2012 MLB Mock Draft picks 1-10
With the MLB draft coming up I thought I would do a top 10 mock draft and see what people think.
1. Houston Astros- Byron Buxton OF HS Georgia
2. Minnesota Twins- Mark Appel SP Stanford
3. Seattle Mariners- Mike Zunino C Florida
4. Baltimore Orioles- Kyle Zimmer SP San Francisco
5. Kansas City Royals- Kevin Gausman SP LSU
6. Chicago Cubs- Carlos Correa SS Puerto Rico
7. San Diego Padres- Lucas Giolito SP HS California
8. Pittsburgh Pirates- Marcus Stroman SP Duke
9. Florida Marlins- Max Fried SP HS California
10. Colorado Rockies- Richie Shaffer 3b Clemson
Now for Twins analysis; There are 6 guys that are plausible in my mind with Buxton, Appel, Zunino, Zimmer, Gausman, and Giolito. However, I don't think Giolito will be the pick because of his injury and everything that we have heard Gausman is a step behind Appel and Zimmer for pitchers. So I believe it comes down to Buxton, Appel, Zunino, and Zimmer. My guess is it will come down to Buxton and Appel and the Twins will take whoever Houston doesn't take. That is of course if Houston doesn't take one of the other top 6 because this class is weak and no clear cut number 1 so the pick will be anyone. I am really hoping for Appel, but in my mind if he is there the Twins will take Buxton as he is the toolsy outfielder that the Twins love. He has a big upside, but he also has substantial risk. I think Appel or Zimmer are more of a sure thing even though neither is likely a top of the rotation starter. The bottom line is the Twins picked the wrong year to have the number 2 pick in the draft as if it was either the last 3 years they would have gotten a stud and next year looks alot better, but this class is not good. If you want true upside the pick should be Buxton who has a chance to be in the Justin Upton mold, but also a high chance he doesn't reach that potential. I will have another one next week and see if there any changes.