Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith Law Rankings

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries

Keith Law Rankings

ESPN has just released Keith Law's Farm System Rankings. You have to be an insider to read the whole thing but I will share that the Twins are ranked 2nd behind the Astros.
    One quick quote...
    They have a pair of potential future MVP candidates in Byron Buxton and Miguel Sano, with more power arms than this system has had in ages
    Tomorrow they will come out with Klaw's top 100 which I will share here. Then Thursday the top 10 list for each AL team. Looking forward to both.

2. These 2 users like righty8383's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (01-28-2014), Turd Furgeson (01-28-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks! I think I would put the Astros just ahead as well, and then the Cubs, Red Sox, Pirates, and Royals right behind the Twins.

4. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-28-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's nice praise given that Law doesn't seem to be a big fan of the Twins in general. He loves his tools too, so I wouldn't be surprised if he has a lot of Twins in his top 100.

6. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (01-28-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Just that little blurb is more exciting than anything else in Twins fans short-term memory. Excite!
    Till I Collapse

Liked 50 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd agree with Law on this one. The Pirates are right there as well along with the Cubs and Red Sox. He also mentions that the Astros have just a slight bit more depth than the Twins and says "the gap between the systems is quite small".

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Considering we graduated three top 100 guys off of Laws list last year (Hicks, Gibson and Arcia) it's remarkable how strong the system still is.

Blog Entries
    Top 100 out today. 1-50 and 51-100

Buxton-1
    Sano-8
    Rosario-49
    Meyer-62
    Stewart-76

Blog Entries
    I'm sure many here will share the same sentiment as me that Meyer was a little lower than expected.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow...

Addison Russell, #3. Well, he was 19...and he A+ ball pretty well.

Interesting, he only has 5 Twins on the top 100, but yet, felt they were neck and neck with the Astros for the #1 overall farm system. Astros had 9 guys?

Blog Entries
    I counted 7 for the Astros.

I'm looking forward to the Astros returning to relevancy in the near future. It will be fun to see both them and the Athletics fighting for the top spot in the West and beating out the big payroll Rangers and Angels.

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    I'd guess that Meyer's and Stewart's rankings mostly reflect the fact that the minor leagues are loaded right now with elite pitching prospects. We just graduated three prospects (Gibson, Hicks, Arcia), which was two more prospects that the White Sox had on last year's list. To be even a top 5 system is huge these days, because the changes in the rules are making it much more difficult to improve your farm system relative to others. I look at the AL Central and see KC as the big threat (ranked #7) because they have three elite pitching prospects ready soon, and good overall depth to eventually supplement their young nucleus in the show. Then teams fall off the cliff. Cleveland is ranked #17, Chicago #26 and Detroit #28?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    Sano at 8 is ridiculous. Typical KLaw and his Twins hating ways....

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I do not know if one can really say that. KLaw did rank the Twins system as number two and that doesn't sound like hating to me. Now having said that I do think he is a bit full of himself and does not like to admit he is wrong and he has been wrong about many things on the Twins.

Liked 287 Times in 145 Posts

Defense seems to be the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    KLaw really likes the "total package" guys, and defense is a huge part of that package. If Sano is going to play below-average defense, his "best offensive prospect in the minors" status is only going to carry him so high.

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When five of the top 7 players are shortstops, it's fair to say Law values defensive chops. And when none of the top eight are pitchers, it's fair to say TINSTAAPP applies, too.

Rosario is the top rated 2B, and I was surprised to see Wong listed so low. Is the higher rating for Rosario based on Laws projection to move him out to OF after his suspension? I realize that Rosario's experience in the middle infield is limited, but have we thought about trying him at SS?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    I was surprised to here the "rumors" about Rosario being an alleged bad kid. Again, in his chat, KLaw was asked something about his character and he reiterated the point that he had questionable character. If Klaw hears it, I would bet it has some wheels. The kid did fail two drug tests. I don't understand kids smoking pot when they know they can be tested...dumb

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer07 View Post
    KLaw really likes the "total package" guys, and defense is a huge part of that package. If Sano is going to play below-average defense, his "best offensive prospect in the minors" status is only going to carry him so high.
    I agree, and Sano's defense may impact his value at the plate. If he can't stick at 3B and moves to 1B, LF, or DH his value drops. He would still lead this team in OPS or be in the top 2, but his value takes a hit. Compare that with guys that can hit and are locks to stay at SS like Correa or Russell. Some find his K's as an issue as well.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    Top 100 out today. 1-50 and 51-100

Buxton-1
    Sano-8
    Rosario-49
    Meyer-62
    Stewart-76
    Did he expand on Meyer at all? Seems like a 98 mph fastball and 91 mph slider would be closer to MLB's ranking of 28.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast