Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 88

Thread: Stephen Drew

  1. #41
    Senior Member Triple-A gil4's Avatar
    Posts
    455
    Like
    21
    Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    ...am I the only one who thinks we shouldn't be discounting Escobar?
    I'll second the motion.

  2. #42
    Senior Member Triple-A gil4's Avatar
    Posts
    455
    Like
    21
    Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Nope, I listed Escobar as someone that might be blocked by Drew/Bartlett. I'd rather have Escobar up here than Bartlett.
    I think he might be blocked by Florimon and we might want to look a bit longer to see if we'd rather have him starting.

  3. #43
    Senior Member Triple-A Reider's Avatar
    Posts
    223
    Like
    128
    Liked 58 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    I think he might be blocked by Florimon and we might want to look a bit longer to see if we'd rather have him starting.
    Escobar will have an opportunity in spring training to prove he deserves a starting spot just like everyone else in camp.

  4. #44
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,917
    Like
    453
    Liked 593 Times in 320 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Me making assumptions? didnt I say a young guy to grow up with the team?
    Well guess what, right now today , we aint got much of a team...when the 1st and 2nd wave of kids get here we will start to have something, so maybe 2014 -2016 he is ready , and that is when we will see most of our kids here , so I would make the assumtion that would be growing up with the team. As for Drew , not sure he will hit enough to make up for the defensive ability of florimon, and Me likes having the 2nd round pick this year(41-46th), hopefully our last drafing in the top 3rd of the draft, but if you believe the experts we have at least another year of losing 90+ games
    I have no problem with the interest in Diaz, you might be right, although there is question about his range at SS. My question was what that had to do with signing Drew, we're mainly talking about making the team better right now, especially offensively. If you don't want to lose the pick, fair enough, personally I would.

  5. #45
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,917
    Like
    453
    Liked 593 Times in 320 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I've made my statements on Drew on many occasions. I don't see the big deal either way.

    That said, am I the only one who thinks we shouldn't be discounting Escobar? The guy has shown flashes in his career of being able to hit quite well, and he's young enough that it could still translate in the majors...


    /and I really really really want to be able to run the Liriano trade into Sox fans.
    I think it's a definite possibility Escobar is the Twins starting SS by the end of June.

  6. #46
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    132
    Like
    0
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I guess this is where I differ with many of you.

    Prospects are nice, but a 22 yr old who threw 16 innings for Elizabethton last year (and didnt impress much at that) is so far from being of any value to the major league team as to not be worth serious consideration compared to someone who can help the major league team immediately.

    I get that every team needs to fill its system with talent, and hope that eventually a little bubbles to the top now and then. I also understand you might get a better prospect at that spot this year. You also might get worse, or not sign the guy you do draft.

    This team has lost almost 300 games in three seasons. They should be worried about putting a better product on the field now, more so than what a second round pick might do for them in 2017.
    This. The offense looks terrible right now, and Florimon is the darkest of the black holes in the line up. And there is no Buxton or Sano coming at SS. We have a need now and for the next couple years and a chance to address it. To pass on filling such an obvious hole over a second round pick is why I can't stand Terry Ryan sometimes. Always worrying about a tomorrow that never comes.

  7. These 2 users like howeda7's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    GCTF (02-04-2014), USAFChief (02-04-2014)

  8. #47
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,827
    Like
    131
    Liked 277 Times in 180 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I don't get the Escobar love. He's a nice utility guy. But his range is marginal, and his bat is not much better. His career minor league OPS is .673, which projects him at around .600 as a full-time player in the majors. For reference, Florimon is a career .675 OPS guy in the minors and produced a .611 OPS in the majors last year, with better range and a stronger arm.

    I suspect the Escobar love is a little like the back-up QB love we often hear on talk radio. He's a nice bench alternative, but he's not an upgrade. If you want an upgrade this year, you better hope that Bartlett returns renewed and refreshed and ready to make a comeback.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  9. #48
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    158
    Like
    11
    Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I don't get the Escobar love. He's a nice utility guy. But his range is marginal, and his bat is not much better. His career minor league OPS is .673, which projects him at around .600 as a full-time player in the majors. For reference, Florimon is a career .675 OPS guy in the minors and produced a .611 OPS in the majors last year, with better range and a stronger arm.

    I suspect the Escobar love is a little like the back-up QB love we often hear on talk radio. He's a nice bench alternative, but he's not an upgrade. If you want an upgrade this year, you better hope that Bartlett returns renewed and refreshed and ready to make a comeback.
    I have to agree. I'm assuming it has something to do with the hot start he had last year as well. I can't say much about his defense as I don't remember studying him all that closely. Florimon looked great defensively by my eye test and seems to be an ok stopgap until the someone can come up and supplant him.

    I'm all for getting Drew or Diaz as Florimon isn't likely the long term answer but Escobar definitely isn't.

  10. #49
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    492
    Like
    3
    Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Escobar is not Florimon. The love he is shown is sort of like the second string qb thing when your favorite football team is not doing well.

  11. This user likes The Wise One's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    notoriousgod71 (02-04-2014)

  12. #50
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,163
    Like
    19
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Jim Bowden says the Red Sox have a two year offer out to Drew. If the assumption is that Drew would prefer play for a winner and stay where he's familiar, that almost surely means the Twins would have to offer three years which I hope is a deal breaker.

    Of course Jim Bowden has proven to be inaccurate and delusional many times.

  13. #51
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,613
    Like
    36
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    If people don't want to sign Drew, thats fine. But to imply that the Twins have ANY legit in house candidates who will be anything more than a bottom third overall SS in this league is just wrong.

    Escobar is a fringe 25 man roster type on a bad team, on a good team he has no real place. Florimon can't hit, period. He is a slick defender, but I think he isn't truly "elite" defensively. He is nothing more than a stop gap.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald


  14. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    mike wants wins (02-04-2014)

  15. #52
    Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    6,932
    Like
    1,003
    Liked 1,220 Times in 730 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    Escobar is not Florimon. The love he is shown is sort of like the second string qb thing when your favorite football team is not doing well.
    For me, the love (or optimism) for Escobar comes from him having completed just his age-24 season and the hope he still can progress a bit more at the plate. Bring that OPS up to .700, which his stint at AAA suggests is possible, and he's a useful player. Florimon, being two years older and starting from a lower base of demonstrated production, does not have even this same modest ceiling.

  16. #53
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,684
    Like
    32
    Liked 752 Times in 419 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    For me, the love (or optimism) for Escobar comes from him having completed just his age-24 season and the hope he still can progress a bit more at the plate. Bring that OPS up to .700, which his stint at AAA suggests is possible, and he's a useful player. Florimon, being two years older and starting from a lower base of demonstrated production, does not have even this same modest ceiling.
    That's pretty much how I feel about it. I don't expect either player to be a competent starter in the majors but I reserve a small amount of hope that Escobar can pull it off.

    Florimon, not so much.

  17. #54
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    878
    Like
    108
    Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    Escobar is not Florimon. The love he is shown is sort of like the second string qb thing when your favorite football team is not doing well.
    And in this case Florimon is Ponder and Escobar is Freeman. Or is it the other way around?

  18. #55
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,129
    Like
    3
    Liked 174 Times in 104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Jim Bowden says the Red Sox have a two year offer out to Drew. If the assumption is that Drew would prefer play for a winner and stay where he's familiar, that almost surely means the Twins would have to offer three years which I hope is a deal breaker.

    Of course Jim Bowden has proven to be inaccurate and delusional many times.
    Depends on the AAV. If Boston's offer is 2/20 or 2/24, then something between 3/30 or 3/36 could still be in play.

  19. #56
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    212
    Like
    0
    Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
    Regarding Florimon versus Escobar - I see no real urgency with either of these two players, the effect they will have on how well the team does with these two in 2014 is minimal. And by the time the team is ready to compete for post-season play in 2016 and beyond neither will be on the roster, correct? At that time Santana will be the regular shortstop - no doubt in my mind.

  20. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Regarding Florimon versus Escobar - I see no real urgency with either of these two players, the effect they will have on how well the team does with these two in 2014 is minimal. And by the time the team is ready to compete for post-season play in 2016 and beyond neither will be on the roster, correct? At that time Santana will be the regular shortstop - no doubt in my mind.
    I am sure you are right that neither Florimon or Escobar is the starting SS in 2016 but I am not as certain as you that it will be Santana. An international FA perhaps or a trade with one of the teams with depth at SS. Who knows, maybe it's Turner. I kind of like that idea because Buxton and Turner would be a lot of fun to watch on the base pads. Of course, Santana has good speed as well.

  21. #58
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,684
    Like
    32
    Liked 752 Times in 419 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Depends on the AAV. If Boston's offer is 2/20 or 2/24, then something between 3/30 or 3/36 could still be in play.
    If no one else will offer Drew a third year, I don't think the Twins should be the team to go that extra mile.

    I'd much rather see them tack on a million or two per year than add a third year to the deal. The way the market has softened on players in recent weeks, there's no reason to buy a season of a mid-30s Stephen Drew, in my opinion.

  22. #59
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    212
    Like
    0
    Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
    Will the Twins take Trea Turner to fix the shortstop position ultimately?

  23. #60
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,115
    Like
    370
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    Escobar is not Florimon. The love he is shown is sort of like the second string qb thing when your favorite football team is not doing well.
    Nothing like that, at all. This is liking a similar, but younger, Taxi Squad QB over the incumbent third-string QB.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.