Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yoon and Waring and dues-paying

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 844 Times in 540 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I think the rotation and pen are a difficult comparison. You can typically take 2-3 guys that bounce around each year, 3 current players on your team, and 6-7 prospects to duke it out for the six bullpen spots. Most of these guys are making $500K a year and you are only asking for 50-70 innings out of each, often situational. Rotation guys make more and are asked to pitch 160-200 innings. I guess what I am trying to say is it is easier and cheaper to patch together a bullpen.

Last year is a perfect example, we were not lacking quantity, but quality.
    I agree, and in this instance, this is why I find Ryan's methodology somewhat flawed in pursuing his quantity theory, particularly when he was seemingly bidding up the price against himself to ink Pelfrey- particularly with so many other better (and sometimes even cheaper) options available-

who wouldn't take Garza instead of Pelfrey, if there were that many available excess dollars to be spent in trying to sign both?-

it's now pretty obvious that a slightly more agressive stance in pursuit of quality would have strengthened the rotation significantly.
    Last edited by jokin; 02-02-2014 at 08:31 PM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like the Twins are fading on Yoon, unless they are somehow one of the 2 teams allegedly still talking with Boras:

"Suk-Min Yoon held a workout on the campus of UC-Irvine Friday attended by the Giants and Orioles, per a report from SBS (h/t Dan Kurtz of MyKBO.net). Earlier this week, it was reported four clubs had extended offers to the Korean right-hander.....

with negotiations underway with two of those teams.

The Twins, Red Sox, and Indians have been linked to Yoon this offseason with varying degrees of interest."
    http://www.mykbo.net/KBO_news/februa...andomkbonews-1

That statement is slightly contradicted with this three-day earlier statement, that indicates the Twins are one of those teams likely priced out of the hunt:

Minnesota sports reporter, Darren Wolfson, suggested 2-years for $10 million to a Twins official about Yoon Suk-min and was quickly told that'd be too high Twitter
    Yoon Suk-min: Boras says Red Sox are one of 'many teams' interested per @nickcafardo, Indians checked in but said too much $ per @hoynsie
    http://www.mykbo.net/KBO_news/januar...andomkbonews-1

Boras had made it known a few days ago that Yoon would probably have a deal by the end of this coming week, thus, it's difficult to imagine that the Orioles and Giants were visiting for any reason other than a dog and pony show.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Maybe the Twins will get another shot at Yoon when the Orioles void his contract?:

Last edited by jokin; 02-12-2014 at 06:07 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12