Random Tuesday Twins Thoughts and Tidbits
by, 05-22-2012 at 10:06 AM (1208 Views)
Originally published at The Tenth Inning Stretch
Here is this week's installment:
The parting shot today is in honor of Brian Dozier and all the buzz he generated in his rookie season as a Twin. He is not the only Dozier in the organization. Buzz Dozier pitched for 2 games for the Washington Senators in 1947 and for 2 more in 1949. He was born in Waco, TX on August 31, 1928, played in the Senators' organization (from Charlotte Hornets to Chattanooga Lookouts to Augusta Tigers) until 1950 and had a year with 3 Independent League Teams in 1951 (Port Arthur Seahaws, Sherman-Denison Twins and Texarcana Bears.) Afterwards he went to school at Baylor University in Waco TX, lived all his life in Waco, TX and died in Waco, TX on November 24, 2005 at age 77. Here is Buzz Dozier as an 18 year old rookie RHP for the Washington Senators:
- Still continuing the presentation of the top 22 arms for the 2012 MLB draft. You can find them all here. For a couple years (2009 and 2010) I live-blogged the Twins' draft, providing profiles and information for each pick, and it looks like I might resume doing it this season again. More information on the MLB draft coverage at The Tenth Inning Stretch next week, as it is getting closer to the draft.
- No matter what, one has to find humor (and maybe hope, if one is sarcastic enough) in Drew Butera's pitching appearance last Sunday at Milwaukee. He was not half way bad, either. As a matter of fact, his fastball was the fastest of any other Twins' pitcher that day not named Brian.
- Looks like the Twins want to give Carl Pavano an extra day of rest so they are looking for a spot starter this coming Thursday versus the White Sox at Chicago. I suspect that Anthony Swarzak will be it. Still the Twins need to figure out who Marquis' replacement might be (if you did not hear, he was Designated For Assignment) so this might muddy the waters
- Congratulations to Tsuyoki Nishioka for hitting his first Professional Home Run in the US last Saturday with the Rochester Red Wings.
- Here is a first year Twins' player (ok, second, if you count 12 games with Elizabethton after he signed last season) who is not a household name, but has the potential to break the top ten Twins' prospect lists one of these years: 23 year old C Matthew Koch who is hitting .265/.412/.471 in Beloit. This is higher OPS than Eddie Rosario and second only to Miguel Sano (who, btw, leads the Twins' organization with 11 home runs) in that team
- Speaking of HRs, Justin Morneau is 10 away from career 200 and Josh Willingham 10 away from career 150 HRs
- Alexi Casilla led the Twins in pretty much any defensive metric, but the manager of the millennium benched him in favor of a 38 year old and a bad fielding, cold hitting Plouffe.
- Hopefully, this latest accident does not sideline a well-performing Twins' pitcher
- A couple of Rochester Red Wings players (Anthony Slama and Mike Hollimon) and a whole bunch of Rochester executives (including a woman - don't ask) are growing mustaches for charity.
- Former Twins' First Baseman Aaron Bates has signed a contract with the Cardinals' organization
- If you are wondering why the Twins want out of Beloit, these disgraceful numbers might help you understand. The Red Wings are towards the bottom of the International League(but thankfully better than the venue-sharing Yankees) as far as attendance goes, and both the the Rock Cats and Miracle are middle high in their leagues.
- The aluminum bat "boink" sound will not escape Target Field. It will host the 2013 Big Ten Baseball Tournament
- Allegedly, a former Twins' player is cruising the NYC subway in his pajamas and harrasing young women. Not sure that I am buying the story (he lives in TX.) but who knows?
- The Twins' product of the week is perfect for the warm and humid nights at the ballpark:Nike Minnesota Twins Perfect Game Dri-FIT T Shirt
And here is a bonus video of Ben Revere singing a popular song:
[please go to the original post for the video, due to the difficulties in embedding videos here]
As always you can find all the Random Tuesday Twins Thoughts and Tidbits Posts here, in reverse chronological order.