Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Twins Fest: One Family's Review

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Fest: One Family's Review

2. This user likes Don't Feed the Greed Guy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-28-2014)

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hi, Don't Feed the Greed Guy! I was the guy a table over from you at the Meltdown opening baseball cards who came up with the Scott Erickson card you and your son got signed for me.

Nice review! I agree that the biggest problem was the accessibility of the schedules: finding it online, printing it, and/or obtaining one once at TwinsFest. My attempts to find and use a schedule sound very similar to yours.

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    Great review and nice to see those smiling faces!

Sounds like your "biggest complaints" are ones that the Twins staff can easily solve for next year.

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 48 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great review! My wife and I had a very similar experience on Saturday and were overall pleased with the event at Target Field.

They posted better versions of the brochures on the TwinsFest page on Thursday (right before the event) and you could print off just the map, schedule, etc. That made things easier, but it was a bit frustrating that it took so long to get that info in an easy to read form. As we came in the gate on Saturday, we were handed a brochure by a friendly volunteer. It seemed like it was hard NOT to get one - so maybe they adjusted that after feedback from the first day?

I'd like to know the official re-entry policy for the event. It sounds like your wife was able to leave and come back in with no issues, while I was told at the event that there was "no re-entry". The yard sale had the 1991 World Series bobble head set for $150 and I WOULD have grabbed one, if I didn't have to lug it around all day (this was at 10:30 am, we stayed until 5:45) the boxes were large and awkward - no way I was carrying them all day long. I asked if I could take it to my car after buying it and a volunteer told me that I couldn't come back in after leaving. Sounds like that might not have been true, which is a bummer because I really wanted that set.

I hope they tweak the lower level layout a bit. It was too hard to navigate through the vendors on Saturday (crowded) and it was awfully dark in the hallway, which made it tough to see prices.

Finally, I'd like to see a better system when it comes to autographs for Byron Buxton and Miguel Sano. I got into the Buxton line at 2pm on Saturday (he was scheduled to sign at 3:15 to 4:15) and I was probably #250 in the line. I ended up not getting Buxton at all, which is a bummer since I spent 2 hours in line. (I did get Sano, since they shared the same suite and those that missed Buxton essentially became the front of the Sano line). Maybe wristbands or numbers should be handed out for those two as well.

While there were some growing pains with the new venue, I agree with your assessment - the event should stay at Target Field.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    A no re-entry policy seems ludicrous. TwinsFest is all about selling autographs and memorabilia to fans. It's like Target having a no re-entry policy.

Your experience with the Buxton line reminds me why I don't attend. Why would I want to pay a $20 entry fee to stand in line all day?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Thanks for the write-up. I've never been there as I'm in Fort Myers at the time, but it's always nice to read how things go up there. Talked to a few players that were there today and they said it was cold. One of my friends down here flew up for it but haven't seen him yet to get his scoop. Sounds like the crowds were way down, but then that's better for those that did go. Glad it was worth the drive for you, and something the boys won't forget.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Both days I entered, the people scanning tickets and security guards were telling people they could get their ticket marked and re-enter.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good stuff

But but but: What's up with that Pirates' jersey? (Nice retro jersey, btw)

10. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsnorth49 (01-27-2014)

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Both days I entered, the people scanning tickets and security guards were telling people they could get their ticket marked and re-enter.
    That's good, I thought no re-entry was a bit odd. Sounds like the volunteer we asked had bad information. I really wanted that bobble head set too. Oh well, things to remember for next year I suppose.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Good stuff

But but but: What's up with that Pirates' jersey? (Nice retro jersey, btw)
    Not so much a Pirates jersey, as a Clemente jersey. It's part of my subtle desire to see #21 retired next to #42, someday. Interestingly, I had a brief conversation with Kris Atteberry about this at the Fan Feud venue. It started much the same as your comment, "What's up with the Buc's jersey?" That's my usual "in" to preach about Clemente. Atteberry replied that the not so subtle push for retiring #21 is growing throughout the MLB.

For those interested, and those who need to be convinced, check out David Maraniss' biography "Clemente: The Passion and Grace of Baseball's Last Hero" http://www.amazon.com/Clemente-Passi.../dp/074329999X Maraniss is a Pulitzer-winning reporter who has written about Vietnam, political leaders, Vince Lombardi, and Sweetness (Clemente was sweet long before Sir Walter Payton). I'm barely into the book, but may post a review when finished.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiee of the Year View Post
    Hi, Don't Feed the Greed Guy! I was the guy a table over from you at the Meltdown opening baseball cards who came up with the Scott Erickson card you and your son got signed for me.

Nice review! I agree that the biggest problem was the accessibility of the schedules: finding it online, printing it, and/or obtaining one once at TwinsFest. My attempts to find and use a schedule sound very similar to yours.
    Hey Wookiee! Yes, that was a fun moment. Your card gave the little guy an opportunity to show up his big brother, who didn't dare ask Erickson for the autograph. Fun times.

Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great article. Thanks for posting this.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Talked with my friend who went up for it this morning. He was disappointed over all. He collects cards, etc. It cost $650 for a table for the dealers, and it was so dark in there you really couldn't tell the grade of the cards. So he only bought newer cards, and the dealers were selling cheap, trying to recoup table rent.

He went to the garage sale, but was late. A friend of his got in at the start and bought 9 game used jerseys at 50 each with a 20% discount, including Florimon, Dozier and Kubel. Really a good price! Most all that was gone when he got there but he did buy a bobblehead set for $120. They were 20% off if 6 or more purchased so he got together with a couple other guys and they bought the 6. The first thing he did friday night was get in the Buxton line and got that signed no problem. Saturday he said that line was very long. He was happy they had elevators. There's some kinks to work out before next year.

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post

He went to the garage sale, but was late. A friend of his got in at the start and bought 9 game used jerseys at 50 each with a 20% discount, including Florimon, Dozier and Kubel. Really a good price! Most all that was gone when he got there but he did buy a bobblehead set for $120. They were 20% off if 6 or more purchased so he got together with a couple other guys and they bought the 6.
    That reminds me of my other gripe. The yard sale - while a great idea - was executed poorly. By 10am on Saturday it was already cleaned out. I wanted a Dozier jersey and a batting helmet but by early Saturday, only Sept. call ups and spring training jerseys (without numbers most of the time) remained. Batting helmets were gone, as were most of the other desirables (player artwork, banners - etc.) I'm not sure how they fix that, as all they want to do is sell it (they could care less WHEN it's sold, I'm sure) so I think the lesson is go on Friday if you want anything cool.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iTwins View Post
    That reminds me of my other gripe. The yard sale - while a great idea - was executed poorly. By 10am on Saturday it was already cleaned out. I wanted a Dozier jersey and a batting helmet but by early Saturday, only Sept. call ups and spring training jerseys (without numbers most of the time) remained. Batting helmets were gone, as were most of the other desirables (player artwork, banners - etc.) I'm not sure how they fix that, as all they want to do is sell it (they could care less WHEN it's sold, I'm sure) so I think the lesson is go on Friday if you want anything cool.
    It was pretty picked over by 8 pm Friday.

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice write up! I have to agree about the brochures, I went on Sunday and had to search for one too. I remember in the past they gave you a bag with a brochure as you walked in so I thought that was odd. Maybe it was just one of those things because it was the first year at Target Field...overall I thought the Twins did a good job with the revamped TwinsFest. It was definitely different but it was really interesting to see some of the different areas of Target Field that you don't get to see at a game. I hope they continue this for next year because I'd definitely bring my nephews, they would have loved going into the Twins clubhouse!