Random Tuesday Twins Thoughts and Tidbits
by, 08-14-2012 at 10:35 AM (617 Views)
Originally Published at The Tenth Inning Stretch
Here is this week's installment:
- Unfortunately Matt Capps' MRI did not show any improvement and he is not close to a rehab assingment yet. Probably threw his last pitch as a member of the Twins. And there might be some sugar coating but re-signing him and losing the 2 draft picks was one of the worst mistakes that Terry Ryan made. And there is no sugar coating for that.
- Congratulations to Oswaldo Arcia for named Eastern League player of the month for July and the Eastern League player of the week for the past week.
- Twins' RHP Scott Baker, who underwent Tommy John surgery earlier this season, is already playing catch. And he has been saying that he feels better than he felt for the last 2 years, which is really positive.
- Here are the most recent organization Transactions. Please notice the Carl Pavano shuttle. He is in the GCL and not in the FSL right now.
- Catcher Michael Quesada was suspended. He last played for the Elizabethton Twins (Rookie, Appalachian League.) He was suspended for 50 days because he tested positive for methylhexaneamine, a banned and dangerous diet supplement similar to ephedra
- Here is a great article on Cole De Vries.
- Lots of awards coming up, but Baseball America, named Twins' middle infielder Pedro Florimon, the "strongest infield arm" in the AAA International League.
- Former Twins' starting pitcher Jason Marquis took a no-hitter into the 7th and ended up with a two-hitter. Happy to see that Gardy and Andy helped him realize his full potential while with the Twins. In 13 starts with the Padres he has 3.66 ERA, 1.195 WHIP, 7.5 K/9 and 3.33 K/BB. Another success story for Andy and Gardy and Terry...
- The New Britain Rock Cats are celebrating their 30th year of existence in New Britain (after they moved from Bristol, CT) this season. Here is a great write up about the history of the Twins AA affiliate.
- Here is a great post by the Snappers' Director of Media relations, where she gets the Twins' A level players to give her the number one reason why they play baseball. Great stuff.
- Apparently the Minnesota Twins' ball cap, is preferred gear of a certrain hip hop artist
- Interim Twins' GM Terry Ryan, is related to the Republican Vice Presidential candidate
- In 5 games after his trade to the Twins, GCL Twins' Jeremias Pineda is hitting .273/.304/.273. He hit .421/.447/.534 before traded. Meanwhile, Danny Valencia, the other part of this trade was called up for Boston and has been hitless in 2 games.
- If you wonder what the Elizabethton Twins' players do in their days off, check this out. And the ones who are not doing that, are doing this
- Will a particular Twins' player have something going on that explains his offensive surge this season?
- Twins' product of the week is Minnesota Twins Throwback Gnome. The Twins need luck in any way possible, and this guy looks a bit like their manager as well...
The parting shot today is of Brian Dozier who has been lagging both on the field and with the stick lately. I hope that the Twins do not give up on him, but this has been a long season for him.