Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Free Agent?

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 585 Times in 316 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    I saw on Yahoo today that now the Yanks have passed the luxury mark, that they were going to make a run at Drew.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/yankees...8104--mlb.html
    And no mention of the Twins having interest with the Mets, Jays and A's.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Cruz could be an interesting play if you can get him on a one year "prove it" deal.
    Any idea on how Cruz will hit without the Biogenesis stuff? That, the draft pick and the message the Twins will send signing a PED user, makes me think that it is not happening. On the other hand, even though his arm is not good any more, he will be a better LF than Willingham. RF not much so.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Rather then Drew or Cruz, I would like to see Diaz,Garza,Yenier Bello in that order.
    If we sign Garza, that means Correia is avalible for trade ,and both Baltimore and Huston need a veteran starter yet, and both have catchers we could use in,Johnny Monell and Stassi

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Any idea on how Cruz will hit without the Biogenesis stuff? That, the draft pick and the message the Twins will send signing a PED user, makes me think that it is not happening. On the other hand, even though his arm is not good any more, he will be a better LF than Willingham. RF not much so.
    Well if he was a sure thing, then you obviously couldn't get him on a below market deal and he most likely would be looking at 3-4 year deal.

As far as the draft pick goes....if he proves to be effective/good, then the Twins can recoup a pick the following year if they make him a qualifying offer. Or they could always trade him for a good prospect anyways.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Cruz could be an interesting play if you can get him on a one year "prove it" deal.
    So you would give up a draft pick to sign a PEDs user to a 1 year contract?
    And how much would you be willing to give him?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 61 Times in 41 Posts
    The mention of "a bat" is what caught my ears... guessing it's Drew. If they actually platooned him with Floirmon/Plouffe, could be a good pick-up, depending on the terms, of course.

Yanquis are way past the limit, so the speculation there seems like an afterthought- not necessarily a bidding war w/them. Twins could prevail, but then, they're made of money.

TR's newfound agressivenes is the big puzzle, and very hard not to psychoanalyze. Only when the offseason is done can we really read the tea leaves...
    F5, then post.

I think it's Michael Young because the Twins need someone to challenge Plouffe for the starting job at 3rd, they need veteran leadership, and also Michael is still a solid player. I don't understand why some people are saying he should sign as a utility player, I hope we sign him, we could be missing out on a very good player.

The Michael Young suggestion is a fresh take which I really appreciate. I'd love Young on a year at 3B over a Cruz Drew or Morales signing.

Michael Young would NOT be a good move for many reasons.
    1. He has been a negative WAR player the last two years.
    2. He is 37
    3. His "bat" skill has been below average the last two years and will only continue to decline.
    4. Defensively he has been very bad at 3B the past few years.

In summation: He isn't likely better than Plouffe at this point, hitting or fielding wise, and Sano likely will be up in June/July anyways. He doesn't play defense well enough, or hit well enough to justify a bench spot at this point.

10. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-24-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    I'll throw out another name as someone we're circling back on - Johann

12. This user likes ScottyB's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Otwins (01-24-2014)

Yes, I've noticed Young's decline in the field and he's capable of some occasionally poor at-bats. But as long as he still wants to play I'd take him over Plouffe seven games a week.

Also he might bring a 162-game mentality to the clubhouse, which arguably is what the Twins have been lacking the most.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 338 Times in 192 Posts
    I can't believe it's Drew or Young if we are "circling back". That would almost have to mean Garza or Arroyo right?

15. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-24-2014)

Johan Santana makes some sense. I also wouldn't be surprised if its that Korean pitcher the Twins have been connected to this off season.
    Last edited by Dbohnk; 01-24-2014 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I can't believe it's Drew or Young if we are "circling back". That would almost have to mean Garza or Arroyo right?
    Weren't the Twins already linked to Drew?

Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Yes, I've noticed Young's decline in the field and he's capable of some occasionally poor at-bats. But as long as he still wants to play I'd take him over Plouffe seven games a week.

Also he might bring a 162-game mentality to the clubhouse, which arguably is what the Twins have been lacking the most.
    A 162 game mentality? What does that even mean?

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 741 Times in 414 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A 162 game mentality? What does that even mean?
    It means that should there be a game 163 tiebreaker, Michael Young will Jeffrey Dahmer the opposing team in their hotel rooms.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Not interested in Michael Young. Plouffe plays better defense.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 124 Times in 57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    I don't think Gardy would say "wow" over a fourth SP. I agree that this sounds like Drew. Or maybe Garza. But a hitter seems more likely to generate that reaction. IMO.
    It's gotta be Punto or Butera. Those are the only players that would make Gardy say "wow".

22. These 8 users like notoriousgod71's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (01-24-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (01-24-2014), glunn (01-25-2014), halfchest (01-24-2014), johnnydakota (01-24-2014), Otwins (01-24-2014), Sconnie (01-25-2014), USAFChief (01-24-2014)

I just can't see the Twins sacrificing any draft picks in such a deep draft. This is a whole lot of nothing. It always is with Terry Ryan.

They probably gonna offer Garza something like 3 years 50 million and see if he bites.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast