Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Garza not yet part of BrewCrew, Twins could steal

Garza not yet part of BrewCrew, Twins could steal

Mass reports of Matt Garza signing a 4/52 deal are suddenly stated to be wrong (or not right yet). Brewers have stated that deal has yet to be reached, while Ken Rosenthal says otherwise. If Garza is still technically available, would the Twin's front office have the balls to swoop in, offer 4/55 or 4/60 and steal away Garza from under everybody's noses? Is this even a possibility? How amazing would it be to come out of this offseason with Garza, Nolasco, and Hughes! But again, I may just be grasping at straws here. Not even sure if possible.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    I think Ryan did not want to go that long of contract with Garza.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,606 Times in 833 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On top of that, I don't think Ryan's the type of guy to swoop a player from another general manager and potentially burn that bridge.

4. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (01-24-2014), twinsnorth49 (01-24-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    On top of that, I don't think Ryan's the type of guy to swoop a player from another general manager and potentially burn that bridge.
    Maybe he'll let Bill Smith handle this one then. He was more than eager to swipe Sano from under the nose of Pittsburgh.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,606 Times in 833 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Maybe he'll let Bill Smith handle this one then. He was more than eager to swipe Sano from under the nose of Pittsburgh.
    That's different, IMO. Pittsburgh balked at Sano and allowed the Twins to re-enter negotiations, didn't they? I think it's a little different if two teams are in negotiations with a player, the "winning" team gets cold feet, and the second place team re-ups their offer.

That doesn't seem to be the case with Garza. We don't know if the Twins were even in on the bidding and I don't recall a deal ever being announced between Pittsburgh and Sano.

I could be wrong, though... I'm just going from memory.

I don't think Garza is as big a prize as some make him out to be. This whole thing is a big nothing the Twins have no desire to make the team better by spending money.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTwinky View Post
    I don't think Garza is as big a prize as some make him out to be. This whole thing is a big nothing the Twins have no desire to make the team better by spending money.
    really, not spending money, come on

I do agree that Garza may not be worth the contract

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTwinky View Post
    Am I becoming a Sheldon Cooper (Big Bang Theory) by not being able to catch sarcasm or are you serious about spending money?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    The odds of the Twins signing Garza are as good as a 85 degree day in MN in January. Not gonna happen. Terry Ryan made his signings and they most likely told him that he had no more money to spend. But they put on a good show "claiming" to be in all most free agents.

Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Isn't the current payroll pretty close to last years? The pitcher signings make it appear that they have spent money, but they have mostly just rearranged what was pretty much the same amount.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    The odds of the Twins signing Garza are as good as a 85 degree day in MN in January. Not gonna happen. Terry Ryan made his signings and they most likely told him that he had no more money to spend. But they put on a good show "claiming" to be in all most free agents.
    I agree that the odds of picking up Garza are not good, but I don't think it is about money. If there were something that Terry really wanted he would make the move, but honestly I think most of us viewed Garza as a long shot from the very beginning.
    1) Injury - real or perceived to sign someone to a 3 or 4 year deal they want to be pretty sure that the player is going to be on the field for a majority of the contract.
    2) temperament - real or perceived things didn't end well the last time he was on the roster. Both Gardy and Terry were involved in some difficult times with the guy and were very involved in the decision to trade away a young player with a lot of talent.
    3) old school GM - Terry isn't going to get into a bidding war, especially when another GM is already in the final stages of signing a FA.

From the very beginning. TR looked at the starting pitching options, targeted who he wanted and then set out to sign 2 or 3 of them. We may all disagree with he evaluation and who he ultimately signed, but I'm sure he is comfortable and confident with what he accomplished this off season.

I can still see him addressing some other positions such as outfield, but I would be surprised if we sign another starting pitcher.
    Last edited by minn55441; 01-25-2014 at 09:22 AM.