Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brayan Villareal DFAd

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 330 Times in 219 Posts
    Blog Entries

Brayan Villareal DFAd

With Grady Sizemore signing with the Red Sox, Brayan Villareal has been DFA'd by the Sox. The righty reliever is coming off of a thumb injury and a big trade from the Tigers during the 2013, rendering the season as pretty much a lost year for Villareal. The guy was coming off of a monster first full major league season in 2012 for Detroit, with 10.9 K/9 and only 6.3 H/9.

Given that this was only a thumb injury and that he still likely can bring it at up to 99 MPH. what does everybody think about the Twins working out a deal?

Oh yeah, he still will be working for around the minimum (~$500,000), begins Arb in 2015.

2. These 2 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-22-2014), savvyspy (01-23-2014)

Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is a good reason for a 27 year old pitcher to have less than 75 MLB innings. Villareal is an one (and a half) pitch pony. FB (and slider occasionally) And he can control his FB as former Twins' Juan Morillo and Jim Hoey could. And their fastballs were even faster...

just sayin'
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have enough mediocrity at SP. Adding to what Thrylos said he's also nursing an injury.
    There's no way I touch this guy.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    There is a good reason for a 27 year old pitcher to have less than 75 MLB innings. Villareal is an one (and a half) pitch pony. FB (and slider occasionally) And he can control his FB as former Twins' Juan Morillo and Jim Hoey could. And their fastballs were even faster...

just sayin'
    Except Villareal has something neither of your other two examples posesses, his one year of full season ball produced an ERA+ of 162 as a very decent set-up guy for the Tigers.

Seems like a much better risk picking him up as a DFA- than trading away a future 2-time Gold Glove and slugging Shortstop for a guy who still hasn't proven anything.

6. These 3 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-22-2014), savvyspy (01-23-2014), USAFChief (01-22-2014)

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 232 Posts
    Morillo and Hoey aren't particularly good statistical comps.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

8. These 3 users like snepp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (01-22-2014), savvyspy (01-23-2014), USAFChief (01-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Except Villareal has something neither of your other two examples posesses, his one year of full season ball produced an ERA+ of 162 as a very decent set-up guy for the Tigers.
    Throw in a much better minor league track record for good measure.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."

10. These 2 users like snepp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (01-22-2014), USAFChief (01-22-2014)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    ok So first people say we cant afford Tanaka, spending like that is crazy , now people say signing a lower tier player makes no sense cause he isnt worth the leaque minimum?
    If he isint back he can go to AAA , if he makes the pen , then we have an asset that allows us to maybe trade another player or 2 , to help the offense or to add a prospect to help the future

12. These 2 users like johnnydakota's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (01-22-2014), savvyspy (01-23-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Meh, color me unimpressed with his numbers than a somewhat fluky looking 2012. I'm not sure who I would prefer he replace in the current pen, which is stacked, nor would I want him taking a spot from a guy like DeDuno/Diamond who potentially could be stashed and counted on starting down the road.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danchat View Post
    We have enough mediocrity at SP. Adding to what Thrylos said he's also nursing an injury.
    There's no way I touch this guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post

just sayin'
    Villareal is strictly a RP as a major-leaguer, not an SP. And there's virtually no risk in seeing what he brings to the table.

And that age number didn't seem right, Villareal actually doesn't turn 27 until mid-May. His first big league taste was in his 5th pro year in April of 2011, at age 23.
    Last edited by jokin; 01-22-2014 at 11:15 PM.

15. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-22-2014)

A potential power arm for the pen at nearly no cost?

If it means fewer innings for next year's version of Josh Roenicke I'm all for it.

edit: hmmm, I guess it's about time to start referring to things as "this" year's isn't it?
    Last edited by snepp; 01-22-2014 at 11:31 PM.

