The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: A Snapshot of Twins Payroll

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    I agree with almost all of it. I like building a team rather than buying one and I like seeing the team going in the right direction. The issue I have is with this sentence, "almost every position on the field is either occupied by a promising young talent or will be soon enough". The most glairing position lacking in this description is shortstop. I have been wrong before but I don't see Florimon as the short term, mid term or long term answer. There is a free agent out there that would fit the short and midterm piece and probably without breaking the budget, now or later. Stephen Drew would be an improvement that would solidify the infield.

Eighty five million dollars is a whole lot of dough, any way you look at it. I do not require they spend big but I hope they spend smart.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Why would they add players next year if "pretty much every position is either occupied by a promising young talent or will be soon enough"?

Why sign Pelfrey if you are not trying to contend this year? Doesn't he just block Gibson or Worley or someone else?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,606 Times in 833 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Why sign Pelfrey if you are not trying to contend this year? Doesn't he just block Gibson or Worley or someone else?
    Only if you believe them to be MLB talent.

I don't mind the rotation "situation" right now... The past three years, the Twins have lacked both quality and depth in the rotation. This offseason, Ryan did a decent job of shoring up both the talent and depth deficit.

Worley and Gibson will get their shots some time this season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    I agree with almost all of it. I like building a team rather than buying one and I like seeing the team going in the right direction. The issue I have is with this sentence, "almost every position on the field is either occupied by a promising young talent or will be soon enough". The most glairing position lacking in this description is shortstop. I have been wrong before but I don't see Florimon as the short term, mid term or long term answer. There is a free agent out there that would fit the short and midterm piece and probably without breaking the budget, now or later. Stephen Drew would be an improvement that would solidify the infield.
    I agree. It is dissapointing to see payroll basically where it was last year with all this excess revenue from the new TV deal, Target field, and the all star game. SS and DH are two positions where signing a good player could add 2-3 wins for each position in my opinion (and not block prospects). After moving Doumit, the only real DH option we have is Kubel, who had a .610 OPS last year. We basically made no financial investment there and are hoping he returns to form. If you look hard enough, you can find an aging corner OF or 1B that can convert to DH and hit for you without a huge investment. Think Vlad Guerrero or Frank Thomas a few years ago.
    Last edited by tobi0040; 01-20-2014 at 10:53 AM.

Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    The most glairing position lacking in this description is shortstop. I have been wrong before but I don't see Florimon as the short term, mid term or long term answer. There is a free agent out there that would fit the short and midterm piece and probably without breaking the budget, now or later. Stephen Drew would be an improvement that would solidify the infield.
    Shortstop is the one position that lacks a real clear plan, but is Drew (the only quality free agent available at the position) enough of an upgrade to justify the money and draft pick? You could argue yes, but there's a pretty good argument for no.

Moreover, I think the Twins view Danny Santana right now as next in line at short, and he'll probably be in Triple-A this year.

Why would they add players next year if "pretty much every position is either occupied by a promising young talent or will be soon enough"?

They'll know a lot more about several of these young players a year from now. And they will hopefully be in better position to make meaningful impact additions after what we can only hope is an improved season.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Worley and Gibson will get their shots some time this season.

And hopefully/probably Meyer at some point as well, even if a short term, pushing innings limit but getting aquainted with the major leagues and auditioning for next season, term.

May a possibility, but Meyer probably more of a sure thing for this season. Big, big year for May. Every previous season in his milb career he's shown improvement when repeating a season, or a partial season. Even last year, while the improvements might have been minimal, there was still improvement. And if reports are correct, he pitched his best at the end of the year, which is a very positive sign I feel.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Moreover, I think the Twins view Danny Santana right now as next in line at short, and he'll probably be in Triple-A this year.
    [/COLOR]
    I would not hold my breath regarding Danny Santana at SS. Terry Ryan mentioned him as a dark horse candidate this year, but let's look at his defensive numbers:

2011 - 27 errors in 78 games at short
    2012 - 18 errors in 85 games at short
    2013 - 32 errors in 125 games at short (23 years old)

Terry seems to treasure defense at SS, I don't know if he is going to hand it to a guy with this many errors. At this rate he would have 39 errors in 155 games. His .719 OPS is probably not enough offense to overlook the defense.

Plouffe had fewer errors at SS and was moved. The last major reps he had at SS were:

2009: 26 errors in 111 games
    2010: 11 errors in 92 games

Admittedly, Plouffe's range could have been a factor (I am not sure how they compare). But to move the one guy and think the other is the answer at SS seems odd.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=santan001dan

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=plouff001tre

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    "I can see the logic in holding off on signing more players to supplement that unit; simply put, almost every position on the field is either occupied by a promising young talent or will be soon enough. Spending big money on stopgaps might make sense for a contender, but not for a team coming off a third straight 90-loss campaign."

This comment grossly over-estimates the talent level of this current roster and minor league system. Besides Arcia there isn't one "promising young talent" on the current roster. I wouldn't spend money on a 3rd baseman or center fielder (Sano, Buxton) but every other position on the diamond could use upgrades. The Twins are probably Bottom 5 at catcher and shortstop and have NOTHING in the minors on the horizon.

And not spending money is exactly how a team loses 90+ games three straight years. Statements like that aren't close to factual. Its just like when teams say, "We don't want to make a trade to make a trade" to justify doing nothing to improve a horrible product. That is just nonsense. Successful organizations (not mater how many 90 loss seasons in a row they've had) improve their team by all available avenues, the draft, free agency, and trades. If the team isn't using all three and management is saying they are trying to win, they are flat out lying to you.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by savvyspy View Post
    " Successful organizations (not mater how many 90 loss seasons in a row they've had) improve their team by all available avenues, the draft, free agency, and trades. If the team isn't using all three and management is saying they are trying to win, they are flat out lying to you.
    I completely agree. I think signing Drew (SS) and Corey Hart (DH) would have brought payroll to $100M. The team would still make money and those two could have been the difference between 74-75 wins and 79-80 wins. Next year we are basically a .500 team and we can sell that along with Sano, Buxton, and Mayer as to why a good free agent would want to sign here.

Most of the free agent position player's signed elsewhere for various reasons. That leaves trades as a possible solution. Whenever Ryan calls someone, they always want Sano or Buxton. The one possible chip they had and were willing to part with was Rosario. And we all know what happened there. He won't be a viable prospect again until he proves he's able to stay on the field for an extended period of time. We have players coming up that deserve
    a chance. I'm told that Hicks was playing at a high level by the time Rochester entered the playoffs. I'm also told that Worley should not be ignored and written off. He has proven himself in the National League in the past and one year where he was recovering from arm surgery to begin with should not erase him from everyone's memory. Nobody talks about Dozier anymore because he turned a corner last year. Nobody gave him a chance of doing that last year at this time. We have other players that are capable of turning the corner. It costs alot of money to develop players and they shouldn't be thrown away until it's obvious they can't cut it. Alot of position players need 1200-1500 at bats before you can make a decision. How many at bats has Florimon gotten? This is going to be another transition year but it will be more promising because good teams start with pitching. If you don't have pitching, it makes everything that much worse.

Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by savvyspy View Post
    The Twins are probably Bottom 5 at catcher and shortstop and have NOTHING in the minors on the horizon.
    Pinto?? You might not be a believer but saying they have NOTHING on the horizon is way too harsh.

In the OF, you've got Buxton, Arcia, Hicks and possibly Rosario. In the infield, you've got Dozier, Sano, Santana. All those guys are Double-A and above, all cost controlled. None of them are locks to produce (some much less so than others) but I'm fine with waiting a year to see how things shake out before making large investments at any particular position. As I mentioned in the article, they are also leaving themselves equipped to take on salary in a midseason trade if any position emerges as a clear weakness with no palatable internal answer.

Quote Originally Posted by savvyspy
    And not spending money is exactly how a team loses 90+ games three straight years. Statements like that aren't close to factual.
    Statements like what? I fully agree that the lack of spending last year was frustrating, but they ARE spending this year. The final payroll number is far less important to me than how the money is being spent, and I personally like the way it's been spent this winter.

14. This user likes Nick Nelson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (01-20-2014)

Liked 3,169 Times in 1,356 Posts

I fully agree that the lack of spending last year was frustrating, but they ARE spending this year. The final payroll number is far less important to me than how the money is being spent, and I personally like the way it's been spent this winter.
    Those two statements seem contradictory to me.

For the record, Cots lists the Twins 2013 payroll at $82m. If you are happier with HOW the Twins are spending this year, fine. But they are not spending any more, so I think it's fair for others to continue to be frustrated at the lack
    of spending.

I also don't believe there's only $20m left in the Twins "cap" for 2014, and while I may be in the minority, I don't want to watch another 90 loss team while the Twins sit on cash waiting for a "clearer picture" to emerge of their needs. Their needs are obvious, as is the help they can reasonably hope to get internally.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

16. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-20-2014)

Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I also don't believe there's only $20m left in the Twins "cap" for 2014, and while I may be in the minority, I don't want to watch another 90 loss team while the Twins sit on cash waiting for a "clearer picture" to emerge of their needs. Their needs are obvious, as is the help they can reasonably hope to get internally.
    Are their needs really obvious though? Starting pitching was an obvious need and it's already been addressed. You could point to shortstop but solving that problem isn't as easy as just throwing money at it. The rest of the positions need to sort themselves out to some degree.

18. This user likes Nick Nelson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-20-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I would not hold my breath regarding Danny Santana at SS. Terry Ryan mentioned him as a dark horse candidate this year, but let's look at his defensive numbers:

2011 - 27 errors in 78 games at short
    2012 - 18 errors in 85 games at short
    2013 - 32 errors in 125 games at short (23 years old)

Terry seems to treasure defense at SS, I don't know if he is going to hand it to a guy with this many errors. At this rate he would have 39 errors in 155 games. His .719 OPS is probably not enough offense to overlook the defense.

Plouffe had fewer errors at SS and was moved. The last major reps he had at SS were:

2009: 26 errors in 111 games
    2010: 11 errors in 92 games

Admittedly, Plouffe's range could have been a factor (I am not sure how they compare). But to move the one guy and think the other is the answer at SS seems odd.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=santan001dan

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=plouff001tre
    Errors are the most deceiving way to measure defense. They are subject to all kinds of things outside the control of the player, not the least of which is the official scorer. Minor league field conditions also play a part. But, more than anything, guys who commit a lot of errors also end to lead their leagues in chances, as Santana did last year.

To give you a little context, Greg Gagne had 39 errors in AA in in 1982 and 34 errors in 1983. Yet, he's widely regarded as the best defensive shortstop in Twins history.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

20. These 2 users like cmathewson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (01-20-2014), glunn (01-20-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Those two statements seem contradictory to me.

For the record, Cots lists the Twins 2013 payroll at $82m. If you are happier with HOW the Twins are spending this year, fine. But they are not spending any more, so I think it's fair for others to continue to be frustrated at the lack
    of spending.

I agree, the important thing is we are nowhere near where we could be and we are landing in the same spot. MLB recommends 52% of revenue on payroll. Last year the Twins had $216M in revenue and that should go up with the new TV deal and the all-star game. We are at 39% of revenue, $29M short. Keep in mind that many MLB teams go well above this recommendation.

http://www.forbes.com/teams/minnesota-twins/

22. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-20-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great article.

Some basic rules: Build from within. Draft well. Trade up when you are in contention: with the classic example being the Bobby Kielty for Shannon Stewart trade.

Free Agent signings rarely work. Microwave teams don't go worst to first, with Boston being the exception.

Don't spend $ just to appease the fan base in the offseason.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,606 Times in 833 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Are their needs really obvious though? Starting pitching was an obvious need and it's already been addressed. You could point to shortstop but solving that problem isn't as easy as just throwing money at it. The rest of the positions need to sort themselves out to some degree.
    To me, this is the most frustrating (and at times, hopeful) part of the organization.

The Twins have way too many bad players on the roster. They have a bunch of quality prospects waiting to come up and play MLB games. Some will fail, some will thrive. The end result is that the Twins end up in a holding pattern while these players sort out their roles on the team.

The one position I don't see some kind of logjam is shortstop, which is why I'm in favor of picking up Drew... But he has his warts as well and isn't a perfect fit for the 2015-2016 Twins.

Meh. It's not as easy as "buy all teh playerz!" if you're trying to compete over a long period of time.

25. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-20-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins have done a bad job lately in developing players. Bruxton and Santo may not make an impact for few years.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast