Random Tuesday Twins Thoughts and Tidbits
by, 07-24-2012 at 09:16 AM (638 Views)
Originally published at The Tenth Inning Stretch
Here is this week's installment, heavily influenced by the upcoming trade deadline:
- I decided to give daily trade talk updates for the Twins, up until the deadline. You can find them all from newer to older here. Look for today's version to be up soon.
- One of the most intriguing names that were thrown around as a possible return for Fransisco Liriano is Garrett Richards, of the Angels. He did not break through yet, but he has Verlander-like stuff, and he is 24. Verlander was an average pitcher (look at WHIP not Wins) before his age 26 season or so.
- Danny Lehmann and Shairon Martis were promoted to Rochester from New Britain, Matt Summers, Jonathan Goncalves and Clint Dempster promoted from Beloit to Ft. Myers. Mason Melotakis and Zack Jones promoted from Elizabethton to Beloit. Kennys Vargas after serving his 50 day suspension, started the season in Beloit (and promptly hit a home run at his first plate appearance.) Andrew Ferreira was assigned to Elizabethton while Rene Tosoni went to New Britain through a rehab with the Miracle after starting the season in Rochester.
- The Twins' released AA RHP Brad Jacobson last Wednesday from New Britain
- When Ryan Doumit started at LF in a day game last Thursday against the Orioles, it mark the first time he ever played the position in an official game in professional baseball. He had never played a game in the LF in the Majors or the Minors.
- The Twins have spend $6.7 million more for bonuses for 2012 rule 4 draftees than they did in 2011. A total of $12.6 million
- Congratulations to Samuel Deduno for his first MLB win on Sunday against the Kansas City Royals
- Jeff Manship was named International League Pitcher of the Week for last week. He was 2-0 in 2 starts (12 IP) and had a 2.25 ERA. He will be out of options next season and the Twins need to make a decision on him, since he has not pitched well in 3 bried stints in the majors. I would not be surprised if he is added to a trade this coming week.
- Don't look, but very quietly Darrin Mastroianni is putting better numbers than both Ben Revere and Denard Span. He is hitting .276/.353/.421 with 2 HRs and 9 SB (as many as Span) in just 86 PAs. He should be part of the discussion for a starting job as Span's replacement when traded and possibly a part of the Twins' future OF. He is just 26 (same age as Trevor Plouffe.) At least he earned a bit more playing time. Would be interesting to see more Revere/Span/Mastroianni lineups, with Willingham at DH, Doumit at C and Mauer at 1B (at least until Span gets traded.)
- I would not be surprised if Carl Pavano hangs his cleats, revealing that he would need surgery on his injured shoulder, some time soon
- Not Twins' related, but, darn, this is a darn good article about Mike Lynn (and if you don't know who Mike Lynn is, you better read)
- The Twins' product of the week is the Minnesota Twins Sportula. A perfect accessory for the grilling season. Big Twins' logo grill spatula with an integrated bottle opener on the handle... A must have.
The parting shot today is of the guy in the Kansas City game. Yeah in the game when the Twins were wearing blue Dickies overalls for uniforms. Which guy? That guy: