Has Minnesota become a bandwagon fan place?
And I need to preface that question. Back in the day when I used to live there (the golden years of the Twins - 87-92) the sports fandom in Minny as far as the four major sports were concerned went like this:
- Everyone loved the Vikings and that was it. Period. And Burnsie was cool
- Everyone loved the Twins (and they were the talk of the town - after Prince- because those titles)
- When the Wolves came it was more like a novelty (Pooh Richardson, Sidney Rice, Eric Musselman years).
- As far as the Northstars were concerned, most people at that point were more concerned about getting on their broomball shoes and having a decent game (until Dino Ciccarelli allegedly exposed himself and that was made into oofda big time news)
These days my take is that:
- Everyone still cares about the Vikings (but does not hate the Packers or the Bears as much as before)
- The Twins are kinda fun thing to watch especially with that nice park; and if they win the division is fine and good- unless they are not winning
- The Wolves are so good because they are winning - unless they are not winning
- The Wild are so good because they are winning - unless they are not winning
And I am talking about the average Minny person out there who considers themselves a "sports fan".
Am I too much off?