Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Article: Brewers sign Garza to deal similar to Twins' Nolasco

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    It's a steal.
    I think they actually just priced in a TJ somewhere during the 5 years and it's a pretty fair deal. Figure the elbow gives out mid-season at some point and he misses the rest of that season, part of the next, and rehabs the end of that next season. You're then talking basically 3.5/$51 and pretty darn close to his AAV at the 5/$75 range originally projected.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,512 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    I think they actually just priced in a TJ somewhere during the 5 years and it's a pretty fair deal. Figure the elbow gives out mid-season at some point and he misses the rest of that season, part of the next, and rehabs the end of that next season. You're then talking basically 3.5/$51 and pretty darn close to his AAV at the 5/$75 range originally projected.
    This is my only guess as to why Garza got so little comparatively speaking. On paper, he's a better pitcher than Nolasco. Not infinitely better, but better. And he's a year younger.

At that point, the only reason I can come up with why he received that contract is "medical records". Something in his history is throwing up red flags, something we don't see as fans.

There are just too many MLB teams that need quality MLB starters to pass up on Garza so readily, especially when they can get him without draft pick compensation.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Could be, but I look at probably the best pitcher on the market (other than the question mark that is Tanaka) and they got him for a better deal than Nolasco and didn't have to give up a draft pick.

For a free agent signing, I'm not sure you can do much better.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456