My wife asked me "Why do you 'have' to watch the game?"
by, 08-11-2013 at 11:13 PM (636 Views)
I got married almost 2 years ago. I had two things that were a must as we got married. 1. When the Twins are on, I am going to watch them. 2. I have to have a man cave. Those are pretty easy things to ask for in a marriage. My wife is not a sports fan at all. Her current, but traded favorite Twins player is still Nick Punto, her current favorite current Twin is Brian Dozier. I also said out loud about a week ago " I really hope we don't trade Perkins" Her response was " I love the Country Club Melt at Perkins." She asked me a question the other night that was frustrating. "Why do you 'have' to watch the game? All that really matters is the end result. All you do anyway is tell me they aren't even going to make the playoffs anyway. I casually said I love baseball and I want to watch what happens during the game. She didn't believe my answer and I instantly became frustrated and it had me thinking.
Sure the Twins are not going to make the playoffs, sure they aren't going to be .500, a lot of people hope they lose to get a better draft pick. I want them to win. I want to be able to cheer while I am driving home, or watching the game for the Twins to win the game. The great thing about baseball is there are soooo many intriguing parts to your favorite team, and baseball in general. My wife will never read this, but I just have to list the things that I want to watch the game for every time they are on. This is list includes where we are at today, the great thing is this list can change every week, every year.
1. I want to watch the drama unfold to see my favorite team win or lose I love watching human emotion, and I get into it as well.
2. The Twins have typically in my life played good defense, it is fun watching great defensive plays, even if it isn't a Twin making plays.
3. Pitching, Pitching, Catching: When I played baseball I would have considered myself a good pitcher all the way through Babe Ruth, I loved pitching more than anything else. I love watching pitchers set up hitters. I love the dynamic between the umpires and pitchers. The difference of the advantage for hitter vs pitcher on the 1-1 pitch, catchers make a huge difference in framing and Joe Mauer does a phenomenal job with the glove in where he catches and turns the glove. 1-2, is such a huge difference to 2-1, I really like watching good framing catchers work.
4. New players that we don't get to see, Albers starts tomorrow, he threw a great game vs KC, I am really curious if he can even throw up another quality start. I loved Greg Maddux growing up, Albers doesn't have a great fastball, if he can get ahead of hitters and pinpoint the baseball he has a chance.
5. Spoiler, I want to see the Twins play good baseball and play as if it means something. I still like the walk off hit and celebrating at home. That is exciting television, there isn't much more that I would like to watch then your home baseball team comeback for a walk off win.
6. Managerial calls, I love being the knowitallsitonthecouch manager. I like to criticize what I think we should do, or why Gardy, or any manager is doing what they are doing. Most of the time the manager is probably making the best call, but some things scratch your head and it allows you to yell into the TV why the F are they doing that?
Wife, I love baseball!! I can try to answer your question, but it is hard to answer the question when you don't understand how intricate baseball is if you are a fan of the sport itself. All I want to do is have the two non negotiables and I will be pretty happy.