Thread: Minor Leaguers no longer sign free?

Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Minor Leaguers no longer sign free?

Normally Dave St Peter will respond to tweets, especially if you ask more than once.

I never got a response back on if the 'on the farm' with minor leaguers will still be free at the new more costly twinsfest, and now I see why:
    http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/min/d...edule_0122.jpg

Every year little things like this make it tougher to be a fan :/

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Thanks for sharing.

In the past, all season ticket holder were all given free tickets to Twinsfest. That ended this year as well.

Granted all proceeds from Twinsfest do go to the Twins Community fund, so it is not as if there are making a profit from this. There have to be considerable expenses to putting on an event like this, what with travel and lodging for all of the players and just staffing target field for the three days is a huge undertaking. Just doesn't seem right for a team with 3 consecutive 90+ loss seasons. They should be working on attracting more fans, not making things more costly and difficult.

I am curious to hear how the event goes this year. Snowy, slushy, cold weather. But looks like the Twins are opening the ornate areas of Target Field. And they are putting 4-5 guys on each table, often it used to be just 3.

Yes, the funds go to a good cause and there is some expense (but it can also be organizational meeting time, and tying in with the Diamond Awards and Caravan).

But curious to see how the event does pan out from responses. Other teams have a lot less players in the fold for such events and actually charge more overall. The Twins high-priced stars this year have been reduced to just Mauer, with Carew and Blyleven also in THAT fold.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 94 Times in 56 Posts
    Good to see Mudcat there, and a steal for an autograph.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    But curious to see how the event does pan out from responses. Other teams have a lot less players in the fold for such events and actually charge more overall. The Twins high-priced stars this year have been reduced to just Mauer, with Carew and Blyleven also in THAT fold.
    Just like how they don't need to sell 60k seats to sell out anymore, nor do they have to sell a bunch to sell out twins fest, which did "sell out" today. So from the Twins point of view, I'm sure this will be seen as a huge success.

I just find it a shame that with each passing year of Target Field more and more little things that used to make being a Twins fan fun and affordable are going away in favor or targeting a different crowd of people who are willing to spend, spend, spend - even for trivial things.

6. This user likes BrentMpls's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Stan Zbornak (01-26-2014)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    Good to see Mudcat there, and a steal for an autograph.
    $20+handling fees, +$15, +transportation/parking is a steal, just not in the direction I'm assuming you mean (for the fan).

Mudcat is there every year, sans the kitties.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 94 Times in 56 Posts
    $15 for Mudcats' auto sounds like a good deal to me. If a person is going, that's the one they should get.