For the Twins there was plenty of news this week. The Marlins turned out to be pesky but they have surprised more than one team in the National League this season. Kyle Gibson will be making his big league debut on Saturday and this is a moment to get a little bit excited about. Twins fans have heard his name for multiple seasons.
Ryan Doumit had a cool slide, Byron Buxton is good at baseball, and the trade deadline is approaching. All these things and more in the latest edition of "Links-N-Thinks.”
- Stuart Turner, a 2013 Twins draft pick, was honored with the Johnny Bench Award. This award is given to the nation's best Division One catcher.
- Here's a look at how Kyle Gibson did in each game this season for AAA-Rochester.
- Now that Gibson will be part of the rotation, one pitcher is going to have to lose his job.
- Clete Thomas has changed his swing and this has helped him to be more productive.
- The trade deadline is a little over a month away and it's tough to know if there is a trade market for Morneau.
- Logan Darnell is one step away from the big leagues after a very good season thus far.
- If you want to geek out a little, check out this article that looks at OPS minus batting average.
- Who should be blamed for the struggles the Twins have experienced against the Yankees?
- The back story of Max Kepler is one of the best in baseball.
- Kernels fans can't watch Byron Buxton any more but a German-born player could be the next to take that team by storm.
- Speaking of Buxton... It can be fun to examine the tools he has as a player.
- Buxton and Miguel Sano will represent the Twins in MLB's Futures Game.
- The Twins minor league system might be ahead of the curve in this new type of training.
- Are the Twins a fascinating team? Maybe when Buxton and Sano get here.
- Joe Mauer is chasing Mickey Vernon.
- Scientists may have unlocked the mystery in the evolution of pitchers.
- Is there a way to improve umpiring in MLB without increasing replay?
- Michael Cuddyer has been having quite the season for the Rockies.
- In this clip, Nick Punto has to fight some fans for a foul ball. You could also listen to it just to hear Vin Scully's voice.
- Matt Garza could be the best pitcher available at this year's trade deadline.
- I love collecting ticket stubs so this is one of the saddest trends in baseball right now.
- Cleveland has sure been making some noise in the AL Central.
- Kerry Wood made a scary discovery while paddling around in a boat.
- There is more than one reason why Bull Durham is a good movie.
- I know you want to see Hawk Harrelson in an outfit that is strangely similar to the Hamburglar.
My Weekly Rundown
- Talk to Contact: Episode 42
- Monday: 2013 Minnesota Twins Trade Candidates
- Wednesday: Twins Minor League Report (6/26): Sano's Big Day
- Thursday: A Checklist for Kyle Gibson
Video of the Week: Ryan Doumit had to get a little creative on this play at the plate. He missed the plate on his first pass and he had to sneak back behind the catcher to score a run. I'm sure Oswaldo Arcia was happy since it added to his RBI total but it was still a funny play to watch unfold. Watch it again and enjoy your weekend!