Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

View Poll Results: Who will have a preposterously good SSS-fueled ST and go north?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sean Gilmartin

2 4.55%
  • Matt Hoffman

0 0%
  • Deolis Guerra

6 13.64%
  • Yohan Pino

2 4.55%
  • James Beresford

4 9.09%
  • Dan Rohlfing

0 0%
  • Doug Bernier

3 6.82%
  • Deibinson Romero

9 20.45%
  • Brandon Waring

0 0%
  • Other

18 40.91%

Thread: Who will have a preposterously good ST and earn a trip north this year?

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries

Who will have a preposterously good ST and earn a trip north this year?

Aaron Hicks, Luke Hughes, Brian Buscher, Randy Ruiz, Brian Bass, Willie Eyre... The Twins have a history of bringing scrubs north based on strong ST performances. Players who, sometimes, faceplant when the regular season starts. Who will it be this year?

2. This user likes Willihammer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-15-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    I think Duensing gets traded and Edgar Ibarra gets a long look for the pen though I like Matt Hoffamn's chances too.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,925 Times in 1,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Aaron Hicks, Luke Hughes, Brian Buscher, Randy Ruiz, Brian Bass, Willie Eyre... The Twins have a history of bringing scrubs north based on strong ST performances. Players who, sometimes, faceplant when the regular season starts. Who will it be this year?
    I'd hardly call Hicks a scrub. And if you recall, the Twins really didn't have much choice to bring him north given how either everyone else played or the condition they were in physically. And given how well he did and that he was a highly ranked Twins prospect, they took a chance. I just don't put Hicks in with the rest of the group you named.

5. This user likes ChiTownTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-15-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Tom Powers thinks it will be Romero; I'd like it to be Kyle Gibson.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    I don't think he'll have a preposterously good ST, but I predict Kris Johnson travels north.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The obvious name missing (and perhaps what could lead to a runaway win by "other") is Byron Buxton. He's certainly not likely to break camp with the big club, but when you think of potential for having a "preposterously good SSS-fueled ST," he's more likely than most. Especially true if the Twins happen to have any sort of injury issues among their outfield corps.

I cast my sentimental favorite pick for Beresford, though. Not because I expect him to have a "preposterously good" spring training, but simply because I believe he's the best defensive infielder in the organization (due respect to Florimon) and if the Twins want someone on the bench for late inning defense, he may be the best choice.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    It's a bit unfair to call Aaron Hicks a scrub.

Or really unfair, actually.

10. These 3 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (01-15-2014), glunn (01-15-2014), USAFChief (01-16-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    I voted "Other"--because "Nobody" wasn't a choice.

12. This user likes Kwak's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-15-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    I think Hicks will kill it again and earn the first crack at the starting gig.
    To much logjam in the pen and back end of the rotation for any of those pitchers to make it IMO.

14. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-15-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I think Hicks will kill it again and earn the first crack at the starting gig.
    To much logjam in the pen and back end of the rotation for any of those pitchers to make it IMO.
    God, I hope not. Hicks hasn't had success anywhere since the 2012 season. Let the kid get his feet under him in the minors before exposing him to MLB pitching again. Please.

16. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-15-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    [QUOTE=Jim Crikket;191096]The obvious name missing (and perhaps what could lead to a runaway win by "other") is Byron Buxton. He's certainly not likely to break camp with the big club, but when you think of potential for having a "preposterously good SSS-fueled ST," he's more likely than most. Especially true if the Twins happen to have any sort of injury issues among their outfield corps.

I think he may have preposterously good ST but not because of a SSS, but because he is a "preposterously good" player. I know he is too young and inexperienced, but facing pitchers that are still getting the feel for their pitches, he can do a lot of damage.
    Last edited by adjacent; 01-15-2014 at 10:59 AM. Reason: misspelling

18. This user likes adjacent's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-15-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    Given the logjam with out of options starters, I'm not sure any of these pitchers make it unless there is a wide array of injuries.

I vote Bartlett makes it over Escobar, however.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bartlett, Hicks, Ramirez, Guerra, Fryer
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    God, I hope not. Hicks hasn't had success anywhere since the 2012 season. Let the kid get his feet under him in the minors before exposing him to MLB pitching again. Please.
    This. The Twins can't afford to have another setback with Hicks as last year was pretty much wasted. Two wasted years at this stage in his career could be big trouble. Pretty much the poster child for not rushing prospects not named Mike Trout.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bartlett, Hicks, Ramirez, Guerra, Fryer
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Hicks, Tonkin..... Sano

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    The obvious name missing (and perhaps what could lead to a runaway win by "other") is Byron Buxton.
    There is no way that Buxton is coming up North. But there are 2 obvious names missing:

- Alex Meyer
    - Miguel Sano

those guys could come up North if things fall their way. Even Ryan said that Meyer could potentially win a spot. And these 2 guys will make the Twins a better team.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

25. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

pierre75275 (01-15-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Guerra could get a chance this year but only if Ryan makes some trades. But I would love it if Hicks could step up and make the club and be not terrible at the plate batting 8th or 9th and playing good D.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 172 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think there's about 3 or 4 who could either be primed, or sort of come out of "nowhere", so to speak.

I have high hopes for Hicks to take what he learned last year and make a move. I think Tonkin is ready to roll and will foce his way in to the bullpen, barring anyone else injured, at the expense of Pressly more than likely.

If anything happens to Suzuki or Pinto to disappoint or some injury factor, Fryer could surprise. Not overly high on him, but in his milb past he has shown a better ability to make contact and work a count than he did last season in AAA. Is he maybe ready to improve this season?

And Twin Cities scribe Powers recently brought up a very interesting name that has had me intrigued for some time in Deibinson Romero. Now, all bets are probably off if the Twins still sign another veteran utility guy like Tucker, Baker, Reynolds or the such. Or a sudden return o some form of Bartlett. But a few years ago Romero looked like a pretty decent prospect at 3B, some 1B, with decent hitting and power. He always maintained a pretty good OB% as well. He seemed to find himself again in 2012, and if it wasn't for his late arrival to the states in 2013, a solid year might have been even better.

28. This user likes DocBauer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-15-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Keep a Bullpen eye on Lester Oliveros.