by, 05-04-2012 at 08:05 AM (985 Views)
Original post from North Dakota Twins Fan
Boy did it feel good to have a day to recover on Thursday after watching the Twins get no-hit by Jared Weaver on Wednesday night. This performance came on the heels of the Twins putting together a lack luster performance against Jerome Williams on Tuesday night. All together the Twins have been held hitless in 15 straight innings and now their focus will turn to the Seattle Mariners.
The Twins record sits at 6-18, the worst in Major League Baseball, and they have lost nine of their last ten games. Compiled with the terrible season last year, this bad start has some of the fan base up in arms. There are plenty of challenges facing the Twins but there are still lots of games left on the schedule for the team to try and figure out how to turn this mess around.
There are still some positives to find in the baseball world. The Twins have the number two pick in the MLB Draft that is a little over a month away. There are surprise division leaders in Washington, Cleveland, and Los Angeles and Matt Kemps looks like he could be on pace for one of the most historic seasons in history. Just last weekend, teenage phenom Bryce Harper made his debut for the Nationals and he has lived up to the hype in his first week in the big leagues.
Take some time to enjoy some of the great baseball related stories linked below and make sure to have a great weekend across Twins Territory.
- Since the first month of the season is over, Seth Stohs picked out the minor league players of the month for the Twins system. In a series of posts, he selected the best hitter, the top starting pitcher, and the number one relief arm.
- Speaking of Stohs, I was one of many guests on the Seth Speaks Weekly Minnesota Twins Podcast. We discussed a variety of Twins topics in the last 15 minutes of the show.
- Francisco Liriano might have taken some positives steps forward this week, but Parker Hageman wonders if it will continue.
- Twins Fan From Afar looks into Joe Mauer and his frequency (or none frequency) of hitting into 4-3 putouts.
- In a popular post from Twins Daily, John Bonnes breaks down the anatomy of a Mauer boo.
- Forbes magazine did a story on the top mascots in all of sports but TC was no where to be found in the top 10.
- Sean Burroughs seemed like he could be a feel good story for the Twins but his time with the club was short lived and Nick Nelson looks into why he was dropped.
- Seedlings to Stars put together their second version of the 2012 Mock Draft. Who will the Twins take at number two?
- Puckett's Pond asks the question, "Why do the Twins keep snubbing Anthony Slama?"
- One of the worst calls in baseball history was made this week when Jerry Hairston was called out on a play at first base. Here is the photo evidence:
- It turns out Mark Prior is still finding work in professional baseball. Just think the Twins could have picked him instead of Mauer.
- I don't know what would possess someone to wear a horse head to a baseball game and it turns out drinking beverages isn't easy when you do.
- When the Phillies signed Jim Thome and said he would play first base, it didn't sound like a good idea. He ended up on the DL this week with back problems.
- There was a David vs. Goliath battle when 6-foot-11 Jon Rauch pitched to 5-foot-5 Jose Altuve.
- The Cardinals saw the Twins were going to retire the number 10 for one of their best managers and they had to beat them to the punch.
- Identity fraud in Latin America has been a problem in the past and it continues to evolve to this day.
- The Twins might not play two series with the Brewers anymore as baseball shifts the Astros to the AL next year.
- MLB attendance is up so far this year but the Twins are going in the wrong direction.
My Weekly Rundown:
- Monday: What will the hype be like for Sano's debut?
- Tuesday: AL Central looking weak after first month
- Wednesday: VOTE: Best Twins offensive performance ever
- Thursday: Carroll, Span among best on defense
Video of the Week: A soccer club from England is mad at a group of Minnesota Twins fans for stealing their anthem. Fans of Leeds United are upset over the new renidition of the song that was put together by the Minnesota Culture Club. It is a collection of Skype videos hashed together with fans singing the lyrics to the Minnesota version of the song.