Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Miguel Sano: I expect 45 HR this year, and 120 BB

Liked 103 Times in 61 Posts
    As always the Strib comments on this article are priceless. Forever bashing Mauer for being plain and over paid, they seem appalled that Sano talked with confidence. I am looking forward to seeing some big personality and power on this team. I doubt he makes it out of spring, but by all star break hopefully it is tater mashing time.
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 242 Times in 175 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zchrz View Post
    As always the Strib comments on this article are priceless. Forever bashing Mauer for being plain and over paid, they seem appalled that Sano talked with confidence. I am looking forward to seeing some big personality and power on this team. I doubt he makes it out of spring, but by all star break hopefully it is tater mashing time.
    Personally I find his his confidence refreshing. But I do worry about Gardy becoming frustrated with him and in Gardy fashion, communicating his shortcomings through the media.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I cant wait to see the kid play. Gonna be fun.

And as for the Strib comment board, people still read those? I perfer not to feed the trolls.
    I bent my wookie...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    An interesting side note was the idea that working with Mauer helped him with plate discipline. Torii Hunter actually said the same thing and saw an improvement in his obp. So maybe it's more than lip service.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've got some great quotes from a lot of people/players from Twins Fest. One of the best came from Sano's agent, Rob Plummer, regarding walking and that the two of them discuss it. I'll post tonight.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernzy View Post
    I cant wait to see the kid play. Gonna be fun.

And as for the Strib comment board, people still read those? I perfer not to feed the trolls.
    I sometimes read those for kicks. I was surprised there was only 3 or 4 comments predicting the Twins would turn Sano into a slap singles hitter

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    FWIW: this is probably not breaking news by any means, but I spoke with that Jon Paley guy (director of the Sano film) at an event here in NYC back in April, says Sano is very intelligent and down to earth guy, but very confident. That to me bodes well for his mental makeup, where he should be able to over come any early set backs.

The home run trot aside (and even that sounds un-intentional), I haven't heard one real negative thing about him.

8. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (01-27-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    The home run trot aside (and even that sounds un-intentional), I haven't heard one real negative thing about him.
    I hope he has 40 nice, slow trots this year - nothing wrong with admiring your own handiwork from time to time.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Looking at the photo of Buxton and Sano, it's surprising to learn that Sano is 250 in that picture. Given that, however, there really isn't much surprise that he's as powerful as he is. Most impressively, however, he seems to understand the areas he needs to work on. He at least says the correct things about them.

Is is there any doubt, however, that he will drive Gardy absolutely nuts? This kid is a type "A" driven personality and "Minnesota nice" will never be part of his make up. Frankly, I've thought for some time that we've needed some driven personalities on the team and I'm glad we will have one in Sano.

As to his performance, if he can take his lessons from Mauer, Carew & Oliva and really learn from them he could do OK in the Grapefruit League this spring and go to Rochester and post numbers such that the Twins will have no choice but to bring him up very quickly.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Seth, a question, if you would. There are a lot of quotations attributed to Sano. Is his English as good as the quotes imply? Or are people ascribing things that he said by providing their own translations?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't have a problem with that goal. I do hope the kid hits it, but if he doesn't, I hope he knows how to deal with dissapointment. That's a tough task. Good luck to him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 277 Times in 144 Posts
    I'm thrilled that he says he wants a lot of bombs and also a lot of walks. I'm pretty sure he won't be happy with a .225 batting average either. And he knows he has to work to get there. Very nice combination of attributes.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 750 Times in 394 Posts
    I think he can do it, although the BB will be the harder goal to reach. Working with Mauer should help.

The real question is how many of those taters come at Target Field.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sano has 80 power, at least according to scouts... that's Thomesque... I don't think he's going to have problems mashing taters at TF. Right now, he needs to improve on contact more than anything else. I do think he can do that. His avg got sapped quite a bit in AA, but between the arm injury and the adjustments he had to make against tougher pitching, it wasn't terribly unexpected. I don't know if he starts in AAA or AA, but I think he goes right back to doing what he did in the low minors... hit.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Today was the first day of hitting on the field this spring. Sano was held to one round only, and then he sat out infield grounders. Looks like they are going to take it real slow with him this spring.

As for his English question, he's come a long ways. His English has really improved the last couple of years.

17. This user likes Halsey Hall's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (01-28-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
    Ummm, he has no chance of hitting 40 this year unless he spends the whole year in New Britain (and I love the guy as a prospect). I think we need a little reality check on where the kid is at (1/2 season at AA under his belt) and how rare it is to hit 40 homers at the major league level, or AAA for that matter. To put it in perspective, if / when he does it, it would make him the second Twin in history to do it behind some guy named Harmon Killebrew.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 814 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I hope he has 40 nice, slow trots this year - nothing wrong with admiring your own handiwork from time to time.
    Watching Gardy's head explode 40 times after those nice, slow trots would double the enjoyment.

20. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (01-28-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    Ummm, he has no chance of hitting 40 this year unless he spends the whole year in New Britain (and I love the guy as a prospect). I think we need a little reality check on where the kid is at (1/2 season at AA under his belt) and how rare it is to hit 40 homers at the major league level, or AAA for that matter. To put it in perspective, if / when he does it, it would make him the second Twin in history to do it behind some guy named Harmon Killebrew.
    Difficult, but not impossible. As rare as it is to hit 40 HR, it is even more rare to possess a True 80 power ratng. The Twins have had nothing like Sano since Killebrew, and athletically for a power hitter, nothng lke Sano (Winfield doesn't count).

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Mark McGwire hit 26 HRs playing at AA, AAA and MLB combined in 1986. The next year, his official rookie year, he hit 49. Sano hit 35 last year, and he did that even though missing significant time, playing in 2 tough pitcher's leagues, and not getting a September call-up.

There is a precedent and Sano is the real deal. The odds aren't high that he can accomplish his goal, but they aren't zero, either.

23. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (01-29-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Difficult, but not impossible. As rare as it is to hit 40 HR, it is even more rare to possess a True 80 power ratng. The Twins have had nothing like Sano since Killebrew, and athletically for a power hitter, nothng lke Sano (Winfield doesn't count).
    With all due respect, difficult is a severe understatement. How many players have played for the Twins since 1961 and there has been one guy to do it? That's quite a bit more than difficult. And while I respect the scouting rating, the difference is that is projection (opinion) and the lack of people ever accomplishing this feat is fact. It would be interesting to find out what percentage of players in the history of MLB have ever hit 40 homers in a season - it would be a miniscule number.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast