAA-Rochester. Worley had given up eight runs in 3.2 innings in today's game, raising his ERA to 7.21 on the year. The Twins did not announce a corresponding move, though they have announced that Samuel Deduno will pitch on Friday and has not been called up. However, he will be taking Hernandez' - not Worley's - spot in the rotation.

    Worley joined the Twins this offseason when he was acquired from the Philadelphia Phillies along with pitching prospect Trevor May for outfielder Ben Revere. With the Phillies, Worley had posted 3.50 ERA over 2+ seasons with a 7.7 K/9 ratio. However, his 2012 season had been cut short for elbow surgery to remove bone chips. With the Twins, his K/9 is just 4.6. If he has had any injuries this year, neither he nor the team has revealed them.

    Worley's turn in the rotation would come on Monday the 27th. The Twins have not announced who will ultimately take his place in the rotation. Earlier this week, they chose Deduno over Kyle Gibson, Andrew Albers and PJ Walters to replace Hernandez. Prospect Kyle Gibson, who has thrown two complete game shutouts in his last three outings, was originally scheduled to have his next start in AAA this weekend. If he makes that start, he would not be available for Monday, so that might be an indicator whether the Twins are leaning towards calling him up for his major league debut.
    Comments 79 Comments
    1. Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
      Brock Beauchamp -
      Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
      You should mix in the occasional 'meow' instead, especially if it's preceded by 'right'.
      i can haz cheezeburger
    1. Mr. Brooks's Avatar
      Mr. Brooks -
      Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
      I don't care if I ever see Worley in a Twins uniform again. Actually, I do care...I hope I don't.

      He quickly cemented a place on my "all time least favorite Twins" list in April, and has been steadily moving up since. He passed Tommy Herr long ago.

      The lack of stuff is one thing, but what I hated most:
      - the haircut
      - the "you owe me that call" look every time a close pitch didn't go his way
      - the "you owe me that play" look every time a tough play wasn't made behind him
      - the impression I got that he was pissed at the world because he ended up in lowly Minnesota, rather than pitching for the Phillies, which was his birthright

      Good riddance.
      Couldn't agree more.
      Its funny that I was ripped to shreds when I posted that he had a terrible attitude and wouldnt be any good.
      I guess it was just a "lucky guess" on my part. Nobody could have possibly seen this coming!
    1. mike wants wins's Avatar
      mike wants wins -
      Couldn't disagree more. Who cares what his hair looks like, geeze. I don't think we have any idea how he feels about being here. I think you are reading way too much into stuff we have no idea about.
    1. spideyo's Avatar
      spideyo -
      I want Vanimal to get his stuff together in AAA and come back and be a great part of our rotation, if for no other reason than to keep me from being bitter and angry about losing Revere
    1. Forever34's Avatar
      Forever34 -
      Doubt Gibson will get the call. On the broadcast yesterday they said that they will call Gibson up when they are 100% sure he is fully back and that once he is in the big leagues he will stay in the big leagues.
    1. Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
      Brock Beauchamp -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
      Couldn't agree more.
      Its funny that I was ripped to shreds when I posted that he had a terrible attitude and wouldnt be any good.
      I guess it was just a "lucky guess" on my part. Nobody could have possibly seen this coming!
      It seems to me that your attitude argument was rendered invalid by how Worley actually took the demotion. Your argument was structured around Worley's own accountability for his performances, which he readily admitted "earned" him this demotion.

      So his vague comments about weight were bad, his early season "I just didn't get my pitches" comments were bad, but his "I'm not pitching well" comment does not count.
    1. fairweather's Avatar
      fairweather -
      Worley, Pelfrey, and Correia ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE AND WE'RE LETTING TERRY RYAN OFF THE HOOK! IF YOU WANT TO CROWN HIM THEN CROWN HIM BUT HE IS WHO WE THOUGHT HE WAS.........CAPTAIN CHEAP-O
    1. Willihammer's Avatar
      Willihammer -
      Quote Originally Posted by fairweather View Post
      Worley, Pelfrey, and Correia ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE AND WE'RE LETTING TERRY RYAN OFF THE HOOK! IF YOU WANT TO CROWN HIM THEN CROWN HIM BUT HE IS WHO WE THOUGHT HE WAS.........CAPTAIN CHEAP-O
      One of the all-time greats:

      Dennis Green "They are what we thought they were, and we let them off the hook!" - YouTube
    1. IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
      IdahoPilgrim -
      Quote Originally Posted by fairweather View Post
      Worley, Pelfrey, and Correia ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE AND WE'RE LETTING TERRY RYAN OFF THE HOOK! IF YOU WANT TO CROWN HIM THEN CROWN HIM BUT HE IS WHO WE THOUGHT HE WAS.........CAPTAIN CHEAP-O
      You do know Denny Green was pretty well mocked when he made that rant, right?
    1. stringer bell's Avatar
      stringer bell -
      I can't be too down on Vanimal because of the glasses, the hat or anything he has said. He just hasn't done the job on the mound. I think he falls right behind Gibson (and ahead of Hendriks) in upside, but he isn't dominating, he is another guy with little margin for error who has to hit his spots and depend on his defense. Not an ace or #2 or even #3.
    1. Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
      Brock Beauchamp -
      Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
      I can't be too down on Vanimal because of the glasses, the hat or anything he has said. He just hasn't done the job on the mound. I think he falls right behind Gibson (and ahead of Hendriks) in upside, but he isn't dominating, he is another guy with little margin for error who has to hit his spots and depend on his defense. Not an ace or #2 or even #3.
      Eh, I still think his ceiling is a decent #3. League average to slightly above league average for several years.

      But to figure out how to make that happen, he needs to figure out how to miss a few more bats in the AL.
    1. mcrow's Avatar
      mcrow -
      late to this thread but I'm terribly disappointed with Worley. I thought he had a chance to get a new start and that he had the stuff to be a good solid mid rotation guy. Really makes that trade look bad now but we will see.
    1. Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
      Brock Beauchamp -
      Quote Originally Posted by mcrow View Post
      Really makes that trade look bad now but we will see.
      The trade still looks good. Revere has been just as bad for Philly and May is stumbling a bit at AA but still has potential to turn it around.

      Right now, the trade was two teams trading a bunch of mediocre-to-bad players, only the Twins got two of them and only gave away one.
    1. mcrow's Avatar
      mcrow -
      Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
      The trade still looks good. Revere has been just as bad for Philly and May is stumbling a bit at AA but still has potential to turn it around.

      Right now, the trade was two teams trading a bunch of mediocre-to-bad players, only the Twins got two of them and only gave away one.
      True, not so bad when you look at it that way. I still have a good feeling about May though, so all is not lost.
    1. SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
      SpiritofVodkaDave -
      People still watch this joke of a team? Heh
    1. spideyo's Avatar
      spideyo -
      Hey it could be worse. We could be Royals fans
    1. mcrow's Avatar
      mcrow -
      Quote Originally Posted by spideyo View Post
      Hey it could be worse. We could be Royals fans
      Right now I'd take being the Royals...
    1. snepp's Avatar
      snepp -
      Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
      i can haz cheezeburger

      You can haz AAA demotion.




      Right meow.
    1. SweetOne69's Avatar
      SweetOne69 -
      Quote Originally Posted by dwintheiser View Post
      I suspect the Twins are waiting to hear from Worley's agent as to whether or not he'll accept the assignment (his option was exercised by the Phillies in his rookie year).

      It seems unlikely he'll decline the assignment, but if he does, that opens a spot on the 40-man; otherwise, he'll likely just be replaced on the 25-man.
      This only applies to veterans. Worley hasn't achieved that status yet.

      Pelfrey on the other hand has. Even though Pelfrey does have an option left, since he has veteran status he can refuse the assignment and become a free agent.
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.