NBC/Hardball Talk releases top 150 free agents list
HardballTalk?s Top 150 Free Agents for 2014 | HardballTalk
Ranked roughly according to the value of the contracts the writer, Matthew Pouliot, thinks the players will get (he explains a bit in the intro.) Blurbs on the first 55, the rest in a straight list format.
* He speculates on likely interested teams for a number of these free agents, and only mentions the Twins in connection with Stephen Drew (#15 on list.)
I'm guessing he's not speculating on landing spots for pitchers as much because it's a bigger field with more spots open - more of a musical-chairs game.
* Jhonny Peralta ranks #27; since apparently his defensive numbers have shown him to be serviceable at SS, I'm coming around to him as an option to strengthen the infield.
* Josh Johnson ranks #31 and he speculates that a one year deal with $10M base and $8M potential incentives would make sense. That seems steep to me, but I wouldn't argue against the Twins doing it.
* Randy Messenger ranks #46 and Pouliot notes that offers from MLB would now compete with an offer from his Japanese team to retain him, so "some team may need to commit to a three-year deal in the hopes that he’s the new Colby Lewis or Ryan Vogelsong." I'd be wary of that.
* Mike Pelfrey ranks #79, surrounded in that range by Mark Reynolds, Scott Downs, Paul Konerko and Gavin Floyd.
What do you think?