• Twins vs Royals, 07-20-2012, 7:10pm

    The Twins handed a late lead to the Orioles and lost yesterday's game, 4-3. That left them with a disappointing 2-5 homestand as they travel to Kansas City to meet the fourth place Royals and play a three game set.

    But hey, Nick Blackburn is back in the rotation! After pitching well in a couple of starts in Rochester, the Twins have brought Nick back to Minnesota in hopes that he's be and track and that his sinker is finally, uh, sinking. To counter, the Royals are offering their own struggling right-hander in Luke Hochevar to keep the playing field even.

    Now that Blackburn is back, what do you expect from him? Will he continue to get shelled at the Major League level or is there a chance he has figured out his sinker again? Join the Twins Daily discussion below!

    Nick Blackburn

    W L ERA G GS CG SHO IP H R ER HR HB BB IBB SO AVG WHIP GO/AO
    SEASON 4 5 8.10 13 13 0 0 63.1 90 57 57 15 0 22 0 30 .333 1.77 1.25
    MLB Totals 43 51 4.79 139 131 5 0 783.1 950 466 417 109 18 198 11 376 .301 1.47 1.34

    Luke Hochevar

    W L ERA G GS CG SHO IP H R ER HR HB BB IBB SO AVG WHIP GO/AO
    SEASON 6 8 5.16 18 18 1 1 103.0 111 60 59 11 7 33 2 75 .280 1.40 1.24
    MLB Totals 36 51 5.27 118 114 4 2 688.2 734 428 403 79 34 229 8 462 .272 1.40 1.38

    Twins Offense
    RK Player Team Pos G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
    1 Mauer, J MIN C 84 313 49 103 20 1 6 44 47 49 4 1 .329 .416 .457 .873
    2 Revere, B MIN RF 58 243 28 76 8 2 0 15 10 19 20 5 .313 .342 .362 .705
    3 Doumit, R MIN C 74 256 28 73 18 1 7 41 21 55 0 0 .285 .339 .445 .784
    4 Span, D MIN CF 84 340 42 95 22 2 3 29 35 43 9 5 .279 .346 .382 .728
    5 Willingham, J MIN LF 88 315 54 87 22 1 23 67 50 84 2 1 .276 .392 .571 .963
    6 Mastroianni, D MIN LF 35 72 10 19 1 1 1 8 9 13 9 2 .264 .346 .347 .693
    7 Plouffe, T MIN RF 73 256 44 67 12 0 19 38 26 56 0 3 .262 .333 .531 .865
    8 Morneau, J MIN 1B 72 280 34 71 17 1 11 40 25 58 1 0 .254 .317 .439 .756
    9 Dozier, B MIN SS 62 237 24 57 8 1 4 26 10 41 6 2 .241 .272 .333 .605
    10 Carroll, J MIN SS 85 292 36 70 11 1 0 28 34 43 6 3 .240 .322 .284 .606
    11 Butera, D MIN C 26 68 5 16 5 0 1 4 4 16 0 0 .235 .288 .353 .641
    12 Casilla, A MIN 2B 62 181 16 42 10 1 0 16 9 34 10 1 .232 .265 .298 .564
    13 Komatsu, E MIN RF 15 32 2 7 0 0 0 1 4 3 0 0 .219 .297 .219 .516
    14 Hughes, L MIN 2B 4 10 0 2 0 0 0 2 0 4 1 0 .200 .182 .200 .382
    15 Parmelee, C MIN 1B 38 103 9 20 5 1 2 5 9 27 0 0 .194 .278 .320 .599
    16 Valencia, D MIN 3B 27 100 9 19 5 1 1 11 2 23 0 1 .190 .204 .290 .494

    Royals Offense
    RK Player Team Pos G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
    1 Mazzaro, V KC P 2 4 0 2 0 0 0 1 0 2 0 0 .500 .500 .500 1.000
    2 Perez, S KC C 19 69 12 26 5 0 5 9 2 4 0 0 .377 .394 .667 1.061
    3 Bourgeois, J KC CF 19 33 8 11 2 1 0 4 3 2 3 3 .333 .389 .455 .843
    4 Falu, I KC 2B 15 53 8 17 4 1 0 5 1 9 0 0 .321 .333 .434 .767
    5 Escobar, A KC SS 89 331 37 102 21 3 4 28 15 61 14 2 .308 .349 .426 .775
    6 Getz, C KC 2B 41 117 13 35 7 2 0 12 7 9 6 2 .299 .336 .393 .729
    7 Butler, B KC 1B 90 337 35 100 13 0 18 56 32 58 2 1 .297 .367 .496 .863
    8 Gordon, A KC LF 91 363 52 106 31 3 5 33 49 71 3 3 .292 .378 .435 .814
    9 Cain, L KC CF 12 38 7 11 2 0 2 7 2 6 0 0 .289 .310 .500 .810
    10 Moustakas, M KC 3B 86 329 45 88 22 0 16 49 23 69 3 2 .267 .321 .480 .801
    11 Pena, B KC C 45 140 11 37 9 0 1 17 5 14 0 1 .264 .286 .350 .636
    12 Dyson, J KC CF 68 216 35 54 6 4 0 7 20 39 17 3 .250 .313 .315 .627
    12 Francoeur, J KC RF 88 348 34 87 15 3 8 27 16 64 1 4 .250 .290 .379 .669
    14 Betancourt, Y KC 2B 47 180 20 42 11 1 6 31 9 20 0 1 .233 .266 .406 .671
    15 Quintero, H KC C 43 138 7 32 12 0 1 19 4 28 0 1 .232 .257 .341 .598
    16 Hosmer, E KC 1B 88 333 38 75 16 1 9 40 31 51 9 1 .225 .294 .360 .655
    17 Giavotella, J KC 2B 21 69 8 15 3 0 0 6 4 12 0 0 .217 .260 .261 .521
    Comments 77 Comments
    1. SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
      SpiritofVodkaDave -
      Mauer is now hitting over .380 since May 20th and has an OPS somewhere around .975
    1. ashburyjohn's Avatar
      ashburyjohn -
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
      Mauer is now hitting over .380 since May 20th and has an OPS somewhere around .975
      It's an empty .975.
    1. IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
      IdahoPilgrim -
      Yes! Nice play all around to throw out the runner at the plate.
    1. IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
      IdahoPilgrim -
      Boy, that was a PERFECT throw by Casilla.
    1. USAFChief's Avatar
      USAFChief -
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
      Mauer is now hitting over .380 since May 20th and has an OPS somewhere around .975
      Technical foul. Recent performance isn't allowed when evaluating players.

      It's known as the Liriano rule.
    1. SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
      SpiritofVodkaDave -
      Revere should not be in RF..wow.
    1. SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
      SpiritofVodkaDave -
      Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
      Technical foul. Recent performance isn't allowed when evaluating players.

      It's known as the Liriano rule.
      Good point, I hate it when players preform well in a given period of time that completely matches their production in an earlier body of work.

      i.e. Liriano is pitching very well the past 10 games, he also had the lowest FIP in the AL in 2010.
    1. Ultima Ratio's Avatar
      Ultima Ratio -
      Our offense could really be something if Morneau could get back to something close to his pre concussion effectiveness. Nice defense Casilla.
    1. notoriousgod71's Avatar
      notoriousgod71 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
      Our offense could really be something if Morneau could get back to something close to his pre concussion effectiveness. Nice defense Casilla.
      vs Right handers he is.
    1. IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
      IdahoPilgrim -
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
      Good point, I hate it when players preform well in a given period of time that completely matches their production in an earlier body of work.

      i.e. Liriano is pitching very well the past 10 games, he also had the lowest FIP in the AL in 2010.
      Could we work some kind of contract with him where we only pay him for even-numbered years?
    1. SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
      SpiritofVodkaDave -
      Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
      Could we work some kind of contract with him where we only pay him for even-numbered years?
      We did it for Punto.
    1. TheLeviathan's Avatar
      TheLeviathan -
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
      We did it for Punto.
      Well at least we've come down from the cliff of comparing Liriano to Mauer.
    1. TheLeviathan's Avatar
      TheLeviathan -
      Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
      Technical foul. Recent performance isn't allowed when evaluating players.

      It's known as the Liriano rule.
      I know, for the life of me I can't get you cultists to even acknowledge 2011! Strangest damn thing it is.

      I guess I should work on 2012 first, I keep hearing "frontline" about a guy who's season has a WHIP of 1.40 and an ERA+ of 85. Damn those uncooperative stats!
    1. SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
      SpiritofVodkaDave -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
      Well at least we've come down from the cliff of comparing Liriano to Mauer.
      Where did I ever compare Liriano to Mauer?
    1. TheLeviathan's Avatar
      TheLeviathan -
      Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
      Where did I ever compare Liriano to Mauer?
      You didn't, I thank you for bringing some sanity back to that. Mauer's been hitting really well lately - it's very encouraging.
    1. twinsnorth49's Avatar
      twinsnorth49 -
      Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
      I know, for the life of me I can't get you cultists to even acknowledge 2011! Strangest damn thing it is.

      I guess I should work on 2012 first, I keep hearing "frontline" about a guy who's season has a WHIP of 1.40 and an ERA+ of 85. Damn those uncooperative stats!
      Just acknowledge he's pitching well lately as has previously in his career. Seems to me that's all anyone is saying. The Mauer comparison is that a lot of people said the same things about him after 2011 as well, I notice he's playing a bit better lately too. We should probably still focus on 2011 though, that's clearly the player he really is.
    1. TheLeviathan's Avatar
      TheLeviathan -
      Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
      Just acknowledge he's pitching well lately as has previously in his career. Seems to me that's all anyone is saying. The Mauer comparison is that a lot of people said the same things about him after 2011 as well, I notice he's playing a bit better lately too. We should probably still focus on 2011 though, that's clearly the player he really is.
      Liriano has been pitching very well. He couldn't have picked a better time! But that's not all that's being said. People are cherry-picking the last 10 starts as a way to justify their opinion he is worthy of a contract extension and to validate the limb they went out on with him pre-season, which Liriano promptly buried in April.

      I was someone who thought he was going to have a 2010-esque season this year. But I put the Kool-Aid down...
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.