@sethtweets
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Special Night at Target Field: Diamond Awards

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Really good stuff, Seth. Thanks for this.

One thing, because it really rubbed me the wrong way:

When asked about the decision to move Joe Mauer to first base, Gardy’s humor came out. “We are going to have the best looking first baseman and the best looking second baseman in the league. We’ll have all the chicks at the ballpark!”
    Am I the only one who is finding this offensive, coming from a Twins' leader in a Twins' public event? Women do not play baseball, but a. a lot of them are knowledgeable about it and would rather watch the game than the players and b. referring to women as "chicks" is demeaning, any way you cut it. Almost as bad as Calvin Griffith's comments and definitely as "humorous". Locker room "humor" belongs there and should not cross over to a formal, public event.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    "Chicks dig the long ball" became a national slogan for a fairly prominent company. I think you might be over-thinking it... but maybe others agree with you.

4. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (01-24-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    "Chicks dig the long ball" became a national slogan for a fairly prominent company. I think you might be over-thinking it... but maybe others agree with you.
    That was in the past millennium, though, and still does not make it proper.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 74 Times in 56 Posts
    There was nothing even remotely offensive about what Gardy said. I was 15 feet from Mr. and Mrs. Joe Mauer when this line was delivered, and like virtually all the rest of us in attendance, they laughed. It was completely bereft of even the slightest hint of denigration or objectification, so yes, you're looking for something that wasn't there.

BTW, a few women do in fact play baseball. Four women took part in this season's Fantasy Camp in Fort Myers.

Comparing Gardy's comment with those infamously made by Calvin Griffith IS offensive though.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 749 Times in 393 Posts
    Love the Carew-Oliva byplay.

I'm not offended, but then I don't have a rabid bias against Gardy, either.

8. These 2 users like crarko's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (01-24-2014), Seth Stohs (01-24-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    Great post~ thanks for keeping all of us who can't be there up to date!

As for Gardy's comment, maybe he's just responding to the ongoing Dozier "Hollywood Hair" meme. If so, at least he's got his ears to the ground. Loosen up already.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Gardy was great last night. Apparently he wasn't feeling very well, but it was comic. He and Ryan were both creating some laughs during their segment. Lots of fun!

Liked 73 Times in 54 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sports have changed a lot over the years.

Look at who attends baseball games at a demographic point of view.

Baseball was largely a lower class sport for years, fans are generational. Today it's probably more females and also more middle to upper class that probably attend the baseball games.

I don't like the NFL as much anymore, it's more about entertainment. Richard Sherman to half time wardrobe malfunctions - they want butts in the seats.

Also, saying you find someone attractive doesn't make you superficial, I married my wife because she's hot, but there are plenty hot women out there besides her - she's my wife because of everything else.

I wasn't there, but I'm guessing Gardy's comments were in a jest/humor context.

I went to a SABR meeting this past Wednesday here in Texas and we had Mike Maddux speak - he's as simple a country boy as you'll find and a lot of the jokes were just that, jokes, but probably could be taken as offensive to various crowds. For me, it was refreshing to know the business world hadn't overtaken baseball and everybody was this generic politically correct robot who speaks in perfect english and is a word monger who says a ton but says nothing all at the same time.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 378 Times in 211 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Am I the only one who is finding this offensive
    No, I'm offended Plouffe wasn't included. Plouffe is a handsome fellow too.

Source: his wife

Truly he is the best looking of the bunch

13. This user likes Willihammer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsnorth49 (01-24-2014)

Mauer said, “That sounds a little funny!”

I have to object to one thing: Joe Mauer has never said anything in his life that ended in an exclamation point. Other than that, sounds like it was a good time.

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, I am female and I'm not offended by Gardy's comments- us ladies can appreciate the finer side of the game.

Nice recap, thanks Seth. I went to the Old Timers Hot Stove League banquet on Tuesday night at the Prom Center in Oakdale and that's another great event for baseball fans in the east metro. (I was thankful the snow held off until I got home.) It featured John Anderson, Tom Kelly, Dave St. Peter, Jim Rantz, Kris Atteberry, Terry Ryan, Joe Mauer, Ricky Nolasco and Pedro Florimon. I was wondering if they told Ricky Nolasco coming to Minnesota in January and doing the caravan, banquets and TwinsFest was part of the deal. Kris Atteberry mentioned that Jim Rantz is retired but he still just shows up everywhere there is free food. They didn't discuss anything groundbreaking, just the usual baseball banter. Always fun to get together with baseball fans in the winter, looking forward to the Twins Daily party tomorrow and TwinsFest on Sunday!

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,178 Times in 1,688 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    but then I don't have a rabid bias against Gardy, either.
    Moderator's note: let's leave out the digs against one another, please.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,824 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Really good stuff, Seth. Thanks for this.

One thing, because it really rubbed me the wrong way:

Am I the only one who is finding this offensive, coming from a Twins' leader in a Twins' public event? Women do not play baseball, but a. a lot of them are knowledgeable about it and would rather watch the game than the players and b. referring to women as "chicks" is demeaning, any way you cut it. Almost as bad as Calvin Griffith's comments and definitely as "humorous". Locker room "humor" belongs there and should not cross over to a formal, public event.
    Well, yes, okay ... it's not PC. But as a female, I consider the source, roll my eyes a little, and move on. But there is truth to it. I mean, as into the game as I am, I can't help but let my binoculars wander a bit and sigh a little over the lusciousness that is Brian Dozier. But it's not why I'm at the game. If it were a field of women, what would the male response be?

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 328 Times in 126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    If it were a field of women, what would the male response be?
    Respectful, objective admiration of the athletic play and skill and of the woman athletes and focusing solely on their competitiveness and intelligent play of the game?

19. This user likes D. Hocking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (01-24-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,178 Times in 1,688 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    If it were a field of women, what would the male response be?
    That Dozier and Mauer were obvious ringers?

21. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (01-25-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    What was the Carew-Oliva byplay all about?

Liked 74 Times in 56 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    What was the Carew-Oliva byplay all about?

Chicks.

24. These 2 users like birdwatcher's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsnorth49 (01-24-2014), USAFChief (01-25-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 530 Times in 350 Posts
    Good stuff Seth, thanks. Didn't notice Plouffe in any of those pictures.....

Liked 386 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good stuff! It's reassuring that on an Internet forum, where in other parts of the internet posters are horrible human beings, here at TD we can be open, honest, and respectful... Though maybe a tad irreverent, a touchy subject was discussed in a civilized manner, and managed to make me laugh even while in a very foul mood.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast