Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Organizational Depth Chart - Third Base

2. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-15-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 341 Times in 226 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is a return to New Britain to start out for Sano your gut feeling, or have you gotten some direction from the club? No one behind Sano in New Britain? Does that mean that Travis Harrison can move up quickly should he get off to a hot start in Ft Myers?

If the Twins decide to make a deal on Plouffe should he get off to a hot start, how close is Romero ready to man the position on an interim basis while waiting for Sano to arrive?

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know the Twins are playing Escobar at third, but it is his worse defensive position. He is about as good a third baseman as Plouffe is... I would love to see Escobar get an opportunity at the starting SS role over Florimon and push Florimon to the utility role.

Nate Hanson will likely start at New Britain as well withCorey Wimberly being the utility guy at Rochester. I can see them adding more minor leaguers at 3B because that is definitely a thin position in the upper minors.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

I agree with Seth. I think Sano will start (but hopefully not stay very long) at New Britain.
    The problem: aside from the power component of his game, the rest was inconsistent.

Yes, he had a great year overall, especially for his age and the enormous amount of pressure he's facing. But if I'm the Twins, I'd like to see more consistency.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Fan From Afar View Post
    I agree with Seth. I think Sano will start (but hopefully not stay very long) at New Britain.
    The problem: aside from the power component of his game, the rest was inconsistent.

Yes, he had a great year overall, especially for his age and the enormous amount of pressure he's facing. But if I'm the Twins, I'd like to see more consistency.
    Got to love that inconsistent .915 OPS

Sano's BB% was higher in New Britain than Fort Myers. The only difference between Fort Myers and New Britain was his contact, that dropped his BA about 90 points from Fort Myers. Root cause: BABIP at AA was .265 vs .397 in A+ . His career BABIP has been in the mid-high .300s, so that .265 is artificially low. Add 100 points to his AA BABIP, and you see that BA hitting mid .300s and that OPS climbing close to 1.100 (and home runs are not Balls In Play, btw.) Unlucky. Not inconsistent.
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post

Sano's BB% was higher in New Britain than Fort Myers. The only difference between Fort Myers and New Britain was his contact, that dropped his BA about 90 points from Fort Myers. Root cause: BABIP at AA was .265 vs .397 in A+ . His career BABIP has been in the mid-high .300s, so that .265 is artificially low. Add 100 points to his AA BABIP, and you see that BA hitting mid .300s and that OPS climbing close to 1.100 (and home runs are not Balls In Play, btw.) Unlucky. Not inconsistent.
    Thry, those #s are all correct. But it's also important to note that High A to AA is generally regarded as the largest jump in the minors. I'm not sure it's accurate to say that Sano was simply unlucky with the BAPIP.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    BABIP is more of a function of the pitch than "luck". It shouldn't be a surprise to learn that flat pitches are more soundly struck than pitches with considerable movement or those of a significantly different speed than the preceeding pitch. Ergo, better pitchers often change speed and movement more than lesser pitchers. The result is fewer base-hits.

Blog Entries
    It's my guess, but I also think it would be most beneficial for him. I agree that BABIP isn't completely luck. I think they have Sano start there, with Romero and/or others at Rochester. If Sano crushes and makes those little improvements at New Britain, he'll skip AAA. Or, when he moves up, it's not like he will fight for time with Romero.

Romero is a nice minor league player. he's not a big league regular, but he could be a solid replacement player for short-term.

Mauer?

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    It's my guess, but I also think it would be most beneficial for him. I agree that BABIP isn't completely luck. I think they have Sano start there, with Romero and/or others at Rochester. If Sano crushes and makes those little improvements at New Britain, he'll skip AAA. Or, when he moves up, it's not like he will fight for time with Romero.

Romero is a nice minor league player. he's not a big league regular, but he could be a solid replacement player for short-term.
    I realize Mauer has just made the FT move to 1st base, but why couldn't he be a potential solution at 3rd? There is no question it is hard to switch positions, however, in my opinion, Mauer would be very likely to do a very good/excellent job at 3rd. If Sano continues to struggle defensively isn't this an option? Move him to 1st and let one of the top athletes to ever come out of Minny move to 3rd.

11. This user likes Lefty74's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-15-2014)

Blog Entries
    Sano has turned into a solid, adequate defender at 3B. I like Mauer as much as anyway, but I don't think that would be a pretty transition at all (personal opinion).

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sano has turned into a solid, adequate defender at 3B. I like Mauer as much as anyway, but I don't think that would be a pretty transition at all (personal opinion).
    I agree with Seth here, I don't think Mauer to third would be as beneficial as Mauer to first. At first he'll be able to use his size and ability to scoop and get balls in the dirt from errant throws coming his way from across the diamond. Also, with Sano coming up, why move Mauer to 3rd only to have Sano give up defensive ability so soon?

I initially thought Mauer to 3rd was a good idea, but the more I looked at it, the more I thought about it, the more 1st base made sense. I wish he could have stayed behind the plate for another few seasons, but wishing and hoping don't get you too far.

14. This user likes Paul Pleiss's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-15-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm. I think Joe Torre from C to 3B qualifies as a seamless transition.....he won the NL MVP the year he made the switch! And he's nowhere near the athlete that Mauer is. I get the strong suspicion that Mauer would be better than the "solid and adequate" that Sano offers at 3B.

What's done is done, and I understand the Twins thinking on this, but the Sano elbow injury should at least give them pause to rethink their options.

16. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-15-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the info.

And the Travis Harrison 2014 potential career track? Assuming Sano moves up quickly or is out for TJ, there doesn't appear to be too much blocking him from reaching AA in-season provided he gets off to a good start at Ft Myers. Your thoughts?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Thanks for the info.

And the Travis Harrison 2014 potential career track? Assuming Sano moves up quickly or is out for TJ, there doesn't appear to be too much blocking him from reaching AA in-season provided he gets off to a good start at Ft Myers. Your thoughts?
    If he has a strong first half, he could move up in AA in the 2nd half. I personally think that he'll spend the full season in Fort Myers. Harrison is a very good prospect, but he's not in that Sano/Rosario class. He's got work to do defensively and offensively. Hopefully he comes out crushing, but i think Harrison is more of a one step at a time guy right now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Hmmm. I think Joe Torre from C to 3B qualifies as a seamless transition.....he won the NL MVP the year he made the switch! And he's nowhere near the athlete that Mauer is. I get the strong suspicion that Mauer would be better than the "solid and adequate" that Sano offers at 3B.

What's done is done, and I understand the Twins thinking on this, but the Sano elbow injury should at least give them pause to rethink their options.
    Of course none of us actually know what would happen. Torre and Johnny Bench had each played 3B in their past. It's not an easy position at all. It's reactionary. The play coming in is not easy for a guy who is 6-5. Sano's been a middle infielder his whole life and that play coming in is part of that. My opinion, and that's all it is, is that Sano will be much better at 3B than Mauer would be.

20. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-15-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    If he has a strong first half, he could move up in AA in the 2nd half. I personally think that he'll spend the full season in Fort Myers. Harrison is a very good prospect, but he's not in that Sano/Rosario class. He's got work to do defensively and offensively. Hopefully he comes out crushing, but i think Harrison is more of a one step at a time guy right now.
    Thanks for the insights.

Given that Harrison becomes a Rule 5 guy in 2015, and that Sano is the heir apparent for the next decade at 3B, I hope that they manage Harrison's potential asset value prudently. From the day they drafted him, I imprinted a Corey Koskie-type prospect impression of Harrison in my mind. It turns out, Koskie was a year at a time guy, too. Only, Harrison is 2 years younger while on the same track, with the same power potential, and learning the defensive ropes the same, hard way.

One more question for you Seth,

given that the promotion of Sano from New Britain is inevitable, and that Harrison won't be ready, how do the Twins fill the depth need at 3B there? Is there any chance that Mr Everywhere, Aderlin Mejia, could fill the second Third Baseman/UTIL role with the Rock Cats? He certainly had a nice and unexpected year at Ft Myers in 2013.

Blog Entries
    Mejia could be a utility man long-term, but my guess is they would rather he be playing every day rather than sitting behind Sano, Santana and Rosario.

Blog Entries
    Mejia could be a utility man long-term, but my guess is they would rather he be playing every day rather than sitting behind Sano, Santana and Rosario.
    Santana starts at Rochester. I cannot see him at AA any more. The guys who can play at SS at Rochester are utility types (yes including Beresford)
    -----

Liked 58 Times in 41 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm uneducated as far as minor league skill/talent goes. My assumption is that higher level equals more skill, both offensive and defensive. Therefore, I would assume that Sano's drop in Babip would be more due to improved defense level over level than luck. Is that not the case? Is the threshold for defensive prowess between AA and AAA?

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Santana starts at Rochester. I cannot see him at AA any more. The guys who can play at SS at Rochester are utility types (yes including Beresford)

You've now set the table for a rather interesting article from Seth regarding the Twins SS depth chart, methinks. Anxiously anticipating it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast