Twins Daily commentors and my 2-year old
by, 07-29-2012 at 11:18 PM (997 Views)
Ok. So Liriano has been traded to the White Sox for two marginal prospects. Let's look at at a few things we can assume to be correct:
1) The Twins were not going to offer Liriano the $12.5 mil qualifying offer at the end of the year.
2) The Twins do not want to roll the dice with Liriano in the future (ie long term contract).
3) The Twins made the best deal they could as the deadline approached. Like it or not, 2 low level prospects was it.
Now, Let's look at some facts:
1) $2 million saved is $2 million saved
2) At this point and juncture, trading to an intra-divisional rival has zero impact on the future. Liriano is a FA at the end of the year, at which point he could sign with any team. As the Twins are out of the race now, it has no bearing on this year whatsoever.
3) We, the general public, know nothing about anything. We do not know what the Twins front office thinks about Liriano, his pitching, or his state of mind. We do not know what Liriano or his agent told the Twins about next year. We do not know what other offers were on the table for Liriano.
I continuously make the mistake of looking at the comments and reactions to things like the Liriano trade, or other moves the Twins do/don't make. It never ceases to amaze me how much anger and hostility there is at the Twins and the organization. I'll bet the negative comments outweigh the positives ten to one, and the positive comments are met with ridicule and "homer" comments.
It reminds me a lot of my 2 year old. Scream and yell at everything if it isn't perfect. If something doesn't go the way you think it should go, throw a tantrum. If complaining doesn't get your way, complain louder. It makes me wonder how the Twins Daily guys could possibly keep an open mind on things when they are constantly reading whine, whine, whine all day long. All I can say is that I empathize with them as I watch my 2 year old.
Here is my take:
1) The Liriano trade was fine. Liriano's ups and downs made it impossible to get any value for him.
2) Terry Ryan needs more time to be adequately evaluated. Drafts and prospects need 3-5 years before they can be considered good or bad.
3) I have said this many times before. Ryan is working under the guidelines set before him by the Pohlads. He is working under budget constraints and who knows what else when it comes to the decisions he has to make every day. The last time Terry Ryan left, it put us back into the situation we have now. If Terry Ryan was fired today, who knows who would come in. Be careful what you wish for.
Folks, rooting for the Twins can be very difficult at times. They don't throw money around like its water (like the Wolves and Vikings have done in the past). We all know how the Pohlads operate, that they treat the Twins more like a business model, and less like a girlfriend. Not every team can have Mark Cuban as their owner. But you have to know and accept this to be a Twins fan. Otherwise you are just wasting your time and mine by having to read your whining.
The Pohlads are not going anywhere. Deal with it. Live with it the way it is. Take the Twins organization for what it is. Otherwise, please take your unfounded whining about the intelligence levels of the front office, managerial staff, etc. and direct it about 4 hours east of here. The Brewers need more "fans" anyways.