Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
  • Twins Minor League Report (6/20): Darnell Delivers

    The Appalachian League started on Thursday night and Elizabethton started where they left off last year. On Friday, the Gulf Coast League will begin. The Cedar Rapids Kernels began the second half of their season. Kyle Gibson had another terrific start for Rochester, but it was not the best start in the organization on this day.

    Keep reading to see what happened in the Twins farm system on Thursday:

    Rochester Red Wings 5, Scranton/Wilkes Barre RailRiders 2

    Box Score

    Kyle Gibson improved to 7-5 and dropped his ERA to 3.01 with another strong performance. He gave up only an unearned run on five hits and a walk in seven innings. He struck out six. Blake Martin gave up a solo homer in the eighth. Michael Tonkin struck out one in a scoreless ninth to record his fourth save.

    Chris Colabello continues to lead the offense. He went 3-5 with his 15th home run. Chris Herrmann now has a 10 game hitting streak after a 2-4 game. Doug Bernier was also 2-4. Ray Olmedo was 2-3.

    ASIDE Ė It seems to me that too many Twins fans are focusing on the fact that Kyle Gibson is not yet with the big league club. I would love to see him up, and I think it will happen soon, but I choose to look at it differently. He is a much, much better pitcher now than he was six or seven starts ago, and that, to me, is the most important thing.

    New Britain Rock Cats 2, Erie Thunder 0

    Box Score

    Logan Darnell just keeps on rolling. The lefty put in the best start of his fine season, throwing a complete game shutout. He gave up four hits, walked one and struck out nine. He threw just 99 pitches and dropped his ERA to 2.61 (speaking of guys who need a promotion).

    The Rock Cats had just four hits. Kyle Knudson had two of them. Reynaldo Rodriguez hit his ninth home run of the season.



    Ft. Myers Miracle 5, Jupiter Hammerheads 2

    Box Score

    Kennys Vargas no longer has the likes of Miguel Sano and Eddie Rosario in the lineup with him, but he isnít missing a beat. On this night, he was 3-4. In the last three games, he is 7-11 with three extra base hits. John Murphy went 2-4 and stole his fourth base. Candido Pimentel was 2-3 with his first double.

    Matt Summers started for the Miracle. In five innings, he gave up two runs on three hits. He walked one and struck out five. Adrian Salcedo came on and struck out two in two scoreless innings. Zack Jones recorded his eighth save with two scoreless innings. He walked one and struck out three.

    Cedar Rapids Kernels 3, Wisconsin Timber Rattlers 1

    Box Score

    The Kernels returned from the All Star break and made the trek to Appleton, Wisconsin to take on the Timber Rattlers. There wasnít much offense, but Travis Harrison provided what was needed. His 12th home run of the season was a two-run blast that proved to be all the team would need. He also added his 19th double. Niko Goodrum was 2-4. JD Williams was 2-3. Max Kepler went 0-3 with a walk in his first MWL game.

    Christian Powell won his first game. The right-hander gave up one run on four hits in seven innings. He walked two and struck out five. Caleb Brewer recorded his first Kernelsí save, giving up up two hits in two shutout innings.

    Elizabethton Twins 3, Bristol White Sox 0

    Box Score

    This season, the E-Twins began with a home series against Bristol. Felix Jorge got the start. He struck out three in 1.2 innings before the rains came. There was enough of a delay that he did not come back. Tim Shibuya came on and went the next 4.1 innings. He gave up no runs on two hits and a walk. Dallas Gallant pitched a scoreless inning. Finally, Luis Nunez struck out three over the final two innings to record his first save of the season.

    The E-Twins didnít get much offense but Bo Altobelli had two hits and Rory Rhodes had the lone extra base hit, a double. Tanner Vavra led off and went 1-3 with a walk.


    Please feel free to comment or ask questions below.
    This article was originally published in blog: Twins Minor League Report (6/20): Darnell Delivers started by Seth Stohs
    Comments 47 Comments
    1. DonnyMagic's Avatar
      DonnyMagic -
      In light of Gibson showing a greater level of consistency could it be said that the ability to return from tommy john at the 9 - 12 month time frame is possible, but stretching it out closer to the 18th month is a more fruitful option? If you are allotted that luxury of course.
    1. roger's Avatar
      roger -
      Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
      Thanks Roger... been getting a lot of agreement from players near the situation too.

      As for Jorge, there was a rain delay at that point in the game. Not sure how long it lasted, but was at least 30-45 minutes. That's why he came out.

      Very cool that you got to Cedar Rapids! Do you plan to see any more games there? I'm trying to figure out when I can get there next. I hope soon!
      Wasn't in Cedar Rapids. Game was in Appleton and I watched it on MiLB TV. Only games I will get to will be Elizabethton, where I have been wanting to go for as long as I can remember. Plan to go to two games in mid August enroute to visiting J.R. who recently moved to Columbus, Ohio. Will probably go to a Clippers game with him, haven't checked to see if by chance Rochester will be in town.
    1. Steve Penz's Avatar
      Steve Penz -
      Seth- if you have touched on this an I missed then please forgive me. What is news on Darnell's improvement this year? Whip, BB, Hits and HR #s are down while SO and innings are up. Last year he started 28 games and pitched 156 innings. At his current pace, 28 starts will produce 179 innings. That is serious improvement. Are there specific things to attribute this to?
    1. mattkummer's Avatar
      mattkummer -
      I attended the Cedar Rapids game in Appleton last night. It was fun to see these guys up close (and I was close-- front row behind the on-deck circle). When you see them-- you realize these are young kids. They are still learning to play the game. Niko Goodrum is a good example of that-- he made a base-running blunder on a short fly ball that led to him getting doubled off. You could tell he had a mental lapse. But my takeaway, that he was eager to learn from it. I saw him talking with Jake Mauer immediately after, and it seemed like a productive, positive conversation.
      Travis Harrison had a great night-- blasted a homer, hit a double off the wall in center in his next AB. He also made a nice play, bare-handing a bunt to throw a runner out on a close play at first. (Although, I'm told replays showed the ump blew the call).
      Buxton and Kepler had unremarkable nights. Buxton was 0-4, but he hit the ball hard in his first AB. Kepler, 0-3 with a walk. (For the record, I saw Miguel Sano here last year when he was with Beloit, and he also went 0-4. Maybe it's me). All in all, it was a solid win for the Kernels.
    1. IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
      IdahoPilgrim -
      Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
      The Gibson situation is just one of many things that has made this Twins season maddening & kind of unfun to watch. I cant get into any Pelfrey start & just hope every game he gets drilled just so they will finally move onto the inevitable Gibson recall.
      Oh, come on, I'll take this season over the last two any time. Sure, there are things I don't like and I wish were different, but there have actually been some pretty fun games. Last year I would have preferred getting my teeth drilled to what on saw on the screen sometimes.

      And while I understand the intent, I guess I'm just not wired to hope a Twins player fails - just as I can't hope for a bad season in order to get a better draft pick. Just the way I am.
    1. 70charger's Avatar
      70charger -
      Quote Originally Posted by IdahoPilgrim View Post
      Oh, come on, I'll take this season over the last two any time. Sure, there are things I don't like and I wish were different, but there have actually been some pretty fun games. Last year I would have preferred getting my teeth drilled to what on saw on the screen sometimes.

      And while I understand the intent, I guess I'm just not wired to hope a Twins player fails - just as I can't hope for a bad season in order to get a better draft pick. Just the way I am.
      If I could like this multiple times, I would.

      I don't understand the pathological need of so many people to see certain Twins' players and front office personnel fail in order to assure themselves that they aren't wrong.

      I watch baseball to be entertained, not to prove myself right. And this season is much more entertaining than the last two. Is it really that hard to sit back and enjoy it!?
    1. Mr. Ed's Avatar
      Mr. Ed -
      Minier has a double/HR today, 3rbi for GCL Twins.

      Here's an article I was pointed to on Minier

      http://www.news-press.com/article/20...306210035/1010
    1. Jack Torse's Avatar
      Jack Torse -
      Seth,

      Has Gibson confirmed to you that he's on an innings limit? Somewhere I heard that he was asked about it and said the Twins haven't said anything to him about one.
    1. SeanS7921's Avatar
      SeanS7921 -
      So is this the new game? The write ups don't include the only people that we really care about because why? Byron Buxton wasn't mentioned. Even if he didn't start and his only highlight was that he picked his nose that should still be the headline. Miguel Sano, Eddie Rosario I didn't see mentioned. If Trevor May and Alex Meyer didn't start it should say - Trevor May starts tomorrow or Alex Meyer starts tomorrow with the added piece: Because they are the only pitchers that could be front end guys the Twins have in their system (minus Kyle Gibson who was mentioned).
    1. mike wants wins's Avatar
      mike wants wins -
      mattkummer, great post. thanks,
    1. Tibs's Avatar
      Tibs -
      Quote Originally Posted by SeanS7921 View Post
      So is this the new game? The write ups don't include the only people that we really care about because why? Byron Buxton wasn't mentioned. Even if he didn't start and his only highlight was that he picked his nose that should still be the headline. Miguel Sano, Eddie Rosario I didn't see mentioned. If Trevor May and Alex Meyer didn't start it should say - Trevor May starts tomorrow or Alex Meyer starts tomorrow with the added piece: Because they are the only pitchers that could be front end guys the Twins have in their system (minus Kyle Gibson who was mentioned).
      Slow your roll there.
    1. 60ft6in's Avatar
      60ft6in -
      Quote Originally Posted by mattkummer View Post
      I attended the Cedar Rapids game in Appleton last night. It was fun to see these guys up close (and I was close-- front row behind the on-deck circle). When you see them-- you realize these are young kids. They are still learning to play the game. Niko Goodrum is a good example of that-- he made a base-running blunder on a short fly ball that led to him getting doubled off. You could tell he had a mental lapse. But my takeaway, that he was eager to learn from it. I saw him talking with Jake Mauer immediately after, and it seemed like a productive, positive conversation.
      Travis Harrison had a great night-- blasted a homer, hit a double off the wall in center in his next AB. He also made a nice play, bare-handing a bunt to throw a runner out on a close play at first. (Although, I'm told replays showed the ump blew the call).
      Buxton and Kepler had unremarkable nights. Buxton was 0-4, but he hit the ball hard in his first AB. Kepler, 0-3 with a walk. (For the record, I saw Miguel Sano here last year when he was with Beloit, and he also went 0-4. Maybe it's me). All in all, it was a solid win for the Kernels.
      I believe Terry Ryan was also in Appleton last night watching the CR game. He is supposed to remain for most/all of the series.
    1. Seth Stohs's Avatar
      Seth Stohs -
      Quote Originally Posted by SeanS7921 View Post
      So is this the new game? The write ups don't include the only people that we really care about because why? Byron Buxton wasn't mentioned. Even if he didn't start and his only highlight was that he picked his nose that should still be the headline. Miguel Sano, Eddie Rosario I didn't see mentioned. If Trevor May and Alex Meyer didn't start it should say - Trevor May starts tomorrow or Alex Meyer starts tomorrow with the added piece: Because they are the only pitchers that could be front end guys the Twins have in their system (minus Kyle Gibson who was mentioned).
      These daily reports are not at all designed to only highlight the top prospects. 25-35 players from each affiliate is working hard. They're putting in time, and they absolutely deserve to be noticed. This site is not just for the top prospects. Those guys get stories written about them frequently. There are forums dedicated to them. This daily report will highlight all minor leaguers. And, I'm proud of that. They deserve it!
    1. Seth Stohs's Avatar
      Seth Stohs -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jack Torse View Post
      Seth,

      Has Gibson confirmed to you that he's on an innings limit? Somewhere I heard that he was asked about it and said the Twins haven't said anything to him about one.
      Kyle has never told me that. He was on with Reusse and Mackey 3-4 weeks ago and indicated to them that when he was optioned during spring training, TR and Gardy told him to just go out and pitch. They said nothing of an innings limit other than to say that would be evaluated as the season goes along. 130-140 is the number that's out there, but I sense it'll be higher than that, assuming he feels good.
    1. jokin's Avatar
      jokin -
      Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
      I was with the Twins on the "inconsistent" comment six weeks ago. But when TR repeated it to Lavelle late last week, I no longer agreed. Of course, "consistent" is so vague as to be almost meaningless, or it can mean whatever the Twins want it to over whatever period they want it to. It could, for example, mean he needs to pitch a shutout in every start. It could also mean that one bad start among 10 is enough to make him inconsistent. That's what's so insidious about their position. Six weeks ago it made sense. Now it certainly does not.

      You have confidence he will be up soon. I think he'll run out of innings in AAA and they'll say he just wasn't consistent this year. In sooth, he's been more consistent than anybody in the Twins rotation not names Correia.
      And of course, besides his insipid repeated pablum on consistency, don't forget that Ryan insidiously undercut Gibson yet again with his Albers-maybe-first comment.
    1. jokin's Avatar
      jokin -
      Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
      I can't say I understand the Buxton one... My only guess is that it must be something other than the numbers. Obviously at those lower levels, the stats are just a part of the story. I only could wish I understood the whole story. But, they certainly have their reasons.

      Like I've said, I could justify the Gibson thing six weeks ago and even 2-3 weeks ago, but he should be up as well.
      All some of us can say at this point, without any glee or enjoyment of that fact is: "See....Told you so." Sano having to spend an entire season in Siberia....oops, I mean Beloit, should have been the proof. Very familiar and disappointing developments, yet again.
    1. nicksaviking's Avatar
      nicksaviking -
      Quote Originally Posted by 60ft6in View Post
      I believe Terry Ryan was also in Appleton last night watching the CR game. He is supposed to remain for most/all of the series.
      So are none of the Kernals getting promoted because Ryan wants to see them all in person first? So he didn't go to CR before the All-Star break beause he was busy with the draft but made a road trip to Eastern WI instead? If that's the case I think the timing is poor especially considering he states he relies on his scouts and he does very little of that any longer.
    1. PseudoSABR's Avatar
      PseudoSABR -
      Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
      So are none of the Kernals getting promoted because Ryan wants to see them all in person first? So he didn't go to CR before the All-Star break beause he was busy with the draft but made a road trip to Eastern WI instead? If that's the case I think the timing is poor especially considering he states he relies on his scouts and he does very little of that any longer.
      How horrible it is for a GM to take personal stake in prospects. Oh boy.

      Honestly, I doubt most GMs make such trips, and the fact that such endeavors are used against the front office seems petty.

      I doubt TR's evaluation is simply about promotion but probably has as much to do wit long term plans. Yes, perhaps the club held players back for a week so they could be seen by the actual GM--maybe Buxton (or Harrison or Walker, or whomever) misses an oh-so meaningful week of Ft. Myers ball (at most).

      I'm glad to see that the guy in charge of making a winning ball club wants to personally see the minor league prospects at such a low level--there must be potential meaningful parts of future major league club there for TR to go to such trouble. For my part, TR as a roving scout demonstrates investment in minor league system as whole, if not individual players--more, I hope it indicates a keen anticipation of future needs. Get out there, TR, and assess what you need to add to the system or how much you should rally over what we already have.

      If the dude is going to Cedar Rapids, he's digging in. I'm not sure how many GMs actually visit their low-A affiliate, but it's super cool the Twins GM is one of them.
    1. kab21's Avatar
      kab21 -
      If anyone had any doubt that Gibson should be called up it should be gone by now.

      I think for Gibson's development this last month in AAA has been beneficial long term even if he would have been a better MLB option than Pelfrey. He has had fairly long sustained run of great starts and I would be very surprised if he isn't a very different pitcher than he was in April. Perhaps he could have worked through this at the MLB level or perhaps he could be a complete mess if hitters were treating him like Liam Hendriks.
    1. diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
      diehardtwinsfan -
      1) Ryan visits the minor league affiliates every year. I don't see how it's a bad thing. If I remember right, this isn't even his first trip to CR.

      2) Gibson gets called up when one of the rotation gets hurt, traded, or utterly implodes. The deadline is not far away, and I full expect someone to give a C+ prospect for one of our starters.
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.