Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Stephen Drew

I'm afraid if Santana was going to amount to anything, it would have happened by now. Escobar 2 with a slightly better stick.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    I'm afraid if Santana was going to amount to anything, it would have happened by now.
    You're ready to write off a player who just turned 23 in the off-season?

3. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsnorth49 (03-17-2014)

Liked 1,678 Times in 838 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    You're ready to write off a player who just turned 23 in the off-season?
    Guess we can throw in the towel on Hicks. And at least a dozen other prospects. But hey, it'll make it a bit easier to keep track of the minors.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 03-17-2014 at 02:19 PM.

5. This user likes LaBombo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-17-2014)

Blog Entries
    And just to be clear, as Riverbrian reminds me in another thread, I was a terrible player at age 23, likewise at 14 and 19 and 26 and 30, ditto now at age fifty-mumble-mumble - it would have been a waste of anyone's time to have me in a minor league system at age 23 or any age.

I'm not saying that age by itself makes a prospect worthwhile; you want to see progress too.

Looking at Santana's minor league hitting record, I'm seeing progress. I don't know how to judge his defense from afar; maybe someone up close sees a red flag there that says give up, but that's not what I'm reading.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    And just to be clear, as Riverbrian reminds me in another thread, I was a terrible player at age 23, likewise at 14 and 19 and 26 and 30, ditto now at age fifty-mumble-mumble - it would have been a waste of anyone's time to have me in a minor league system at age 23 or any age.

I'm not saying that age by itself makes a prospect worthwhile; you want to see progress too.

Looking at Santana's minor league hitting record, I'm seeing progress. I don't know how to judge his defense from afar; maybe someone up close sees a red flag there that says give up, but that's not what I'm reading.
    IIRC when Santana was sent down he said he was told to work on making the routine plays. I am sure that there are plenty of interpretations of that. Given that he has a lot of errorrs my guess he loses focus on the routine plays.. As the game speeds up, you can not do that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    IIRC when Santana was sent down he said he was told to work on making the routine plays. I am sure that there are plenty of interpretations of that. Given that he has a lot of errorrs my guess he loses focus on the routine plays.. As the game speeds up, you can not do that.
    What counts as a routine play also changes as you near the major league level. The comment by itself doesn't really tell me whether progress has stopped or not. I think it's already been mentioned that "routine play" was the knock on Florimon when he first arrived, and you don't hear it now, so evidently he progressed even into his mid-20s. I'll need to read something worse before I write off D. Santana.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 168 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was surprised to read that the Tigers have no interest in Drew.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...igers-thinking

They say they will go within the organization.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 851 Times in 547 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    I was surprised to read that the Tigers have no interest in Drew.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...igers-thinking

They say they will go within the organization.
    They are in the major process of cutting back the payroll/positioning to extend the top players. A Drew signing would go directly against that strategy. How about offering them Florimon?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345