Random Tuesday Twins Thoughts and Tidbits
by, 07-31-2012 at 08:42 AM (806 Views)
Originally published at The Tenth Inning Stretch
Here is this week's installment, heavily influenced by today's trade deadline:
- Fransisco Liriano to the White Sox is old news. Here are profiles of the players the Twins received in return. And this is a very sad sight.
- Luis Perdomo is the newest Twins' member. He was called up from Rochester (where he was a swing man who started a few games) to take Anthony Swarzak's spot who went to the 15 day DL with soulder issues that were called "mild rotator cuff strain", which is not too good.
- Apparently replay in MLB will be expanded to include trapped ball calls and balls hit down the line. When and how and other details remain to be worked out.
- On the organizational movement front: Danny Turpen promoted to AAA Rochester, Jose Gonzalez and Matt Hauser promoted to AA New Britain. Steve Liddle and Ryan O'Rourke promoted to high A Fort Myers. DJ Baxendale and Taylor Rogers promoted to A Beloit. Chris Mazza and Luke Bard promoted to Rk+ Elizabethton. Pedro Hernandez and Eduardo Escobar, whom the Twins received from the White Sox in the Liriano trade were optioned to AAA Rochester. Brian Compton was assigned to the Rk GCL Twins. LHP Steven Evans (A Beloit Snappers) and RHP Garrett Jewell (Rk+ Elizabethton Twins, but did not pitch in 2012) were released from the organization.
- The Twins have signed free agent SP Eric Hurley (released by the Angels) and assigned him to AAA Rochester Redwings.
- Eddie Rosario is back from reconstructive face surgery after hit on the face with a ball and playing with the GCL Twins since last Wedensday, joining Alex Wimmers who was also rehabing there until he had a set-back the other day; he may require Tommy John surgery.
- Yesterday was Scott Diamond's 26th birthday
- This did not apparently deserve air time in any of the "major" press outlets, but there are a lot of hints that MLB team contraction might again be upon us
- Buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks? Not in a particular section of Target Field in particular games.
- Interesting to see few of the first articles in the local Twin Cities area correctly pointing fingers at the interim General Manager for the Twins' pitching issues. Previously, Terry Ryan and Ron Gardenhire and company have had teflon. Very refreshing to see a change in the local Minnesota press' attitudes. And as soon as I wrote that, here comes another this morning
- Interesting article about Rick Anderson's relationship with Fransisco Liriano.
- Also the "interim" tag remains for Terry Ryan, based on his words to Phil Mackey. Ryan realizes that he might lose his job and does not deserve to have the tag removed after this awful season
- If you were wondering what the Twins do in "all staff" meetings, here is your answer.
- If anything, this twitter profile picture change by a Twins' player (happened a while ago) speaks tons about how he feels about the organization and the way he has been treated, and I cannot say that I disagree much.
- Can anyone rationalize why something like this belongs to the official site of the Twins' AAA team and is anyone wondering why the Twins need to get the hey out of Rochester?
- Pelotero, the movie featuring Twins #1 prospect Miguel Sano and other Dominican players, was produced by current Boston Red Sox' skipper Bobby Valentine.
- Twins' tweet of the week is this one by Jake Proctor
- For the Kevin Slowey fans: His dad now is on twitter.
- Not Twins' related, but my home team, the Lehigh Valley IronPics wore this atrocity last week. Makes the blue custodian uniforms the Twins wore in Kansas City look "nice".
- The Twins' product of the week is the Minnesota Twins 1965 Cooperstown Legendary Victory Short Sleeve Tee Shirt, which is actually a killer deal at $14 at L and $13 at XL
The parting shot today is of the newest member of the Minnesota Twins Luis Perdomo who made his MLB Twins' debut last Saturday.