Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Brewers sign Garza to deal similar to Twins' Nolasco

The fact that Garza has a screw in his elbow, coupled with a fairly extensive injury history, should have scared most teams off a 4-year deal. I don't think he'll make 100 starts over the contract.

That, coupled with the fact that Garza and the Twins don't really want to get back together for personality reasons makes me satisfied that he signed elsewhere, even for a reduced price.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I guess some people are just a little higher on Garza's ability than I am.

I'd have liked to have him in addition to the pitchers the Twins already signed (especially if it meant they could/would turn around and deal Correia to keep one rotation spot open for competition), but I'm not shedding tears that the Twins have Nolasco instead.

Given what he signed for, it would certainly be interesting to know what, if anything, the Twins had on the table for him to consider. I'm guessing they just didn't really want two 4-year contracts in their rotation at this point.

If Jimenez, E Santana and Arroyo all end up with comparatively lower contracts and it turns out the guys who signed in November got the better money/years, it will be interesting to see how that affects the market next fall. I know Tanaka slowed the process down, but it's just hard for me to understand how he would have lowered the market for the guys still unsigned, especially given that he certainly didn't get lower than his own market value.

What happened to the theory that all the big-money teams that lost out on Tanaka would be standing in line to outbid one another for Garza and the others?
    Last edited by Jim Crikket; 01-23-2014 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Added question in final paragraph
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

plus the draft pick, which is worth how much again?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    When the Twins signed Nolasco there was no way to know that Garza would be going for this price. I'd have preferred Garza but had the Twins only signed Hughes and Pelfrey at this point plenty of us would have been disappointed about the team's lack of activity.

As it turned out, the Twins couldn't be aggressive AND sign Garza, it was a Catch-22 for them.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 358 Times in 180 Posts
    I have always been a huge Garza fan, so I definitely thought he would be better than most everything on the market...however, looking back at his numbers objectively, it should be noted that since 2010 he has been much closer to a middle of the rotation guy then a front of the rotation guy (sans a very nice 2011)

He and Nolasco are different guys for sure, and while my heart tells me that Garza would have been a better deal, my mind tells me that based on WAR etc that Nolasco and Garza will be pretty closer to even at the end of these four year deals.

Garza certainly has more upside IMO, however you can't discount the injury issues he has had. At the end of the day I would rather have had him then Nolasco, but the difference IMO is pretty small after thinking more about it. Certainly not worth "roasting" the Twins over.

Quote Originally Posted by blindeke View Post
    oh oops never mind.

I knew a guy who went to college with Garza and said he's a complete ******* (no surprise). Hard to see the Twins signing him.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
    Just like everyone else that has commented so far, I am really surprised by this deal. I agree with other posters who have pointed out that 1)the Twins had do something in Nov and couldn't take the risk of waiting until the end of Jan and hoping someone fell into their lap 2)that for Garza to come back to the Twins it probably would have taken a lot more cash to wash away the bad blood from his first tour with the team 3)why did all the other team looking for pitchers(especially legit contenders) not outbid the Brewers?

One new point I wanted to make(I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this yet):

I'm glad the Twins are keeping their budget flexible for 3-4 years down the road. If everything goes as fans hope by 2017 the Twins will be forced to look at extensions already for guys like Meyer, Sano, and Buxton in order to buy out some arbitration and early free agency years. That has been the trend in MLB recently and assuming there are still a couple guys like Mauer, Perkins, and Nolasco around eating up good chunks of salary, payroll space will be at a premium before too long.

Johan Santana is the perfect cautionary tale of signing hard throwing pitchers with a history of problems to long term deals. Over the course of one contract since being traded by the Twins he has gone from a dominating staff ace to a guy hoping to land a minor league deal. The Mets were thrilled the first couple of years but I'm guessing they regretted that contract the past couple years.

Based on the fact that someone else didn't offer Garza more money and years I don't think the Twins are the only ones who think the Brewers will be having buyers remorse in years 3-4: which is exactly when the Twins are hoping to be a legit contender again.

Quote Originally Posted by blindeke View Post
    Well if you tally up the Twins last 10 years or so of 2nd round picks...that answer would be.....about zero.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,512 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Well if you tally up the Twins last 10 years or so of 2nd round picks...that answer would be.....about zero.
    Anthony Swarzak is typing a sternly worded letter of dissent right now.

10. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (01-23-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Eades, Melo Chargois and Goodrum will at least try and make you eat your words

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Ha!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
    Garza would not cost a draft choice. I find it distasteful the "sour grapes" responses to Garza signing elsewhere. I wish (hope) it wasn't an either/or situation--but I fear it was. I do feel that had both players signed with the Twins that nearly all of the posters would have responded very warmly to Garza signing with the Twins (I sure would!).

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Oh I forgot about him, but the point remains. I like Swarzak, but would not having a 1/10 chance or whatever in landing a guy like him really not be worth signing a premium SP like Ubaldo etc?

Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would take Loshe and Garza "issues" over Gardenhire and Ryan/Smith 'issues' any day. The issues may be created by the management of them. But then, I like individuals and spirit over uniform and vanilla.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 750 Times in 394 Posts
    Pretty decent chance we face both Garza and Lohse in June. Should be interesting.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Oh I forgot about him, but the point remains. I like Swarzak, but would not having a 1/10 chance or whatever in landing a guy like him really not be worth signing a premium SP like Ubaldo etc?
    Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with your point, just snarking a bit.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It had been reported that teams (not just the Twins) didn't want to go past 2-3 years on Garza. It seems that the Brewers were willing to add that fourth year and likely used some fear of loss on Garza and his agent. A take it or leave it type of proposal.

During Garza's four year peak (2008-2011) here were his numbers.

790.1 IP 3.72 ERA 3.92 FIP 4.01 xFIP 11.3 WAR

Adding in age and regression, I think 10 WAR over the next four years is a fair projection for a healthy Garza. Using $6M a win that has him at a $60M valuation.

Then you factor in health and injury concern. Garza has missed chunks of the past two years with elbow and lat issues. Here are his numbers in the past two seasons (2012-2013).

259 IP 3.86 ERA 3.99 FIP 3.67 xFIP 2.6 WAR

The good news is that Garza has been the same pitcher during those past two seasons. The bad news is that he's been injured close to 35% of the time. Four years is a long time and with Garza's recent injury history, it wouldn't be surprising if he missed (on average) 25% of each season or the equivalent of a full season over the four years. That would bring him down to 7.5 WAR over the four years, for a valuation of $45M.

They seemed to have met in the middle at $52M.

All in all this doesn't look like a steal or an overpay, just a fair deal.

19. This user likes JP3700's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

savvyspy (01-23-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JP3700 View Post
    It had been reported that teams (not just the Twins) didn't want to go past 2-3 years on Garza. It seems that the Brewers were willing to add that fourth year and likely used some fear of loss on Garza and his agent. A take it or leave it type of proposal.
    Yikes. Again, I wonder about those medical reports. Teams must know something that we don't because on paper, Garza is worth more than Nolasco despite Matt's past two seasons.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    I'm a bit disappointed but honestly I'd rather have Stephen Drew at this point. The Twins need to realize you are allowed to improve the lineup in the offseason it's not an either/or proposition.

22. This user likes savvyspy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (01-23-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wouldn't it be more fair to take a sample of everybody's Number 2 draft picks over the last ten years and not just the twins?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast