Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Early review

Early review

Overall, I have really enjoyed the site so far. If it's maintained and there's a steady flow of chatter in the forum & comment sections, I really think this site will be my one-stop shop for all Twins-related material.

A couple of things that I like are the simplicity of the site overall, sometimes people worry more about the look of a site than the content, and I feel like this site really makes the articles and discussion the focal point. Which isn't to say that the site doesn't look great, because it does, but that it's not hard to navigate around anything, even for people that aren't familiar with these kinds of sites. So kudos on that.

Also, I like the side profiles on each article. Again, I don't think that they overpower any of the content on that page, which makes it enjoyable.

Right now, the only real question/concern I have is whether or not there's a way to sync the articles up, so that even if they're posted in different areas of the site, that we're all taken to the same post. What I mean by that is that I've noticed when posts are shown in the "Top Stories" section, they aren't the same posts as the ones I click on in "From Our Community." The author profiles don't show up on the posts in "Top Stories" and comments don't sync up between the two... meaning comments may be on the article that was posted in "Top Stories" that won't show up on the post that is in "From Our Community." I feel like I worded that a little weird and probably made it sound a lot more confusing than it should be, so just let me know if I should clarify anything.

Besides that, I have really enjoyed the site overall.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts Josh. I'm glad you like the simplicity of the design, and the way the content is the focal point. That's definitely what we were going for.

Regarding your concern, I know exactly what you're saying and here's the deal: Stories that appear on the front page are classified as Articles whereas stories in the "From Our Community" area are classified as Blog Posts. Blog Posts are the original stories that anyone can post to the site, and moderators are able to take ones that stand out and promote them to Articles, which then appear on the front page.

I agree that it's a little cumbersome to have two versions of the same story, but that appears to be the nature of this platform. It's definitely something we'll look into. Thanks for bringing it up.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Do moderators have the power to close comment sections? Maybe when a blog is promoted to an article, you could close the comments in the blog version.

I like the idea of this site too. I do see potential for it becoming overwhelming to keep up with though. I like that there are icons that indicate which threads have unread comments, but there are two issues that I'm hoping have easy work-arounds. First, the icon on a thread doesn't change from "Unread" to "Read" when you click the back button - you must click the What's new button to refresh, which means scrolling back up through the page of comments. I discovered the Top button to circumvent the scrolling, and that helps, but if there's an even better solution, that would be cool. Second, it would be great if I could ignore a thread or at least mark it as read if I can tell by the title that I'm not interested in the discussion.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't like how there is only 10 posts/page. Should be at least 20. Not a big deal obviously, but just a thought.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    just a suggestion.

With the season under way, I think it would be cool in the VERY TOP colum to the far right of the Title Block, "Twins Dailey" we'd have a little box telling all of us last opponnent and outcome of game, next opponent and scheduled starting pitchers, with overall record Showing above that.

There should be a way to link that onto the webpage, just kind of like Twins.com on the top right of the page.

But all in all i really like the sight so far as well.
    Last edited by shs_59; 04-22-2012 at 08:10 AM.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There would be some value in most recent score, that day's game, and the next day's game to be found in an easily accessible way. I mean, I am almost neglecting the Twins team site entirely because of this site . . .

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 167 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shs_59 View Post
    just a suggestion.

With the season under way, I think it would be cool in the VERY TOP colum to the far right of the Title Block, "Twins Dailey" we'd have a little box telling all of us last opponnent and outcome of game, next opponent and schedules starting pitchers, with overall record Showing above that.

There should be a way to link that onto the webpage, just kind of like Twins.com on the top right of the page.

But all in all i really like the sight so far as well.
    Good suggestion. There is likely a pretty easy way to do that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    This has been a fun site, esp since the ESPN message boards went to heck. Nice format, good discussions. Well done.

Go into Settings at the top right of this page, then under My Settings on the left of that page find General Settings, scroll down that page about half way and you can change it to up to 40 posts per page.

Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    I don't like how there is only 10 posts/page. Should be at least 20. Not a big deal obviously, but just a thought.
    Go into Settings at the top right of this page, then under My Settings on the left of that page find General Settings, scroll down that page about half way and you can change it to up to 40 posts per page.