17. These 3 users like snepp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-22-2014), jokin (01-22-2014), USAFChief (01-23-2014)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    So who replaces Burton or Fien if they struggle?
    Having options is a bad thing?
    Last year it sure would have been nice to have an
    additional option in center field , Me thinks.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Again, meh. His overall ML numbers have him as a 4.59 ERA guy, and in 3 seasons in AAA his ERA was 3.91 and his k:bb ratio was pretty....bad. Nothing he has done in either AAA or MLB indicates he isn't going to walk a ton of guys, sure I guess it can't hurt to sign him and stash him in the minors or whatever, but I think the Twins prob would be better served giving playing time to a youngster with upside if/when Burton/Fien etc etc falter.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Red Sox will likely find someone to make a deal. They may only get offers of other players in the similar position of being out of options on the fringe of a roster. Should the a Twins offer Worley, Diamond or Deduno? Escobar? I wouldn't. They have enough depth at reliever.

As teams make roster moves in the spring getting to the 25 man roster, I can envision one of the pitchers going for an out of options 4th OF/CF.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    The Red Sox will likely find someone to make a deal. They may only get offers of other players in the similar position of being out of options on the fringe of a roster. Should the a Twins offer Worley, Diamond or Deduno? Escobar? I wouldn't. They have enough depth at reliever.

As teams make roster moves in the spring getting to the 25 man roster, I can envision one of the pitchers going for an out of options 4th OF/CF.
    If I recall correctly, the Red Sox somehow found the need for kicking the tires on Danny Valencia, yielding the Twins Jeremias Pineda. I can easily envision a return type of trade for Villareal, with the Twins giving up someone as inconsequential and buried deep in the depth chart as Pineda was to the Sox.
    Last edited by jokin; 01-23-2014 at 12:46 AM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Caught my eye on MLB site. Count me in. We will have an open spot on the 40 man if Albers goes to Korea. We may even get the $500K to give Villareal

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post

Fien and Burton already had some noticeable warning flags in 2013 as they neared reaching age 30 and 33:

Fien
    2012 ERA+: 201 2013 ERA+: 104
    2012 ERA: 2.06 2013 ERA: 3.92 Oliver 2014 projection: 3.62

Burton
    2012 ERA+: 189 2013 ERA+: 106
    2012 ERA: 2.18 2013 ERA: 3.82 Oliver 2014 projection: 3.67

I think they'll still be fine in 2014, but what's wrong with having another RHP option that can throw it at 97 MPH?- with nearly a career K% of 33% against righty bats, I might add- and mix it up with the 91 MPH that Fien and Burton throw?

This is not a perfect comparison with Villareal whatsoever (Fien came through the college ranks and had his own injury issues).....but, FWIW......Casey Fien's major league numbers before becoming a Twin at age 28:

2 years (ages 25 and 26)
    Innings Pitched: 14
    ERA+: 56
    ERA: 9.69
    H/9: 10.9
    K/9: 6.25

Seems like Villareal is a buy-low candidate much like Fien was 2 years ago, only going in to a deal, Villareal actually has one sterling major league season under his belt and has a thumb injury, not an arm injury.
    Last edited by jokin; 01-23-2014 at 12:49 AM.

24. These 2 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-23-2014), savvyspy (01-23-2014)

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 325 Posts
    Reasonable opportunity, no downside really.

26. These 4 users like twinsnorth49's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

AWOLNATION_11 (01-23-2014), johnnydakota (01-23-2014), Reider (01-23-2014), USAFChief (01-23-2014)

Liked 58 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Reasonable opportunity, no downside really.
    This is how I feel as well. I'd like to see the Twins sign Garza, but it wouldn't be a huge risk to give this guy an opportunity if it's the route the Twins want to go.

28. This user likes Reider's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-23-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Having too much pitching should not be an issue, you can always use it or trade it Worth the chance for minimal investmen

Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Fien and Burton already had some noticeable warning flags in 2013 as they neared reaching age 30 and 33.
    Agreed. And I think that the Twins should have sold high of Fien. They still maybe can. But there are still enough arms internally to replace Fien, Tonkin for example, who is also a fireballer but probably more sure thing than Villareal for a late inning option. Also, they will need space for some of the pitchers who will not make the rotation. Zach Jones is next on line as well.

Now, if you offer him a MiLB contract and he accepts, there is no harm in stashing him in Rochester to begin the season...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast