Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Free Agent?

Liked 3,013 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    An extra win is an extra win whether it's the 65th or 95th win.

There simply isn't a good reason to trot out a bad player at any position if you have the ability and resources to field a better player. Guys getting a free pass with the bat because they field a particular position is one of the old, bad ideas of baseball that needs to go away. Improvements should be made when and where they can (barring payroll, prospect, and future plans). Nobody should get a pass for being a subpar player and EVERYBODY should do their job (I hate the phrase "if everybody else does their jobs...", implying that eight guys have to do their jobs while the little league shortstop doesn't).
    We also heard for years that Mauer was worth more since his offense came from a "non offense" position. By that logic, wouldn't getting more offense from SS count for more as well?

Truth in advertising...I never bought that argument about Mauer, and don't buy it about Drew now. I just want the Twins to field a better, deeper lineup that will score more runs, and SS is both an obvious place to try and a position with an obvious answer available and reasonable to acquire.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

2. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (01-25-2014)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    An extra win is an extra win whether it's the 65th or 95th win.

There simply isn't a good reason to trot out a bad player at any position if you have the ability and resources to field a better player. Guys getting a free pass with the bat because they field a particular position is one of the old, bad ideas of baseball that needs to go away. Improvements should be made when and where they can (barring payroll, prospect, and future plans). Nobody should get a pass for being a subpar player and EVERYBODY should do their job (I hate the phrase "if everybody else does their jobs...", implying that eight guys have to do their jobs while the little league shortstop doesn't).
    Agreeing with all most all of that statement Brock, except the part about letting a magic bean stand in your way,if he will be here in June or July ,fine is 1 thing, but not to upgrade because he might be here in 2 or 3 years is another, especially if you look at how many get injurred or struggle , then you are looking at 3-4 years .Basically the lenght of said contract
    Last edited by johnnydakota; 01-25-2014 at 10:15 AM.

4. This user likes johnnydakota's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (01-25-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,512 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    We also heard for years that Mauer was worth more since his offense came from a "non offense" position. By that logic, wouldn't getting more offense from SS count for more as well?

Truth in advertising...I never bought that argument about Mauer, and don't buy it about Drew now. I just want the Twins to field a better, deeper lineup that will score more runs, and SS is both an obvious place to try and a position with an obvious answer available and reasonable to acquire.
    Offense absolutely should be adjusted for position. Getting offensive performance out of the shortstop position is far more difficult than, say, left field.

But that doesn't give a team license to trot out a .600 OPS player at short because "everybody else is good, he doesn't have to be". That's a lazy, bad way of assembling an MLB roster. There's no reason one position gets to be a black hole by default, especially if that doesn't have to be the case.

6. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-25-2014), jokin (01-25-2014)

If we signed two guys and lost the 2nd and 3rd round picks, wouldn't we just be able to take someone risky in the 4th and pay a little
    More to get them to sign rather than go to college? (Like Gonsalves) and also do that a couple other times in the draft?

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    It's not just $$$, it's $$$ plus our second round draft pick. (who likely will automatically join our top 15 prospects, because of the depth of this year's draft,)
    There has been some excellent research done on the surplus value of draft picks. The second round pick we'd have to give up is worth somewhere around an average of $3-5M in surplus value. Maybe you go with the higher end of that if the deep draft bit holds up. Comparatively, a team with an unprotected mid-1st round pick has to sacrifice average surplus value of $8-15M. That's an advantage for the Twins.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    If we signed two guys and lost the 2nd and 3rd round picks, wouldn't we just be able to take someone risky in the 4th and pay a little
    More to get them to sign rather than go to college? (Like Gonsalves) and also do that a couple other times in the draft?
    No, you not only lose the pick, you lose the draft dollars assigned to those picks as well. Teams can go up to 5% over their total draft dollar allotment while only paying a penalty for going over. Losing those picks would lower the Twins overall allotment, thus further decreasing their ability to go "over-slot" on other picks.

10. This user likes jay's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-25-2014)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    If you lose your draft pick , you lose the slot money that goes with it , so no

Blog Entries
    The biggest risk with Drew is his performance and salary at the end of the deal. If you look at 2016 payroll with Drew on a 3-year deal, you're talking almost $60M locked up in Mauer, Drew, Nolasco, Hughes, and Perkins. You need to re-sign or replace Willingham, Correia, Pelfrey, Suzuki, Burton, and Duensing in the meantime. You also need to pay arbitration salaries to almost everyone else that is on the roster today if they're still around.

I haven't seen much confidence in how Drew is going to be performing come 2016. I don't want to be straddled to that situation outlined above where we're stuck with a marginal shortstop and increasing payroll demands right when we'd hope to be smack in the middle of a highly competitive window.

13. This user likes jay's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TheLeviathan (01-25-2014)

Drew makes sense.

I would hope we could replace Willingham with Hicks, Buxton, and Arcia as our future outfield. Correia and Pelfrey with Meyer, Gibson, and eventually Stewart. Suzuki with Pinto and Stuart Turner. And this team always seems to be able to find bullpen arms so I wouldn't worry about Burton and Duensing.

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    The biggest risk with Drew is his performance and salary at the end of the deal. If you look at 2016 payroll with Drew on a 3-year deal, you're talking almost $60M locked up in Mauer, Drew, Nolasco, Hughes, and Perkins. You need to re-sign or replace Willingham, Correia, Pelfrey, Suzuki, Burton, and Duensing in the meantime. You also need to pay arbitration salaries to almost everyone else that is on the roster today if they're still around.

I haven't seen much confidence in how Drew is going to be performing come 2016. I don't want to be straddled to that situation outlined above where we're stuck with a marginal shortstop and increasing payroll demands right when we'd hope to be smack in the middle of a highly competitive window.

Oh ok, carry on. Thanks.

If 2016 is smack in the middle of a highly competitive window, what do you plan for SS in 2015? Won't 2015 also be in that window? Or is the window only one season long?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ppearson50 View Post
    I would hope we could replace Willingham with Hicks, Buxton, and Arcia as our future outfield. Correia and Pelfrey with Meyer, Gibson, and eventually Stewart. Suzuki with Pinto and Stuart Turner. And this team always seems to be able to find bullpen arms so I wouldn't worry about Burton and Duensing.
    I hope so too, but every bit of history tells us at least some piece(s) of that won't pan out. I'd prefer the flexibility to supplement the roster with a free agent then (when we know exactly where it is needed) as opposed to being locked in to 2016's Drew today.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    If 2016 is smack in the middle of a highly competitive window, what do you plan for SS in 2015? Won't 2015 also be in that window? Or is the window only one season long?
    Good question. If Florimon further proves that he needs to be replaced after 2014, the Twins have an additional year to identify/develop talent in-house or acquire someone via trade. If that doesn't work out, you have what is currently the best FA SS class in probably ever. Signing a SS next offseason, if necessary, reduces the huge risk of decline that we face in getting Drew now.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Guys, Drew ain't happening. You are reading WAY too much into Gardenhire's quote. At most, the Twins are offering on an international player, a fringy Asian pitcher, a Cuban national or a rehabbing Santana. There's nothing out there that's going to provide crucial help to this team next year. They are looking at opportunities, sure, but not in the way that is being represented in this thread, IMHO.

Fun to talk about when it's late January like this, and COLD, but, ultimately, the Hot Stove is not going to yield much more to bank hopes on. The Twins will be better this year, and depending on young guys like Hicks, Parmelee, Plouffe, Dozier, Florimon, Pinto, and yes, Sano, they may even be fun to watch. But that does not equate to spending big bucks on Drew or Santana and losing a draft pick. Nor should it.

20. This user likes Old Twins Cap's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

minn55441 (01-25-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One of the problems with the WAR debate, is the idea that plus 1 WAR actually translate to one win. The fact that Drew is has a plus 1 advantage in 2013 over Florimon means that WAR believes Drew was the better player. I don't really believe that anybody who understands WAR, really believes there is a one to one correspondence between a plus 1 WAR and an actual win. It might be more, it might be less, given that there is more than one WAR, it could be almost anything. Trying to peg the actual difference between Drew and Florimon is a tricky thing and I doubt if using one stat, even WAR, is going to tell you the actual difference.

What I tend to believe is that Drew's defensive value, no matter how you try to measure it, is declining. Florimon's defensive value is likely better than Drew's right now, and may increase slightly as we go forward. Since some "experts" believe Drew might not be able to stay at short much longer, that is another factor.

Largely, you have to believe that Drew is and will be a hugely greater value offensively at shortstop over Florimon or whoever else the Twins might be able to send out shortstop over the length of the contract, to justify signing him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
    The salary structure of 2016 is difficult to project, but given the present budget in the $80-85MM range can be expanded 40% and still be in the 52% of revenue parameter, I don't see the addition of an extra free agent to pose a future problem. If the plan truly was to add a quality free agent SS next year (somebody better than Drew) then waiting makes sense--but if that isn't a future commitment, then adding him now makes sense.

Good question. If Florimon further proves that he needs to be replaced after 2014, the Twins have an additional year to identify/develop talent in-house or acquire someone via trade. If that doesn't work out, you have what is currently the best FA SS class in probably ever. Signing a SS next offseason, if necessary, reduces the huge risk of decline that we face in getting Drew now.
    Who do you see them signing next offseason?

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Drew's value to the next competitive Twins team is likely as a trading asset, not as productive player on field. Than the longterm question becomes is the price worth whatever upgrade Drew could potentially net over a high second round pick in this years draft.

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Drew's value to the next competitive Twins team is likely as a trading asset, not as productive player on field. Than the longterm question becomes is the price worth whatever upgrade Drew could potentially net over a high second round pick in this years draft.
    I don't believe a player who will be turning 31 this year has no chance of being part of the next competitive Twins team. At least I hope not.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As Sano, Buxton, Arcia and Rosario get to their mid 20s, the Twins need to position themselves to be competitive, they need the payroll flexibility to sign players to fill in the gaps. I don't think the window for that group opens before 2016. There is a reasonable likelihood that Drew will be a liability at SS at that time. The is a chance that Santana will be an asset. He won't get that chance if Drew has a long term contract.

I think most teams that are interested in Drew don't want to go beyond two years. The Twins should be in a similar position.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast