Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Miguel Sano: I expect 45 HR this year, and 120 BB

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
    Blog Entries

Miguel Sano: I expect 45 HR this year, and 120 BB

After working with Joe Mauer this Spring, he expects his concept of the strike zone to increase and his walk totals to rise.

He also has high expectations to make the big league club out of Spring Training.

I love the 'juice' behind this kid. Humble, because, it's not outside the realm of possibility. Reminds me of Michael Jordan.

The Star Trib article is here.

2. These 2 users like twinsfan34's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-26-2014), TheLeviathan (01-26-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Also, in another clip, at the Twins WinterFest, Sano said he weighs 250 lbs.

I have some Ft. Myers Miracle baseball cards that list him at 243. It always bothers me when people try to put together "Top Prospect" lists and list his weight at 195. To me, that means, you've never even seen a video clip of the guy. He was 195 when he was 16-17 years old. A 'low ball' eyeballing him on YouTube would say he's at least 225.

I hope he doesn't get too much bigger than 250. Otherwise, Mauer will definitely be playing 3B in the near future.

Or as Gardy said in regards to Max Kepler, he'll eat himself out of the [position].

4. This user likes twinsfan34's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-26-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for this post. The clean bill of health is what got me most excited.

I also like his confidence. Sano and Arcia's "swag" could bring a good balance to Mauer and Buxton's calm, humble ways.

6. This user likes JP3700's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (01-26-2014)

Liked 320 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    Also, in another clip, at the Twins WinterFest, Sano said he weighs 250 lbs.

I have some Ft. Myers Miracle baseball cards that list him at 243. It always bothers me when people try to put together "Top Prospect" lists and list his weight at 195. To me, that means, you've never even seen a video clip of the guy. He was 195 when he was 16-17 years old. A 'low ball' eyeballing him on YouTube would say he's at least 225.

I hope he doesn't get too much bigger than 250. Otherwise, Mauer will definitely be playing 3B in the near future.

Or as Gardy said in regards to Max Kepler, he'll eat himself out of the [position].
    There is 250 and there is 250. Sano looks fine at 250. This is a press photo from the TwinsFest with him and Buxton:

Does not look like he is fat at all. All muscle. FWIW, Vargas is listed on the Twins' 40 man roster as 6'5" and 215. That's an about 50 lbs error there, and he is beefier than Sano, but still not fat by any means
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

8. These 3 users like Thrylos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (01-26-2014), Siehbiscuit (01-27-2014), twinsfan34 (01-26-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
    I believe Sano mentioned wanting to get down to 240 by spring training.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Yeah Sano looks to be more Scott Rolen than Pablo Sandoval on the 250 lb 3B body type scale.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
    Good for him. He will certainly have his struggles at the major league level, but his confidence should help carry him as he improves his game. God forbid anyone in this damn organization show a little fire
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I find Sano's expectations unrealistic but enjoy the confidence.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBroco View Post
    I find Sano's expectations unrealistic but enjoy the confidence.
    Pretty much how I feel too. Sano could hit 45 bombs in a season some day but his rookie year is pretty far fetched.

14. This user likes righty8383's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

#24 Sano (01-27-2014)

I could see Sano drive Gardy nuts from time to time.. But, I am excited for him.. I am guessing it will be best for him to start at AAA. The kid is still young.

Liked 320 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    Pretty much how I feel too. Sano could hit 45 bombs in a season some day but his rookie year is pretty far fetched.
    But

the kid can dream and aspire

and we can with him.

Nothing wrong with that. Much better than saying "I hope I will do ok" or something. Shoot high, otherwise you will never reach that...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 336 Times in 224 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    Mark McGwire (pre-steroid days) hit 49 in his rookie year.

45 homeruns for Sano? Difficult, but not impossible......particularly if Twins management let's him swing away like A's management did for the Bash Bros.

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm just happy his goals include drawing tons of walks--it shows he sees the value in strike zone control and patience.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    His Home Run power is instantly going to translate well in the major leagues, I bet if he played a full season he would easily top 30.

It's those other parts of the game where he will likely struggle a bit with off the bat (Strike outs, Pitch Selection, Batting Average)

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    FWIW-
    ZIPS projects Sano would hit 30 HR as a full-time major leaguer this year.....Oliver thinks he'd hit 41

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    His Home Run power is instantly going to translate well in the major leagues, I bet if he played a full season he would easily top 30.

It's those other parts of the game where he will likely struggle a bit with off the bat (Strike outs, Pitch Selection, Batting Average)
    Dave, I agree as well.

What's 'worse case scenario' of Sano in the bigs? A Rob Deere-esque .235-245-ish, 150-170 strikeouts with 28-35 bombs at the MLB level?

Some might say that would 'stunt' his growth. I don't know. Mike Trout only hit .220 in playing 40 games in from late July through September his rookie year. Then in Oct and Nov he only hit .245 at the Arizona Fall League. So, for 5 months, he only hit .220 to .245 against MLB and AA-ish competition. He seemed to turn out alright after that struggle. What? 10 WAR per year...

This past Wednesday, we got a chance to hear Mike Maddux speak and afterwards a Q&A. So I asked about the 'struggles' of what he has to work on with his pitchers, comparing and contrasting when he coached minor leagues and it was all 'feet' and 'striding straight towards' home, by the time they get to the pros, it's "all between the ears..."

I think there's learners and those who don't learn.

So that said, I believe Buxton and Sano are learners. They see something, they remember it. And then they have the physical ability to make them pay. Tony Oliva, Paul Molitor, and Rod Carew are some of the better hitters to ever play the game and they're present around the clubhouse here and there throughout the season. Molitor, obviously all the time. I think they'll do just fine.

Watching Xander Boegarts this past year from Boston was that way too.

OK...now I'm rambling. Looking forward to Spring Training!
    Last edited by twinsfan34; 01-26-2014 at 09:04 PM.

22. This user likes twinsfan34's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-26-2014)

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was there on Saturday for that Sano interview. I asked him the question, "So, you hit 30 homer runs two years ago in Beloit, and 35 home runs last year. What are your HR goals for 2014, 40 homers?"

He flashed a huge smile at me and that's when he said, "No, I hit 45 this year (huge laugh)... more games. Maybe 55. Never know. Working hard. Get a good pitch. That's it."

The man is going to be a star. He's got an amazing personality. He's a big kid. But, he's pretty driven.

As for the 250, he was 252 last year when he went to spring training, and got down to 243 or so. He said he hopes to get to 245 spring training. He hasn't been able to work out much. His elbow was in a sling for 6 weeks, and then he had the issues with his foot.

He and Buxton have a pretty great relationship. Sano said, "For me, Buxton is the best prospect in baseball." And he talked about playing with and seeing Tavares and Boegarts, but he loves Buxton. "He's a great person!"

He said that Trevor Plouffe calls him "Primo." Saws that Plouffe has been very supportive, told him to work hard.

Everything went good in his physical. Elbow is fine. Said he is throwing at 55 feet, a couple of reps of 20.

His agent, Rob Plummer was there as well. As well. He talked about how he's been through bone scans before he signed, he says he still feels like cattle.

At one point in the interview, he looked under the desk that he was sitting at and found a hair shaver. He picked it up and was looking at it. He turned it on at one point and everyone was laughing, including Miguel.

24. These 3 users like Seth Stohs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-26-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (01-27-2014), JB_Iowa (01-27-2014)

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He is going to work with Joe on plate discipline, and he knows that it's important to walk. Rob Plummer said, "I've been doing this for 20 years, and I think Miguel could walk 100 times a year. I think he knows how important it is to add that to On Base Plus Slugging percentage, to have an OPS over 1.000. We go over that stat a lot."

One of the reporters in the room asked if 100 was the benchmark, and that's when he said, "120... 150..."

Seriously, the guy has so much personality. It's going to be fun.

26. These 2 users like Seth Stohs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-26-2014), Siehbiscuit (01-27-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    Dave, I agree as well.

What's 'worse case scenario' of Sano in the bigs? A Rob Deere-esque .235-245-ish, 150-170 strikeouts with 28-35 bombs at the MLB level?

Some might say that would 'stunt' his growth. I don't know. Mike Trout only hit .220 in playing 40 games in from late July through September his rookie year. Then in Oct and Nov he only hit .245 at the Arizona Fall League. So, for 5 months, he only hit .220 to .245 against MLB and AA-ish competition. He seemed to turn out alright after that struggle. What? 10 WAR per year...

This past Wednesday, we got a chance to hear Mike Maddux speak and afterwards a Q&A. So I asked about the 'struggles' of what he has to work on with his pitchers, comparing and contrasting when he coached minor leagues and it was all 'feet' and 'striding straight towards' home, by the time they get to the pros, it's "all between the ears..."

I think there's learners and those who don't learn.

So that said, I believe Buxton and Sano are learners. They see something, they remember it. And then they have the physical ability to make them pay. Tony Oliva, Paul Molitor, and Rod Carew are some of the better hitters to ever play the game and they're present around the clubhouse here and there throughout the season. Molitor, obviously all the time. I think they'll do just fine.

Watching Xander Boegarts this past year from Boston was that way too.

OK...now I'm rambling. Looking forward to Spring Training!
    No problem. Ramble On! It's February next weekend.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    He is going to work with Joe on plate discipline, and he knows that it's important to walk. Rob Plummer said, "I've been doing this for 20 years, and I think Miguel could walk 100 times a year. I think he knows how important it is to add that to On Base Plus Slugging percentage, to have an OPS over 1.000. We go over that stat a lot."

One of the reporters in the room asked if 100 was the benchmark, and that's when he said, "120... 150..."

Seriously, the guy has so much personality. It's going to be fun.
    Seth, can't thank you enough. We heard a lot about some negative stuff what with some maturation processes and growing pain issues in 2013. Your report indicates we're going to have another Kirby-type personality coming our way very, very soon. Good to hear about how Plouffe and Mauer are handling the coming circus in such a professional manner, as well. Hope to see you down at Spring Training, I get the feeling that this one could be the most memorable one in a long time. TR's on WCCO tonight, and he says the Big Three timetable for their own promotions is all up to them, let's hold him to that admonition.

Is there an official independent medical report out there about the elbow?
    Last edited by jokin; 01-26-2014 at 11:29 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast