5 Little known facts about the newest Twins' OF, Clete Thomas
by, 04-14-2012 at 01:58 PM (1444 Views)
Originally Published at The Tenth Inning Stretch
The Twins have announced that they have selected OF Clete Thomas, on waivers from Detroit. Clete Thomas bats left-handed and has played in all 3 outfield positions, but he has more experience in Right Field. After Darin Mastroianni, he is the second OF on waivers claimed by the Twins in 2012. He will take Scott Baker's 40-man roster spot and a corresponding move (either demoting Ben Revere who has options or waiving ineffective LHB Sean Burroughs) will be made before the Twins' game tomorrow, to clear a 25-man roster spot for Clete Thomas.
Here are five little known facts about Clete:
- He was drafted by the Twins on the 5th round of the 2003 draft but did not sign and went to Auburn University instead. Drafted by the Tigers on the 6th round of the 2005 draft as a Junior.
- His High School team won the State Championship (Florida) in 2002 when he was a senior at Mosley High School
- He was a member of the 1996 U.S. South Region Champs that advanced to the Little League World Series
- His first name is Micheal, but goes by his middle name Clete and has a brother, Alex, who is 18 years his junior
- He underwent Tommy John surgery; a rarity for position players; he is close friends with Denard Span and will be wearing number 36 with the Twins, recently vacated by Joe Nathan.