Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Twins Sign Matt Guerrier to Minor League Deal

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    it is nothing more then bringing back a known name in hopes of selling a couple more tickets.
    it adds nothing to the future.
    I sincerely doubt the addition of Matt Guerrier will increase ticket sales.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok then let me point out the Major leaque contracts....
    Nolasco last 4 years has an ERA over 4.50 in 3 of 4 years,career 4.37
    Hughes last season 5.19, yes he had an ERA of 4.19 in 2 of the last 4 , but is all HOPE
    Pelfrey last season 5.19 ERA, and a career 4.48 ERA
    Suzuki .235 AVG. over the last 4 years.....
    then lets add former twins who best days are past and who will take minor leaque deals.
    and this is what we are suppose to applaud? really REALLY?
    Well, apparently you know whom to sign instead with the pool of money they had. Or, maybe you would prefer to sign nobody. In the absence of an alternative, it's just whining.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    ok so wich reliever do we dump to open a space for Matt?
    yes there is nothing wrong with this signing, but its tje combined total signings that make this 1 , a bad deal...it brings nothing to the future...adds no piece to the puzzle of a championship

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Well, apparently you know whom to sign instead with the pool of money they had. Or, maybe you would prefer to sign nobody. In the absence of an alternative, it's just whining.
    I would happily debate you on this , but I would be banned....

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    In re: to Baker. I think he has a better shot to crack the Mariners opening day roster then the Twins, who are pretty set at this point with Nolasco, Hughes, Pelfrey, Correia and whoever is out of options.

Member Rookie
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    it is a thread about signing Matt Guerrier. there is nothing to debate. there is no downside to this signing

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    ok so wich reliever do we dump to open a space for Matt?
    yes there is nothing wrong with this signing, but its tje combined total signings that make this 1 , a bad deal...it brings nothing to the future...adds no piece to the puzzle of a championship
    You don't have to dump anyone. If he's not good enough he goes to Rochester unless he has some kind of opt out clause in which case he's released, nothing lost.

You can't seriously argue that the Twins should never use minor league free agency.

Also, Carl Willis didn't prevent the Twins from winning the championship in 1991. He was a pretty solid grab actually.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 01-29-2014 at 01:45 PM.

8. These 2 users like nicksaviking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

luckylager (01-29-2014), pierre75275 (01-29-2014)

Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    This is a minor league deal.

It doesn't cost a spot on the 40-man, correct?

It's hard to see any harm. Sounds like he has a fair amount of rehab yet to do but you never know when a little depth might come in handy.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    "No downside?" Everybody needs innings to be evaluated and to be prepared for the ensuing season. Innings used on "filler" are not available for those who will be: 1) on the active roster and 2) those who project to be on the active roster in the near future. A concern is when the final cut is made and the decision is between "the old shoe" and promising younger guy--who is selected?

I forgot to say: "Is Guerrier the guy that Gardenhire was referring to with 'Wow'?"
    Last edited by Kwak; 01-29-2014 at 02:06 PM.

11. This user likes Kwak's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (01-29-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    "No downside?" Everybody needs innings to be evaluated and to be prepared for the ensuing season. Innings used on "filler" are not available for those who will be: 1) on the active roster and 2) those who project to be on the active roster in the near future. A concern is when the final cut is made and the decision is between "the old shoe" and promising younger guy--who is selected?
    Almost certainly the guy who will best help the team win. Ask Jacque Jones circa 2010.

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    In re: to Baker. I think he has a better shot to crack the Mariners opening day roster then the Twins, who are pretty set at this point with Nolasco, Hughes, Pelfrey, Correia and whoever is out of options.
    63-48 4.14 ERA better career numbers then the 4 pitchers you are touting

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfanstl View Post
    it is a thread about signing Matt Guerrier. there is nothing to debate. there is no downside to this signing
    It's depth. The only thing it costs is money and I don't think anyone is against Terry spending more of the Pohlad's Money. You can't argue against a move like this. If he pitches well, he may contribute. If he pitches poorly, he is sent to Rochester or released. In the case of an injury or someone else just doesn't preform you can't ever have too many arms heading into the season.

Some may not like the other signings, but there is nothing to argue here.

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Fangraph has the Twins rotation listed as the 28th of 30 rotations...
    I would gladly take Seattle rotation over our current rotation any day, and if your honest, most here would also

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post

I forgot to say: "Is Guerrier the guy that Gardenhire was referring to with 'Wow'?"
    If the old shoe is a 35 year old reliever with a career ERA+ of 120, and he is healthy, he could beat out the 25 year old with the career ERA+ of 98.

I don't think Guerrier or Santana are the "wow" impending signings. I think we are talking about one of the guys who requires draft compensation. That's why they opened up a spot on the 40 man roster, by moving Albers to Korea.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I sincerely doubt the addition of Matt Guerrier will increase ticket sales.
    Wow! Where do I sign up?

/irony

I would actually pay real money to see Johan one more time, even if he gets shelled.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 493 Times in 288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Almost certainly the guy who will best help the team win. Ask Jacque Jones circa 2010.
    Hey is Jacque available for a minor league deal?

True there's no downside for the Twins by this. And I trust Terry Ryan as a scout. But collectively, there's something a little off key about bringing back all these former Twins from the glory years. Don't people have that sense or am I imagining things? I will count Pelfrey in that group-I am happy to have him back but he was practically begging on hands and knees to come back here. Why?

I can't exactly put my finger on why these ex Twin deals are starting to feel redundant or desperate or whatever, but I will back johnnyd on this! If a couple of these guys perform and help us get back to winning, I will be happy to eat my words.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,315 Times in 710 Posts
    it is nothing more then bringing back a known name in hopes of selling a couple more tickets.
    it adds nothing to the future.
    It's nothing more than looking at every possible way to improve your team, with virtually zero cost and no impact to your 40 man roster.

Complain about the major league signings all you like, but this? Pick your battles, this is just completely misplaced outrage.
    Last edited by twinsnorth49; 01-29-2014 at 02:47 PM.

20. These 4 users like twinsnorth49's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (01-29-2014), minn55441 (01-29-2014), pierre75275 (01-29-2014), snepp (01-29-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 493 Times in 288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    Wow! Where do I sign up?

/irony

I would actually pay real money to see Johan one more time, even if he gets shelled.
    Actually I would too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    True there's no downside for the Twins by this...., but I will back johnnyd on this!
    True snow is white, but snow is also black.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Not sure there is much too it, but Gardy did mention in one of this interviews around Twinsfest, something to the effect of wanting to change the attitude of the club. I think he said "bring in winners" or "bring in guys that know what it is like to win". Most of these former Twins were part of a number of winning seasons. The same can't be said about most of the roster that has been turned over since 2010.

We did lose some vocal clubhouse guys in Cuddy, Punto and Nathan. Perhaps they are trying to change the attitude and know what they are getting in some of these older but known commodities. They don't have to make the 40 man roster to have an impact on the roster and the approach the young guys have to the game.

24. This user likes minn55441's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

SydneyTwinsFan (01-29-2014)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast