Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Twins Organizational Depth Chart - Middle Infielders

It's nice to see he got off to a solid start. I will be rooting for him.
    I need to have more trust in Twins Daily readers to pick up on my dumb jokes.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
    clutterheart mentions that Santana is the best prospect in house for a decent homegrown shortstop from the Twins system - is that necessarily true? How about Polanco and/or Goodrum or someone else I have forgotten to mention.

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Pimenter?
    Typo. sorry about that
    Candido PimenteL . He is still with the organization, correct?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    clutterheart mentions that Santana is the best prospect in house for a decent homegrown shortstop from the Twins system - is that necessarily true? How about Polanco and/or Goodrum or someone else I have forgotten to mention.
    I think that Polanco is a much better prospect than Santana because he is much better with the stick. He has really great pitch selectivity at the plate for a teenager. He does not have as much range as Santana but he is more sure-handed with the glove. Santana has been pretty much at the Florimon/Cristian Guzman mold, Polanco is more at the Jeter mold (if that makes sense; this does not mean that Santana will no be better than Florimon or Guzman or that Polanco will come any close to Jeter. Just indicating different types of players.) Goodrum is ok with the glove, but he looks like a corner OF/IF to me. Levi Michael might come out of nowhere and surprise. Who knows.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In looking over Seth's projection of where the infielders may start the season, I do wonder a bit about Santana. He probably should/could/might be at AAA. Despite all his tools it doesn't seem like the Twins consider him at all ready for the majors, but that could change with some consistency with the glove. I also kind of wonder if the Twins wouldn't like to put Michael at SS at AA to see what he could do there, and maybe find out if there is any chance of him becoming a useful big league player.

The idea of Polanco becoming a big league SS as a regular seems a bit optimistic. When he was basically a full time 2nd baseman in low A ball, it doesn't seem like the Twins really view him as a future major league SS. I wish I could of seen Goodrum play SS, views of his suitability for that position seem all over the place. Hearing about Ryan Walker makes me want to root for him, though I kind of doubt if he is a real prospect.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 289 Times in 186 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would be shocked if they send Santana back to New Britain. Also, comparing Santana to Polanco is difficult. If Polanco can stay at short, he's the better prospect. But most scouts say he doesn't have the arm. Because true shortstops are the rarest of ball players, I'd have to rate Santana above Polanco, slightly.

BTW Thrylos, I see what you did ther: Comparing Santana to Florimon and Polanco to Jeter. Both comparisons are quite unfair, IMHO.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I would be shocked if they send Santana back to New Britain. Also, comparing Santana to Polanco is difficult. If Polanco can stay at short, he's the better prospect. But most scouts say he doesn't have the arm. Because true shortstops are the rarest of ball players, I'd have to rate Santana above Polanco, slightly.

BTW Thrylos, I see what you did ther: Comparing Santana to Florimon and Polanco to Jeter. Both comparisons are quite unfair, IMHO.

There's nothing really wrong with any of this, though I think Polanco is the better prospect, even though I think he is a 2nd baseman rather than a shortstop. Polanco is farther away, but he appears to have a chance to be top of the order hitter while likely playing darn good defense at 2nd. Santana, if he is better than a utility guy, will likely never be a great shortstop, despite the range and arm. The bat will keep him in the 9 hole.

As you say, comparisions are tricky, but I like Polanco better at this point.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    There's nothing really wrong with any of this, though I think Polanco is the better prospect, even though I think he is a 2nd baseman rather than a shortstop. Polanco is farther away, but he appears to have a chance to be top of the order hitter while likely playing darn good defense at 2nd. Santana, if he is better than a utility guy, will likely never be a great shortstop, despite the range and arm. The bat will keep him in the 9 hole.

As you say, comparisions are tricky, but I like Polanco better at this point.
    The age old question: Who to play? The better hitter? or The better fielder? The debate continues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12