Sure, why not, I don't have anything to do tomorrow except fight the masses at the train station and trek over to the gf's folks house for thanksgiving.
Why? Where has this $20 million been hinted to, discussed? The Twins have been linked to numerous players who have significant contract demands.
1. Consider about $20 million max to be spent, for some reason.
Why? What reason? They have been linked to significantly more players than position players (just a few catchers)
2. Divide that up between starting pitching and position players, for some reason.
Sarcasm, I get it.
3. From 1-2, players like Mike Pelfrey and Dioner Navarro seem like good gets, combining for up to half of the $20 million.
Or Garza, or Ubaldo, or Santana potentially, or Kazmir.
4. From 1-3, one of those two won't sign, so we have money to throw towards Ricky Nolasco in such a scenario.
What exactly are you stating at this point?
5. From 1-4, maybe two of those first guys sign . . . then we still have money for Arroyo.
Doubtful. Perhaps you shouldn't react so much to a random report. The Twins still have DeDuno, Correia, Gibson, Diamond, Albers, Hendriks and maybe even Worley who will prob be ahead of them in the potential internal SP "battle" Not to mention the Free agents this highly likely will sign.
6. Otherwise, we have Swarzak, Duensing, and newly acquired Kris Johnson to potentially fill 2/5 of the rotation.
It's not about saving money, its about bringing in a superior pitcher and signing him long term.
7. We could save some money by trading away great prospects for Homer Bailey. So there's that.
Who on earth is Chris Raul? Again with the sarcasm, Fryer is nothing more than org depth at this point, people are over-reacting about him being on the 40 man roster. Once they sign a ML catcher he most likely is gone anyways.
8. Meanwhile, Eric Fryer and Chris Raul are good candidates at C and 4th OF, just in case.
You can't protect every single player from the rule 5 draft, and its highly, highly, highly unlikely either of those two will get picked. I mean you are talking about two older prospects who aren't even in the top 40 in the whole org.
9. We had a very good 2013 bullpen so let's bank on it again and not protect A.J. Achter or Dakota Watts.
10. Thus, from 1-9, it's all good.