Thread: Blake Martin

Blake Martin

ph_543494.jpg

Position: LH Reliever
    Born: Gadsden, AL
    College: LSU
    Drafted: 17th round 2008
    Currently with the Rock Cats

A strikeout pitcher, averaged a strikeout per inning in the lower levels and has 7 k's in 6.2 innings this year. A 2.70 era and .217 opponent batting average are also very good, and his challenge will be to lower the 4 walks that he has given up. Once that is ironed out I expect that he'll move up to Rochester.

4/27/12: hasn't pitched since this string was started, so I added the picture. Over the weekend I'm sure.
    Last edited by ssp833; 04-27-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: restless

As tempting as it is to just ignore his performance tonight it is worth noting because it shows the odd nature of baseball stats. A walk, hit and two earned runs in 1/3 of an inning and he was credited with a hold.

Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hope you don't mind me tossing this here, but here is a picture of Blake (#13) this Spring Training with Brett Jacobson (#37) warming up in the pen, so we know what these guys look like other than mugshots

-----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Blake has been strong of late...

Since the April 27 blowup, Blake Martin has made three appearances totalling 3 and one third innings. In those outings he has not given up a run, struck out 5, and allowed just one hit. Two walks shows that his command is still troubling him, but the end result of these outings is good.

Been a quiet week for Blake. He has thrown 2 and a third in his last two outings without giving up a run and striking out 3. That strikeout rate remains good. More to come as it happens.

Almost 6 innings in the past two weeks, and only one earned run, dropping his ERA to an excellent 2.50. He struck out 4 in those six innings which is a couple less than optimal, but only walked two and gave up no dingers. I know one needs to be careful in looking at wins, but I will certainly note that he won two of the outings. Decent couple of weeks.

I no sooner post an update and Seth posts his relievers of month for May, and Blake is number 6! Seth makes the same point regarding the control issue, but also notes the 10 strikeouts in 11 innings.