Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clayton Kershaw

Liked 90 Times in 36 Posts

Clayton Kershaw

7 years, $215 million.

That's right, over $30 million per season.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/s...th-215-million

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,604 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeesh. I knew there was no way he was leaving the Dodgers but I didn't expect his yearly salary to surpass $30m.

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Observations:

- salaries generally go up, not down.

- desirable free agents don't often make it to free agency

Lesson: Putting off signing needed free agents because there'll be better options next year has its own set of risks.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

4. These 5 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (01-16-2014), johnnydakota (01-18-2014), mike wants wins (01-17-2014), mnfireman (01-15-2014), Willihammer (01-22-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Kershaw wanted 10 years at $30M per. To go under 10, he got a hefty raise in the per. Incredible deal, but if there's one pitcher in all of baseball that would get this contract, he'd be the guy.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Strange, but I thought this was significantly less than I thought he would get. I thought he'd get another 3-4 years, meaning another $90-120 million.

7. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jm3319 (01-15-2014)

Surprised me a little too, I thought he'd get closer to 10 years, $300 million. Barring injury, I would guess there is a really good chance that he becomes a free agent or gets an extension in 5 years.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 114 Times in 68 Posts
    I remember the shock and outrage when Puck pioneered the 3 million per season contract.

Tickets were a lot cheaper back then too, less than $10 to get in.

Coincidence?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This extension is akin to the Mauer one for the Twins and at a similar $ level and it does not include any old age years for the Dodgers. 25-32 age seasons. Slam dung for them methinks...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 114 Times in 68 Posts
    Slam dung for Kershaw - not for fans wanting to watch the game. The owners pass 100% of that mad money on the backs of the fans.

/end old fogie rant/

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    Slam dung for Kershaw - not for fans wanting to watch the game. The owners pass 100% of that mad money on the backs of the fans.

/end old fogie rant/
    The Dodgers have TV money coming out of their ears. This contract could be paid for 100% multiple times over even if the Dodgers decided to LOWER ticket prices. Yes ticket prices have gone up, but salary inflation is much more due to other sources of income for teams other than tickets.

13. This user likes jm3319's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (01-16-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Kershaw wanted 10 years at $30M per. To go under 10, he got a hefty raise in the per. Incredible deal, but if there's one pitcher in all of baseball that would get this contract, he'd be the guy.
    He got an additional $714K per year, not exactly a hefty raise (in ridiculous baseball money terms). It's basically an extra $5 million thrown in from the Dodgers for not having to risk 10 years on the guy. Great deal for both sides.

Fun Fact: This works out to about 75 cents per heartbeat for Kershaw for the next 7 years. (according to Twitter)
    Last edited by jm3319; 01-15-2014 at 10:13 PM.

15. This user likes jm3319's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gil4 (01-15-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Well I guess the Twins have to rewrite their plans for next year's free agents now...

Maybe they will make a push for Garza.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Dodgets didn't learn from signing other bad long term contracts such as Park and Brown and Jason Schmitt.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thetank View Post
    The Dodgets didn't learn from signing other bad long term contracts such as Park and Brown and Jason Schmitt.
    Kevin Brown was 34 years old when he was signed by the Dodgers.

Chan Ho Park didn't sign a big contract with the Dodgers. He came through their system.

Jason Schmidt was also in his mid 30s when he signed.

Darren Dreifort, on the other hand... That contract was inexplicable. Nothing like Kershaw, though.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's a retarded amount of money.

It's not due to ticket prices, directly. I forget who wrote a great article on why ticket prices have gone up. Maybe it was Nate Silver or Jonah Keri.

If anyone has some articles, research, insight on that...I'd love a gander.

But yea, this is a retarded lump of money, but I think the Dodgers got the better deal. A long term contract at 25. Compare that to what these other jokers at 29/30 are getting. Look at Verlander even, his contract, very similar, was at age 30, not 25.

Also, what does Tanaka get now, who also happens to be at age 25. (?)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries

Dodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Kevin Brown was 34 years old when he was signed by the Dodgers.

Chan Ho Park didn't sign a big contract with the Dodgers. He came through their system.

Jason Schmidt was also in his mid 30s when he signed.

Darren Dreifort, on the other hand... That contract was inexplicable. Nothing like Kershaw, though.
    Dodgers have bad contracts in Matt Kemp, Crawford and likely Ethier. Adrian Gonzales wasn't that great last year as well. They could get burned here.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    The thing that scares me about this is that if Sano, Buxton and some pitcher of ours become all stars then how are we going to keep these guys around at 30 Mill per year? Just those three would be 90 Mil at those prices. If that ends up the going rate 6 years from now.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Dodgers have bad contracts in Matt Kemp, Crawford and likely Ethier. Adrian Gonzales wasn't that great last year as well. They could get burned here.
    Sure, any premium contract has the risk of going disastrously wrong for the signing team.

But a 25 year old Kershaw on a seven year deal is near the top of "risky" contracts that I'd snatch up in a heartbeat. It's less risk and higher potential performance than, say, Justin Verlander's contract.

23. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (01-20-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kershaw signs a contract that sets him up for life at age 25. He HAD to jump at it.

2 years from now they probably couldn't touch him for $30M per year if he keeps pitching like he's been pitching. And it's not a 10 or 12 year contract. I suspect Boras would have been looking at 10 years as a minimum.

While this amount of money is well beyond any reality in my world, I think it was a good signing by the Dodgers.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 382 Times in 234 Posts
    They can afford to get burned. For the Dodgers, only having 25 roster spots is more of a hinderance than the payroll. I'm sure they have taken into consideration the possibilities that these guys could go bust, the reward clearly outweighs the risk in thier mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast