Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The BA Twins top ten prospect list is out.

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries

The BA Twins top ten prospect list is out.

Will be released at their web site tomorrow, but it is out in the print edition. Here it is:

1.Byron Buxton
    2.Miguel Sano
    3.Alex Meyer
    4.Kohl Stewart
    5.J.O. Berrios
    6.Eddie Rosario
    7.Lewis Thorpe
    8.Trevor May
    9.Danny Santana
    10.Jorge Polanco

Interesting list in many respects... Cannot really argue about the top 4 (other than flipping a couple of positions,) but some of the rest are really interesting. I think that this is a good sign and speaks to the depth of prospects in the organization. There are about 20 players who made different top ten lists.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 793 Times in 429 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They're certainly bullish on Thorpe and Berrios.

Also, no Kepler.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's interesting to note that BA makes their lists based in large part on what they hear from the actual organization. As such, their lists often reflect how the organization feels about their prospects, in contrast to BP which scouts the prospects on their own.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    They're certainly bullish on Thorpe and Berrios.

Also, no Kepler.
    No Kepler is not much of a surprise. Some people are really high on Thorpe so I get that; Berrios also is in most top 10 lists. Danny Santana surprises me. I cannot see him in many Twins' top ten lists.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    BA has always loved the shortstops. Santana seems high but surely it's due to the position scarcity. Interesting that May is back up to 8th. I still think he can make the leap, but I haven't seen him this high in awhile.

Liked 204 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BA has always loved Santana. I think I have him #15. I can't argue with the Top 7, though I have Polanco in with those guys. May is a little high, and Santana is a little high. But, of course any of us is going to disagree a little bit with any list that isn't the exact same as our own. Ha! May has a chance. He's got the stuff. Santana certainly has the tools. No question. Pinto not being in there is a bit surprising.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 793 Times in 429 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    No Kepler is not much of a surprise. Some people are really high on Thorpe so I get that; Berrios also is in most top 10 lists. Danny Santana surprises me. I cannot see him in many Twins' top ten lists.
    No, Kepler isn't a huge surprise, just noting that he's not on the list.

Berrios is definitely a top ten prospect, I was merely surprised that they had him at #5, right behind Stewart.

Then again, with the Rosario suspension, maybe that isn't such a surprise.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    When's the last time the Twins had 5 arms in the Top 10? It's encouraging that BA still thinks highly of May, especially in context of our stacked system.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    It's interesting to note that BA makes their lists based in large part on what they hear from the actual organization. As such, their lists often reflect how the organization feels about their prospects, in contrast to BP which scouts the prospects on their own.
    b.a. writers visit the leagues they write about and talk to managers and staff throughout a league in the summer and fall. they weight that with their own impressions when doing an analysis.

for the top 30's they do in the prospect handbook, they need to talk to an org to see what kind of progress a guy has made in the offseason, especially for a rookie baller. the league top prospects lists that come out in the fall wouldn't include players ranked in the bottom half of those org lists, so they need to be more reliant on an org's opinion because of the depth of their analysis. i don't think b.p. does a top 30 but if they did, they'd likely have to follow the same process.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    If, as posted, the ranking is in large part from the organization (Twins), the ranking for May could be inflated due to input from the Twins.

Could the omission of Pinto be because he is already deemed "Major League" and thus no longer a "prospect"?

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mike Berardino handles the Twins for BA now and, as a former BA staffer, probably got as much or more input from other sources as the rest of the guys putting lists together. We are well aware that Mike will turn every stone over. Mike will host the BA Twins chat tomorrow afternoon.

Kepler will be #11 in the top 30.

Liked 204 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    If, as posted, the ranking is in large part from the organization (Twins), the ranking for May could be inflated due to input from the Twins.

Could the omission of Pinto be because he is already deemed "Major League" and thus no longer a "prospect"?
    The BA guys talk to many in the Twins organization and other organizations about the players. They've put in their time, and then they come up with their own list.

Their rules are the same as mine for what a "prospect" is, and that's 130 AB for a hitter or 50 IP for a pitcher. Pinto is under that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 63 Times in 42 Posts
    I like the May ranking - I think a lot of us are under rating him. He's insanely durable - 150ip the last three years - and he has some ability to miss bats. His control can get a bit wonky but he still has #3 upside and his floor is pretty safe - strong bullpen arm. I like him a lot and think he'll end up being a better MLer than minor leaguer.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, I should clarify what I said earlier. BA talks to the organization about the players and uses that to rank the players, not to write about them. They do form their own impressions and they do go look at them. I know for a fact that I've heard John Manuel say that they largely rank the prospects based on how they feel the organization feels about the players.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Santana gets more love than I can figure out.
    He has not had an OPS of .740 or greater since he was a 17 year old in rookie ball.

I know batting isn't everything, especially when speaking of a SS.
    Still, his MiLB numbers are not that eye-popping.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
    Pinto is a noteworthy omission. I'm curious why they are down on him. It must be age or defense related?

Additionally, I wonder how much this reflects how the Twins feel about Pinto, if BA weights their ranking based on organizational opinion as Brad suggested. Perhaps the Twins aren't nearly as high on Pinto as I thought.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    I am not sure I buy the 'organization opinion' for ranking. Maybe for whom to include in the top 30... but not the order of the top 10.

If the team-specific rankings (i.e. top 10) are driven by the organization's opinions, but the BA top-100 is all writer-driven, we should be able to find multiple examples where the numbers don't match up... right?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Baseball America had Adam Brett Walker II as the #31 ranked prospect in last years handbook. He was only listed if you received the extra prospect edition (Top 30 + 1). I told folks last year that Adam Brett Walker was my breakout prospect and he did nothing to disappoint. (Midwest League / Topps MVP - 2nd in MiLB in RBIs - 27 HRs - and yes only a .319 OBP - but 2nd in Midwest League & 1st in Cedar Rapids in Runs scored). That being said: If (like all prospects) - he can continue to cut his K rate (30% in 2012 to 20% in 2013) and improve his BB rate - he might have a chance to move up on their ranking list.

For the record - I see Walker improving again - He is my BREAKOUT player of the year again for 2014. For those who disagree - Name another player who had 25+ HRs and struck out with a K rate less than 20% (maybe a handful). For his production (27 HRs & 109 RBIs) he does not strike out too much IMO. I stand to say that his K rate is rather rare for that production. I just know one thing - HE WINS - "The intangible we need in MN" - Can't wait to see where he ranks in extended ranking edition.
    Last edited by lightfoot789; 01-14-2014 at 06:05 PM.

19. These 2 users like lightfoot789's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-15-2014), johnnydakota (01-15-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    Gotta be excited about 5 pitchers on the list, with so many other pitching prospects just off the list (Jorge Felix, Stephen Gonsalves). This is going to be fun.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would take our 11-15 against any team's:
    Rosario-Gonsalves-Pinto-Kepler-Jorge

22. This user likes AM.'s post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Siehbiscuit (01-15-2014)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast