Random Tuesday Twins Thoughts and Tidbits
by, 06-26-2012 at 09:36 AM (1115 Views)
Originally published at The Tenth Inning Stretch
Here is this week's installment:
- A first in Minnesota Twins' press coverage: A beat writer questions one of Gardy's decisions last Saturday, and Gardy lashes back at him “We’ll do the managing, and you should write.” Unfortunately for the ones who are doing the managing, pretty much everyone can manage a team to the worst record in the AL two seasons in a row.
- Congratulations to: Bobby Lanigan, Luis Perdomo and Caleb Thielbar who were promoted to AAA Rochester Red Wings from AA New Britain Rock Cats; to Dan Sattler, Dakota Watts and Edgar Ibarra who were promoted to the Rock Cats from the high A Fort Myers Miracle; and to Michael Tonkin and AJ Achter who were promoted to the Miracle from the A Beloit Snappers.
- Congratulations to Oswaldo Arcia of the AA New Britain Rock Cats for being the only Twins' representative in the 2012 Futures Game.
- 1B/OF Mark Dolenc (AA), C/RHP Tobias Streich (EST), C Billy Killian (EST), 2B Julio Torres (EST) and OF Erick Gonzalez (DSL) were released by the Twins
- The Twins have now signed 23 of their 40 2012 draft picks. Updated list with the bonus money is here
- The Twins unveiled their throw back uniforms that they will wear against the Kansas City Royals on June 30th. Unfortunately, they will be masquerading as a New York Giants' minor league affiliate, instead of wearing the proud colors of their franchise founding member of the AL, the Senators.
- I bet you did not know (I didn't) that a current Twins' player had background acting roles in TV shows like Knots Landing, Dallas and Saved by the Bell. Can you guess who? Here is an article on this player.
- Looks like other teams, in addition to the Twins, have problems spelling their players' names.
- Here is an interesting article on Twins' 1st round draft pick Byron Buxton and his life.
- Here is a great article about one of the long time Twins' minor league coaches.
- The Twins' product of the week is the Minnesota Twins Multi Magnet Sheet. Comes really handy.
The parting shot today is of one of the greater guys in the Twins' minors, LHP Tyler Robertston who will make his MLB debut for the Twins one of these days, after he was recalled from AAA Rochester Red Wingsyesterday to replace Matt Capps on the 25-man roster. He was the Twins' 3rd round pick in the 2006 draft. Chris Parmelee (1st round) and Joe Benson (2nd round) are the other players the Twins drafted in 2006 from High School and made it to the MLB. Brian Dinkelman (8th), Jeff Manship (14th), Danny Valencia (19th) and Anthony Slama (29th) were also drafted by the Twins in 2006 and made it to the majors but they were drafted out of college. A little known fact is that Tyler's dad, Jay Robertson, was also a professional pitcher in the Jays' organization in the late 70s, but never made it to the show. He was also a Twins' scout for a moon. I bet he is a proud dad these days. Robertson is wearing uniform number 64, last worn by Chris Parmelee last season and previously by September call up coaches Bill Springman in 2000 and Eric Rasmussen in 2009.