Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Free Agent?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Another Free Agent?

It has been creeping up in the news that the Twins are apparently checking into another free agent, according to Wolfson. Has anyone else heard more regarding this?

https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/st...06304590045185

Stephen Drew?

Stephen Drew makes the most sense. I read where the Red Sox are likely out on him and the Yankees are now too. Who else is chasing him?????
    If they get Arroyo, I think Correa is traded for a bench bat. I would rather have Kendry Morales than Cruz. If we sign a bat other than Drew, does that mean Kubel isn't making the team as the DH? Or would he just be a pinch hitter/extra outfielder. Kubel, Willingham and Arcia rotating in the outfield would make the centerfielder's job kind of rough.

Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    It has been creeping up in the news that the Twins are apparently checking into another free agent, according to Wolfson. Has anyone else heard more regarding this?

https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/st...06304590045185

3. This user likes ppearson50's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

savvyspy (01-24-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    I can't see the Twins going after someone who will cost them a draft choice. This year's draft is very deep. Drew is not worth a draft choice. I could see Arroyo or a 3B type - Placido Polanco, Justin Turner or Michael Young. Semi-big names, not great players, but maybe a guy to push Plouffe.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 135 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Turner and Young have versatility. I don't know if Polanco could be considered anything other than a 3B (I know he played second back in the day). Having a RH hitter to play first and another position would be nice, although it may end up being Plouffe.

It appears to be a player that has already been mentioned as someone the Twins are interested in:

"Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN talked with Twins manager Ron Gardenhire yesterday and was told the team is circling back with one more notable free agent. "[Assistant GM] Rob [Antony] just called me the other day and told me they were gonna make another run at a guy, and I'm like, 'Wow that's pretty good,'" said Gardenhire. "So they did it, and whether it works out or not we'll see, and they're not done. ... They're after it. I know that." Wolfson's hunch is that Gardenhire is not referring to Ubaldo Jimenez or Ervin Santana, but rather a bat or Bronson Arroyo"

Milwaukee hasn't signed Garza quite yet!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    I just saw this too over at traderumors. I really think it's gotta be Drew. I don't think Arroyo makes any sense as I gotta feel the Twins want to give Worley/Diamond/Deduno another shot. Arroyo isn't enough of an upgrade to not give those guys another shot. If either of those guys can be decent that's a cheap backend SP for us for the next 3-4 years. We don't have anyone close at SS right now and I know this argument was hashed out earlier but I don't think the value of a 2nd round pick is so high it keeps us from signing a guy like Drew.

What if we're circling around on Garza now that talks with Brewers apparently hit a snag? Now that would be a sizeable enough upgrade to be worth getting rid of Correia or letting our optionless guys walk.

Agree with ppearson50, I'm more interested in Kendrys Morales than Cruz or Drew. He would be an improvement on Kubel/Parmelee/Colabello at DH. At 3 years/$12M, or 2 years/$9M I'd consider giving up the draft pick.

Kendrys passed on 1 year $14M, so maybe he wouldn't bite on these offers. On the other hand, where else is he going to play?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Kendrys costs a draft pick?

Here's kind of a crazy idea. What if they went after both Kendrys and Drew. Give up the 2nd and 3rd round pick. Improve your DH/bench plus add a solid SS. Maybe I'm just getting greedy now.

Drew would be a significant upgrade at SS. Florimon's bat provided negative value last year and defensively the two are a wash. I think Drew's anemic post season hitting sounded alarms for some teams. If we can sign him at $9-12 mil/year for 3 years we should pull the trigger. If we sign Garza then I suspect we will look to trade a SP by the deadline next year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Here's the enitre 2nd Tweet from Wolfson:
    (1 of 2) Gardy: "Rob just called me the other day & told me they were gonna make another run at a guy & I'm like wow that's pretty good..."

Let's not get too excited. The key word phrase there might be "the other day." If asked two days ago, I would have thought Garza was the name. In that case the Twins may have circled back, failed to give the 4th year and the ship sailed.

13. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-24-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsin17 View Post
    Drew would be a significant upgrade at SS. Florimon's bat provided negative value last year and defensively the two are a wash. I think Drew's anemic post season hitting sounded alarms for some teams. If we can sign him at $9-12 mil/year for 3 years we should pull the trigger. If we sign Garza then I suspect we will look to trade a SP by the deadline next year.
    No, it's Drew's awful splits against lefties and his inability to stay on the field that souns the alarms. He needs to be a platoon player; a guy who hasn't played 130 games in four years and puts up .196/.246/.340 against lefties shouldn't be making much more than Jamey Carroll but his agent is Scott Boras so he'll get closer to Troy Tulowitzki.

15. These 3 users like nicksaviking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Chance (01-24-2014), johnnydakota (01-24-2014), Reider (01-25-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 101 Times in 76 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    Kendrys costs a draft pick?

Here's kind of a crazy idea. What if they went after both Kendrys and Drew. Give up the 2nd and 3rd round pick. Improve your DH/bench plus add a solid SS. Maybe I'm just getting greedy now.
    This is what the Yankees did in 2008 or 2009. They signed CC, Teixera, and Burnett in the same off-season. Instead of 3 first round picks, they lost a 1, 2, and 3.

YOY, Drew over Florimon and Morales/Cruz over Parmalee/Doumit at DH has to be a 4-6 win improvement. If we could only do one I would prefer Drew.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would think its got to be Drew. Nobody else makes much sense. i read a story the other day the Twins wanted to improve offense. And Drew is willing to play multiple positions

18. This user likes pierre75275's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (01-24-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think Gardy would say "wow" over a fourth SP. I agree that this sounds like Drew. Or maybe Garza. But a hitter seems more likely to generate that reaction. IMO.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the Twins sign either Drew or Morales, then it makes even more sense at that point to get the other guy as well. The 3rd rd pick argument holds even less weight than the 2nd rd pick.

They'd both be improvements over what we have, but these deals would need to be at figures lower than previously expected to really make sense for the Twins right now IMO. Drew for no more than 3 years and Morales for no more than 2 with both at sub-$10M AAVs.

21. These 2 users like jay's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JP3700 (01-24-2014), USAFChief (01-24-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Cruz could be an interesting play if you can get him on a one year "prove it" deal.

Senior Member Triple-A Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 33 Posts
    I saw on Yahoo today that now the Yanks have passed the luxury mark, that they were going to make a run at Drew.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/yankees...8104--mlb.html

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the Twins don't like giving up a draft pick, maybe they could work out a trade with Boston to balance the loss of the pick?

Hopefully the Twins instead swoop a 55 mill offer on Garza instead of wasting any type of money on Arroyo. I have no prob though if they go for drew or young tho.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast